Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
I called Ford yesterday trying to get the Ford FM #C8A2-19B546-A, and they told me they don't make the same one anymore. The new Ford FM (#XL3) is a synthetic. Has anyone made the tranny cocktail with this? Does it matter? and where can I find Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF?

99'Contour SVT #1766 of 2760 pionner deh-4400 cd/xm head unit Koni adjustables w/ H&R sport springs Yokohama ES-100 225/50/R16
D
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
D
I don't know if they make it, but I know they still stock it, as I just purchased some on Saturday. Try a different dealer.

1999 Red / Tan SVT #1969 of 2760 Built 4/21/99 K&N, DMD, FMS Wires, ES Insert / Bushings, PF End Links 17" FSVT 5-Spokes Factory Spoiler 35% Tint All Around
D
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
D
I infer from that Ford TSB, that trannies built in and after 2000 where designed for, and therefore would already contain, this fluid. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thanks

New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
I'll try a different dealer tomorrow. But I'm wondering if you could still do it, using the synthetic friction modifier?

99'Contour SVT #1766 of 2760 pionner deh-4400 cd/xm head unit Koni adjustables w/ H&R sport springs Yokohama ES-100 225/50/R16
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by duc1:
I infer from that Ford TSB, that trannies built in and after 2000 where designed for, and therefore would already contain, this fluid. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thanks

I'll deny that.

December 99 (IIRC) the TSB came out for the new "honey" colored transmission fluid for the MTX-75. This TSB just let Ford dealerships know that they "should" (not that they do) start using this new fluid when servicing the MTX-75.

However even with this new semi-sythetic fluid you still need the Friction Modifier anyway.

So the cocktail is much superior since it uses a known FULL synthetic (Mobil 1) and of course the Ford FM. Plus it's a heck of a lot cheaper to boot! Win/Win

The new design of MTX-75's was not a TSB, but an actual change in design. Revised syncros & stronger internals were incorporated into the new units and internal fluid capacity dropped from 2.6 qts to 2qts. However you always use the "fill to spill" method when filling any MTX-75 unit.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
D
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
D
Thanks for the reply

But I am thinking it might have the new fluid in it not from the dealer, but from the factory. My car (tho not necessarily my tranny) was built on 01/00, so I'm thinking they might have put "the good stuff" in at the factory. Yes? No?

S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
I feel it is important to note that Terry Haines, the undisputed master of the MTX-75, told me NOT to run synthetic fluid in my trans. If I remember the conversation correctly, the synthetic fluid does not allow the synchros to bite properly and causes undue wear on them. He told me to use a good brand name ATF, like Valvoline, with only 1/2 bottle of friction modifier. I'm not exactly sure if he was just being application specific to the way I drive my car or making a blanket statement about the MTX-75...you'll have to ask him directly.

'98 SVT Contour, in at least 639 pieces 4 Speed MTX...synchro and shift fork replacement in progress
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
duc1 - No Contours came from the factory with the new fluid.

shotwell - say what? Terry has always said a synthetic (used with the FM) is superior to normal ATF & physics as well as myself agrees with him.

Using the Friction modifier with the synthetic is what lets the syncros bite.
Using a synthetic gives the MTX-75 much better thermal protection which it badly needs since it runs so hot to begin with. This normally hot condition is one of the reasons terry's bulldog boxes have extra fluid capacity, an oil cooler, and a seperate filter as well.

I could see if he told you to break in the tranny with a normal ATF with FM added. That would make sense, but the other statement does not make sense at all.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
D
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
D
Rojer that

Thanks Demon

S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Well, I remember exactly what he said. Like I said, maybe I am a special case or something. Terry, care to comment?

'98 SVT Contour, in at least 639 pieces 4 Speed MTX...synchro and shift fork replacement in progress
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard