• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Disappearing harness..best harness to swap ?

MarcD

New CEG'er
Like the title says, Ive got a 98 SVT, looking for experienced replies to what to dig another harness from..Ive searched already,and Id like to hear from someone who has done it and do some LS swap stuff, so Im not afraid to cut and paste one either..just want to have wiring, for a good long time.

Thanks,
- Marc

The entire engine harness..keeping the 2.5..I was under the impression it was/is the same as the 3.0, enough to work with, yes ? Hell, even a 2.5, whichever year(s) wont do the same.

My last was reply was inline and answers that question, but Ill try it in different English..lol.. I need to replace the entire engine harness..mine has the usual failed insulation . Looking for non-affected years and models to pull one from, from experience.

The most that you can expect is to either get the tools (OTC4461) and do it yourself. Or either contact svttour and I believe he might have some already together. other then those two options, to my knowledge there are no prime years or other make/models that have better wiring protection and so fourth. Hope this answers your question in the manner in which you were looking it to be answered.

Thank you..from what I gather E1s dont really seem to have the problemm much ? I didnt see a recall for past part of 98..I think I know what Im looking for now, even if I have to add/subtract pins or connectors. I do a lot of swap harness stuff, for a living, but it didnt hurt to ask to see if theres an easier way than spending my days off like my days on.

Search the forum on this issue. Its been brought up over the past 10 years.
an E1 harness is not a straight swap to an E0.

The PATS system on the E0 is external. Its internal in the PCM on the E1.

yea i would just buy the same year harness. and just make sure it has a knock sensor. or maybe that depends on year also dont remember. or if you really wanna make it nice. you can but separate loom and redo the entire harness. loom is super easy to do. and while you have it off you just visually inspect the wires.

Im good if it isnt a straight swap..I thought it good to ask if there was holy grail harness that Id really want.I do 12v stuff for a living, and in searching before asking, didnt find too many recent write-ups, but Im about to know as much as anyone here shorty..lol. Thanks for the responses and ideas not mine, its always helpful.

I wired my own harness from scratch, basically. When I bought an '03 3L back in '05, The engine came with a pristine harness. Since it was meant for a Taurus and wouldn't fit as it was, I cut it apart, and used all the connectors as pig-tails, and wired it up to the 2.5L PCM connector. It was a lot of splices, but solder+weather proof heatshrink makes it a non-issue. My harness worked first try, and never failed. (I worked in custom 12v shops as a kid, and this job was no sweat for me. You'll do fine wiring your own.;)

My advice:
Trace out the factory harness, record PCM pin location/wirecolor/function(or connector) before you cut ANYTHING apart.
Never use bell caps, butt connectors, or scotch locks for splices. Solder only!
Make sure to keep the shielded wires shielded (Crank/Cam sensors, etc.).

If you want a harness that will last forever... Get some nice silicone aviation wiring ($$!), and new crimp-on pins for each of the connectors(PCM pins are hard to find, but are available). It will last forever this way, assuming you use the correct crimp tool, and proper wire size.

Thats what I was hoping to hear..so i can look at 3l stuff , since its not a theory, and youve done it..thanks man. I did audio/security for ten years too, after being a mechanic by trade, and restore now, but a decent starting point goes a long way..I work off one or more pieces of plywood, for the big stuff, and pin the ends down, label everything, makes it easy to get OE length..reworking a couple harnesses, right now, my kids isnt one of em..he cant make the time to help right now, so its sits..lol I like the idea of using OE that wont cook to pieces, too soon..I hate to build an entire harness uness i can duplicate it a few times and get my money and time back..and I only solder and shrink here..butt connectors and such i dont own..theyre evil and too colorful..lol

Thinking back on it... I do remember having a slight difference in connectors for the crank/cam sensors. The early engines had a slightly different connector, but it looked the same. (I used a junk 1995 2.5L as a jig to wire mine up, since I didn't have a good harness to reference for length). If you run into the difference in connector for the crank/cam sensors, you can buy new connectors, or new sensors to match, both are available.

Thanks for the input Hylix..the car has been a corpse for a bit..one of 6 that want $$$..lol..and here comes Christmas !

Back