• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3.0 revving problem

SVTWHAT

CEG'er
ok so lately the ctsvt has been reving to about 5 grand and sitting there for 5 sec or so then it goes back to normal. it happenes when i push the clutch in and if i shut the car off for a few sec it sometimes goes away, any ideas? thx guys

Do you have any check engine lights? A bad IAC valve might be part of the problem. If the throttle cable was catching on something or the throttle body wasn't closing all the way it might be the issue. Pop the hood and see if you can rev the car by opening the throttle body. If the issue is present (it's reving on it's own) make sure the throttle body is closed. If it is then check your IAC line going to the back of the intake. Pinch it off and if the idle drops then you have a bad IAC. I'd say the IAC is most likely the cause. IAC = Idle Air Controller and they are fairly cheap. Unbolt it from the back of intake and clean it out with some carb cleaner.

Is this a full 3L? What throttle body bracket are you using?

ya im going over the whole engine and trans with a fine tooth comb, and im going to be getting another engine to build up, along with a dif trans to build up for WHEN the ones it it go. i pulled and cleaned the IAC and made no difference, i found some interseting things when going through the engine comp, ill have to post pics lol

Make sure you don't have any major vacuum leaks. The 3L intake might have some extra ports that should be capped off. Did you check the throttle body to see if the set screw had been messed with. If it had a vacuum leak maybe someone messed with the set screw to keep it idling and created the revving issue. That probably isn't the case but you never know.

Back