• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

1999 SE 2.0L 4 Cylinder VCT

99contourSE

CEG'er
I was wondering if there is any way to split the exhaust and have a true dual from the manifolds or if I have to get specialized headers. And even at that, is it even possible to split the exhaust on the 2.0L? How will my car run afterwards? Anyone have any experience with this?

You can't split the exhaust at the manifold, but after the cat converter and a section of the exhaust pipe can be split off in a Y near the rear suspension to make a "dual" exhaust.

A true dual exhaust is impossible for a inline engine, it won't run correctly, and if it does, the rpms would have to be high in order to get any power out of the engine. The cylinders on a bank have to be balanced where airflow and fuel intake/burn/exhaust is concerned. Engines have to have an exhaust pipe sized correctly in order for it to run correctly, and to have power not only at lower rpms, but high rpms. If the engine were a V type engine, or have a block/heads where the cylinders were divided in 1/2, it would be easier, but even with V types of motors, a true dual exhaust doesn't run as well as those which have a X pipe in the exhaust which equalizes the turbulence in the exhaust of each bank of the engine.

With the OBD2 system, the engine uses the exhaust gases to determine the fueling, and the ECU is monitoring the gas levels to determine if the amount of fuel is correct, and a properly sized exhaust does that. Too high of a flow of exhaust won't get the readings correct; which is why manufacturers don't have a full dual exhaust from the engine back to the rear of the vehicle, even on trucks.

As noted a true-dual exhaust will not work on the Zetec engine. However a quick way to get quasi-dual exhaust is to install a stock SVT exhaust. To do this you need to add an exhaust hanger on the passenger side at the muffler. Also a short bit of pipe needs to be added to make the SVT exhaust connect to the Zetec exhaust.

As noted a true-dual exhaust will not work on the Zetec engine. However a quick way to get quasi-dual exhaust is to install a stock SVT exhaust. To do this you need to add an exhaust hanger on the passenger side at the muffler. Also a short bit of pipe needs to be added to make the SVT exhaust connect to the Zetec exhaust.

I have some experience with other cars that owners wanted a dual exhaust on the inline engine and what I have found is if/when they use a V type exhaust sized for the V type of engine, exhaust flow is a bit high for overall drivability on the inline engine that is smaller than the V engine (essentially installing a 2.5 V6 engine exhaust on a 2 liter I4). I suggest taking the design of the SVT exhaust, but resize it from 2.0-2.25 inch down to 1.75 inch stock piping from the manifold back to a Y section and using 2 1.5-1.75 inch pipes after the Y to each muffler. You might get away with a 2 inch pipe, but Y'ed off, it will act as it is about 2.75 inch piping since the single pipe is shorter than the longer single exhaust.

Too much exhaust flow robs the engine of low end torque/power. I and a friend of mine had 2 identical cars with an inline 2 liter 4 cylinder engine, I installed a 2.25 inch catback and he chose a 1.75 inch catback (smaller than stock, which was 1.9 inches ID). What both of us noticed is on my car which had a larger exhaust, I lost low end power and fuel mileage, from 35 mpg to 25 mpg highway. He on the other hand, same engine, saw a slight increase of low end power as well as high end power where the rpms were about 5500, which is normal for street driving, noticed an increase of fuel economy from 35 mpg highway to 38 mpg highway. Another friend of mine also experimented with cam duration and lift and he reduced the duration somewhat and slightly reduced the lift and ended up with a similar result, and on his car, a mid 90's Suzuki, he increased his overall economy from about 40 to 55 mpg highway while keeping power the same.

Thanks for the input guys. I did want to mention one thing though. I know the Zetec is a common engine but mine is not the Zetec. Rather, it is the VCT which is an interference engine, while the zetec is not.

While most were the Zetec with the bottom end vct to the exhaust, mine is not. I'm not trying to start anything, but when I go to the parts store it shows up as only VCT with not zetec labeling. There are separate ones, however, that say zetec vct. My valve cover also does not have the plastic zetec covering over the spark plug wires. The valve cover itself has VCT marked on it. My dad (A mechanic at middelkauff ford dealership for 18 years) also agrees and says that this engine is not the zetec and has totally different internals. They didn't make many of the SE in the four cylinder, which has their own special engine, putting out more power and bottom end torque than the zetec of previous and to come years. Again, not trying to start anything, but I do all my own work on my cars and I have two family members who have worked at the ford dealership (as mechanics) for over 15 years.

