Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
Sensitive process comes on reassembly the bottom half....using silcone sealant

You sure about the silicone? I rebuilt a motorcycle engine many years ago and the pro shop where I took the head to be ported and polished said to never use silicone. He said that when you put the two halves together some of it can ooze out between the joint. Then if that breaks loose in your engine it can eventually clog up oil ports and cause big problems.

I think I used some 3M yellow sealant or something that he suggested. He said if pieces of it came loose the oil would dissolve it. I didn't had any oil leaks with it for the 5 years I kept it after the rebuild.

T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Thank you vert much for that picture tour of the engine. I have nothing wrong with my engine, but after looking at all those pictures I want to take it apart. Hope you don't mind, but I just saved this entire thread to a pdf document to review later if I ever do have to take it apart. Again, thank you... =)

B
CEG'er
OP Offline
CEG'er
B
Originally posted by F111D F:
I didn't notice anything in the previous, are you a mechanic or naturally you can do anything you touch?
I recently changed the front struts on my 98 with help from cousin at a transimision shop. they have an air tool that has the ability to switch to hammer only. I had no idea how to use but it call in handy for pushing the struts out of the casting and assisted the axle in and out of bearing and several other manuvers it made quick/painless!
But then they do that on a daily basis removing and installing transmissions.

Paul

Oh did you have to replace the HLA's? I guess that's what they are called hydraulic lash adjusters for the valves?
TNX

I'm not a mechanic. Economic necessity does wonders to motivate one to learn!!!!! Power tools are nice.........

After inspecting the lifters, etc. I didn't really need to replace them....

Regards,
Bob

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!
B
CEG'er
OP Offline
CEG'er
B
Originally posted by RoadiJeff:
Sensitive process comes on reassembly the bottom half....using silcone sealant

You sure about the silicone? I rebuilt a motorcycle engine many years ago and the pro shop where I took the head to be ported and polished said to never use silicone. He said that when you put the two halves together some of it can ooze out between the joint. Then if that breaks loose in your engine it can eventually clog up oil ports and cause big problems.

I think I used some 3M yellow sealant or something that he suggested. He said if pieces of it came loose the oil would dissolve it. I didn't had any oil leaks with it for the 5 years I kept it after the rebuild.

Factory recommendations are to use black silicone. Instructions call for wiping down the inside of block for any silicone the squeezes out from compression. this keeps chunks of it from forming and falling out and clogging the oil pickup tube.

Regards,
Bob

B
CEG'er
OP Offline
CEG'er
B
Originally posted by LancasterSVT:
Thank you vert much for that picture tour of the engine. I have nothing wrong with my engine, but after looking at all those pictures I want to take it apart. Hope you don't mind, but I just saved this entire thread to a pdf document to review later if I ever do have to take it apart. Again, thank you... =)

Your welcome! Glad to see you find it usefull

Regards,
Bob

B
CEG'er
OP Offline
CEG'er
B
Update, 20k on engine and atx and all is running great!

Bob

M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
This should be stickied.

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
B
CEG'er
OP Offline
CEG'er
B
I sent SVTPete an email about your suggestion.......never thought about it until you mention it.

Thanks,
Bob

R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
There you go, and I agree.. it should be. I will leave it stickied until I hear otherwise from someone who says it shouldn't be (Pete, etc)

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

B
CEG'er
OP Offline
CEG'er
B
Thanks Ray!

Bob

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard