• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3.0 turbo has great mpg

BurritaSVT

Veteran CEG'er
I left saturday to go to Tom's house 425 miles away. I made 26 mpg on the highway I was extremely impressed that i have better milage than the stock 2.5 liter motor they came with. How many 500 hp cars get that for gas mileage not many I am sure guess that shows the efficency I motor make when crusing at 3800 rpms effortlessily down the freeway. But it does sound like I am hualing azz since my trubendz is loud. They are people probably saying listen to that guy he wide open.......lol.

Well I was able to let someone take a drive in my car here. Warmonger missed his car again once he rode in a potent 3 liter. Was well worth the trip I was able to get my mpg and put on some reliable miles with no issues what so ever. Except for the solid engine mount that makes it feel rougher than usual.

guess that shows the efficency I motor make when crusing at 3800 rpms effortlessily down the freeway.

Just imagine how much better it would be with a Focus final drive not to mention the better launching characteristics with it.

Agreed. When tuned, my old setup (w/Mazda 6 exhaust cams) showed 28-29MPG highway on my display, but was more realistically around 25-26. I haven't taken any road trips since the SVT cam install, but I suspect that once tuned it would be a bit above what you're seeing, since I have the more aerodynamic car. ;)

90A filled front roll restrictor and 60A filled rear roll restrictor- Pretty livable, definitely increases N/V/H in the cabin. 90A in the rear restrictor was UNLIVABLE.

Last edited:
Contours have a very low coefficient of drag....no corners or rough edges....like cougars. :tongue:
Honestly I'd actually be suprised if the cougar was more aerodynamic, but it may be.

Dan your car will also be awesome once tuned. :cool:

Don't svt contours have some super low cd? Like .29 and regular contours are like .32?

And yeah, I think that is better gas mileage than my basically stock svt gets. One day I might get a tune, a little more power and better gas mileage would be cool.

Don't svt contours have some super low cd? Like .29 and regular contours are like .32?

And yeah, I think that is better gas mileage than my basically stock svt gets. One day I might get a tune, a little more power and better gas mileage would be cool.
SVT Contour co = .31 ;)

Mercury Cougar co = .32 :blackeye:

It can be attributed to that big ass opening in the Cougar bumper ... the Contour's is much smaller. .01 co difference isn't really that much ... probably not even noticable.

Just imagine how much better it would be with a Focus final drive not to mention the better launching characteristics with it.

Turning 3800rpms in 5th? How fast were you going? I've started forcing myself to settle on cruising under 74mph just to keep my revs around 3000rpm.

Turning 3800rpms in 5th? How fast were you going?.
3800rpm in 5th is 90.5 mph for me.

That's doing a bit more then casual cruising unless perhaps you are on the wide open interstate between cities.

Cruising at 70mph I am turning under 3000rpm. (roughly 2950)

lol.....sorry I call it cruising I was on interstate realize I was doing 10 over speed limit and people are still passing me up. But if I was to go like 70 mph I am sure I would have increase my mileage by 2 maybe. But overall I was still very happy to see the motor run well and the car not drink gas. Now when I was tuning the car doing WOT tests I was filing the car every other day.......

Genius, help a brother out...

Genius, help a brother out...

Burrita, Contact SHOgoFast please and help him with his AEM wideband. He needs to figure out how to hook it up to his xcal2.
I told him you were a genius who figured it all out. :eek:

In the States, I would cruise at just over 80MPH at 3500RPM... that's the stock SVT final drive w/ 215/40-17's...

Here, it's more like 4000+ just to keep up with the flow! :ponder:

Back