• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

2000 SVT Contour Full 3L Install (the Beginning)

PurdySVT

Veteran CEG'er
FOR FULL 3L BUILD CLICK HERE

So here we are I picked up a 2004 3l Taurus engine 46kmile. I'm planning on a full install to be economic. May buy the NPG LIMs latter as I think the SVT intake is pretty. We will see.:drool:
30Duratecengine003.jpg

As you can see it is a bit corroded. I'm thinking it could use some powder coating. Sure would like to keep the Coil On Plug (COP) ignition. P.S. any help on that would be appreciated. I read that the wiring can be spliced. I will try to keep you updated on the progress. Nothing much will be happening until I take possesion of the CSVT this weekend(hopefully).

if you want to use the SVT UIM,tb, etc I suggest doing that from the beginning. for a straight 3L a few things need to be modified that you will need to change back afterwards.

I just wired mine for COP last night. Took me about an hour and half. I will know if it works next week when I finish the install. Man it looks good.

If it works I'll load up the wiring diagram. The method I used came from the TCCOA (Thunderbird, Cougar, Mark VII) website. Excellent write up with photos.

Several Mustangs have converted and ran for several years.

Ponderings of COP and ported vs full

Ponderings of COP and ported vs full

I just wired mine for COP last night. Took me about an hour and half. I will know if it works next week when I finish the install. Man it looks good.

If it works I'll load up the wiring diagram. The method I used came from the TCCOA (Thunderbird, Cougar, Mark VII) website. Excellent write up with photos.

Several Mustangs have converted and ran for several years.

Hey Thanks. That would be cool. It woould be pretty neat to do regardless of the performance benefit. My car came with the complete engine harness so I hope that helps. It looks Like I should take possesion of the car next week. So the fun can begin. I definately see why people use bugzukie plates. I may try those... still not wild about porting but NPGs LIMs are pricyer and they require a escape fuel rail and so the straw that broke the camels back. so full or ported with bugzukie plates. still not sure. Funds are kinda tight but that SVT manifold is pretty.

if you want to use the SVT UIM,tb, etc I suggest doing that from the beginning. for a straight 3L a few things need to be modified that you will need to change back afterwards.

thanks for the advice it definately got me thinking.

I'm personally doing a full swap, the pretty UIM weighs more and ruins low end power. on top of that, it doesn't look nearly as pretty without the cool black IMRC shroud, and there is no spot to bolt the shroud to on the 3l cam/valve covers. if your super concerned about having a pretty SVT name plate on the engine you can powder coat the front vavle cover black and mount it on the front part of it. I've seen this done and think it looks pretty good.

the part of the 3l I think is ugly is the exposed COP/plug wires and the silly looking water pump pully cover.

^ LIES, ALL LIES!
I think the big IMRC plastic cover/engine shroud is yukky. The 3L cover at least lets more of the motor show.....

I agree the front cam cover does look cool I'm okay with the water pump belt cover but the plastic intake may look okay if it were powder coated. as for now I've ordered the bugzuki plates so I'm commited to the SVT UIM /LIM conversion as for the front IMRC cover being ugly yes and no it flows well with the UIM but I hate plastic covers on engines. maybe at some time I can powder coat the UIM and IMRC cover siver that would probably brighten up the engine bay. I do like the stealth/factory look. I'd rather people find out the hardway that my engine isn't stock. Best I can figure there are trade-offs either way. what about dissabling the IMRC and how would that affect mid range power? :crazy:

disabling the imrc is a piss poor idea. you will hear people telling you two stories on that though, so best to do some searching and find out for yourself. if you were going to disable the IMRC you should just get the NPG LIM mod as it locates the injector correctly for the lack of IMRC, not as good as a full oval, but better than a port match with no IMRC. down side to that is it takes the LIM AND the fuel line block because it runs the 3l rail.

FWI, I like pretty engine covers, they keep you from having to get functioning parts of your engine wet all the time to clean them, like say COP. with the shroud, a few screws, take it in the house and wash it/armoral it, voila, like new. besides it gives another cool thing to paint a cool color.

disabling the imrc is a piss poor idea. you will hear people telling you two stories on that though, so best to do some searching and find out for yourself. if you were going to disable the IMRC you should just get the NPG LIM mod as it locates the injector correctly for the lack of IMRC, not as good as a full oval, but better than a port match with no IMRC. down side to that is it takes the LIM AND the fuel line block because it runs the 3l rail.

FWI, I like pretty engine covers, they keep you from having to get functioning parts of your engine wet all the time to clean them, like say COP. with the shroud, a few screws, take it in the house and wash it/armoral it, voila, like new. besides it gives another cool thing to paint a cool color.

THanks I was just considering IMRC I had A '93 Probe GT and I always loved the short runners opening up at 4500RPM I do like the look of the SVT Engine so I'm sure I'll be happy with it when I'm done.

Please help me decide which way to go will hopefully begin this weekend

Please help me decide which way to go will hopefully begin this weekend

FULL 04 3L cams and intake, Ported 04 3Lcams/SVT intake, SVT cams and Intake ported heads? +s? -s?:help:

if I go full what kind of adapting for a 2k returnless fuel rail to an 04 taurus rail?:confused:

on a side note what are the benefits/drawbacks of 2k svt cams vs 04 3L taurus (all I can seem to find is that the svt cams rev higher and more power up top and the 04 cams make more power downlow and die around 6k rpm and some of this seams to be tied to the intakes but I'm planning svt U/L IMs with 04 cams I'm hoping that this combo won't totaly suck but perhaps ad some of the strengths of 04 3L and the SVT2.5) any advice would be great)?:crazy:

I'm finishing a full 04 install this week. I just bought the fuel rail mod from NPS. The 04 uses a female quick disconnect instead of male. Since you are return-less you don't need the whole mod, but maybe Joey would sell you the connector, which is a special unit.

yeah, the NPG fuel rail block is the bee's knees, I'm going to post up an assembly thread as well as some pictures, soon as I can get Image shack to stop locking up.

I'm doing a full 02 swap, the pretty VLIM intake isn't worth it. unless you plan to go turbo, then it's ok. but if you plan to go turbo, your gunna want the 3l cams with the shorter duration.

the only things that are funky about a full 3l vs a ported is that you gotta use a 5/8 compression fitting to splice the EGR, and you got to rig up some vac lines, which I found fun and easy, you just take apart the tree from the 2.5 and reassemble it so it works on the 3l. I'll post some pics of when i did that too if you'd like. i think it came out pretty nice.

New Pictures 3L disassembly for porting

New Pictures 3L disassembly for porting

UIM Removed
30Duratecengine002-1.jpg

Crank Pulley Removed actually really easy with an electric impact and a 16mm socket keeping in mind that it has left hand thread it came off with out even working the impact.
30Duratecengine003-1.jpg

Flywheel removal again easy with the impact gun

30Duratecengine004-1.jpg

Lower intake removed man this engine is coroded. Yuk!

30Duratecengine007.jpg

30Duratecengine008.jpg

and finaly here is a picture of the original engine in the car

30Duratecengine001-1.jpg

More pics and a Question

More pics and a Question

1 bugzuki plate installed
30Duratecengine019.jpg

Car from the Back:drool:
30Duratecengine014.jpg

Does any one know if the 04 Exhaust gaskets are reusible like cometic head gaskets? My guess is yes.

30Duratecengine010.jpg

30Duratecengine011.jpg

exhaust gaskets are re-usable..

BTW, your title says full 3 liter.... why did you buy bugzuki plates?

Back