As one of the resident "old guys" at CEG, I'm now in the position of interviewing and hiring, and thus sorting through a half dozen or more resumes to determine who we call in for interviews. Its really fun to have the "shoe on the other foot" in life...

I look through the resumes, trying to ignore the computer enhancements like "cool" layouts and fancy fonts, and try to cut to the chase. We always require college transcripts, regardless of the applicant's age, and I don't automatically kick an applicant out just because of a few lousy grades in college, because I know I had my share. But if I see a trend toward better grades towards their senior years, that's a plus. I don't put any weight towards participation in frats, despite what the frats try to sell their pledges. I bear in mind the wages we are offering (its state government) and their accomplishments and stated career goals. I fully realize that most college graduates will have no intentions of making a career with one employer, so we look for who can help us out the most in the short term.

As far as "enhancing" your resume, after a few years experience going through dozens of resumes, you can spot the typical "enhancement" language a mile off. And believe me, when I see a lot of it, its a red flag. I'd must rather consider a person for interview that came across as honest in their resume, rather than some "hot dog" that I know is either embellishing his resume or else is way too qualified for the job we're offering, and will be moving on to another job within a year, leaving us to start the whole process over again.

Just my two cents....

-Mark- '99 Mystique LS, totally original (including the original water pump and the premium stereo)! Bought new in December 1998 for $21,000. 208,000 miles