What is the 8th digit in your VIN? Also not trying to start anything, just to have understanding. At this point it is simply ME attempting to understand what you are describing. Is this the engine originally installed in this '99 'Tour? Thanks -

VCT is an acronym. Zetec is an engine family.SE was a trim level only, no engine modifications on either the 4cyl or 6 with the SE package save for ( SVT excluded). There is plenty of info out there to clear it up the confusion. Also two SE group packages offered SE comfort and SE sport which added the standard V6 and a bunch of other things over the basic SE package. I can look through the sales brochure I have all years and some other lit.

While most were the Zetec with the bottom end vct to the exhaust, mine is not. I'm not trying to start anything, but when I go to the parts store it shows up as only VCT with not zetec labeling. There are separate ones, however, that say zetec vct. My valve cover also does not have the plastic zetec covering over the spark plug wires. The valve cover itself has VCT marked on it. My dad (A mechanic at middelkauff ford dealership for 18 years) also agrees and says that this engine is not the zetec and has totally different internals. They didn't make many of the SE in the four cylinder, which has their own special engine, putting out more power and bottom end torque than the zetec of previous and to come years. Again, not trying to start anything, but I do all my own work on my cars and I have two family members who have worked at the ford dealership (as mechanics) for over 15 years.

Your information is not correct.

Zetec is the name of the 4 cylinder engine used in the Contour/Mystique/Cougar for all years. The 95 through 98 Zetec engines had an EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) system. The 98+ Zetec engines have VCT (variable cam timing) which replaces the EGR system and serves the same function.

Yes there is a power difference between the two versions of the engine. The pre-98 with the EGR is 125 hp and the post-98 with VCT is 130 hp.

The Zetec engine is non-interference.

The other Zetec engine that is interference and has 170 hp is the one used in the SVT Focus. It is highly unlikely that you have this engine in your car.

The Contour, as far as I know, never came with a valve cover that used a spark plug cover. The Focus has one and possible the Cougar. I also believe that the Focus used the Zetec through 2004, when it switched to the 2.3L Duratec 4 cylinder engine.

I have some experience with other cars that owners wanted a dual exhaust on the inline engine and what I have found is if/when they use a V type exhaust sized for the V type of engine, exhaust flow is a bit high for overall drivability on the inline engine that is smaller than the V engine (essentially installing a 2.5 V6 engine exhaust on a 2 liter I4). I suggest taking the design of the SVT exhaust, but resize it from 2.0-2.25 inch down to 1.75 inch stock piping from the manifold back to a Y section and using 2 1.5-1.75 inch pipes after the Y to each muffler. You might get away with a 2 inch pipe, but Y'ed off, it will act as it is about 2.75 inch piping since the single pipe is shorter than the longer single exhaust.

IIRC the non-SVT exhaust is all 2" in size. I do believe that 2.5 is the most popular size exhaust for Contour and Focus owners to put on their cars. Also the SVT exhaust is not a consistent size. Yes it is 2.5" but it reduces to 2" at the resonator and then drops to either 2.25" or 2" when it splits to the mufflers.

I do agree that going to large is not good .... however again most use 2.5 inch exhaust when replacing stock.

Yes I can confirm that the VCT engine is a NON interference motor. Found that bit of gold info after doing the timing belt..as I was worried about bent valves.

Also the VCT is Variable CAM timing...similar to VVTi but not identical. in my understanding, it was done to help with emissions and fuel economy. I have seen elsewhere people doing the "Vct Delete" as you gain a couple ponies and If you want to run say, the 2.0 SVT "head" off a Focus SVT it is required to do so.

I am currently looking for normal SVT contour exhaust for my zetec motor and have heard/read plenty of good post about it.

Weapon R :( i know I know
.... They use to make a header for these motors but no longer do :/ I'd give about ANYTHING for one...so if you guys EVER find one I WILL PAY CASH!!! please PM me!!!

Last edited:
The Contour, as far as I know, never came with a valve cover that used a spark plug cover. The Focus has one and possible the Cougar. I also believe that the Focus used the Zetec through 2004, when it switched to the 2.3L Duratec 4 cylinder engine.

I am currently pulling parts off a '99 Tour with the black plastic spark plug cover attached to the valve cover. 8mm hex head bolts attaching it in place. I agree with your post on the Zetec, above - there is a lot of info on the web as these engine have quite the following in England.

I am currently pulling parts off a '99 Tour with the black plastic spark plug cover attached to the valve cover. 8mm hex head bolts attaching it in place.

Good to know. My Zetec was a 95 so it had the metal valve cover. Never really paid detailed attention to the post-98 Zetec in the Contour.

Anytime! Not like you haven't provided ME with assistance/knowledge in the past! Yes, my DD is a '95 Zetec 5 spd. as well I also learned that the serpentine belt and idler pulley are different in length and diameter on the 03/01/98 and later models. Tensioner for the serpentine belt is also a diff design. But that is a different topic.

Back