Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
FLIP Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Has anyone noticed that spmotorsports is taking pre-orders for the stainless steel lines for the Contour? They're aeroquip which are supposed to be one of the best. I'm thinking of doing it. So far the only mods I'm sporting in that dept are the track pads I run when I do driving schools. It'll be time for new front rotors pretty soon.

Another question, when I did have it on the track with the track pads (Carbotech Panther pads) the car's stopping was PHENOMINAL for about 15 minutes. Then they started slowly fading away, to stock or worse. I need to figure a way of doing some cooling, but I'd prefer not to have to loose the fog lights to do it. I'd also prefer to do something that didn't involve a Home Depot dryer hose hack job. Any thoughts? Anyone think that there are any aftermarket brake cooling ducts that would come remotely close to fitting our cars?

------------------
Adam Wilson
Chicago CEG member
http://www.automotiveinfopage.com

Adam Wilson
Chicago CEG member
N
N
I've thought there may be a way to run flexible cooling ducts thru the front valance of my SVT starting at the openings in the bottom panel where the flaps are that hide the tie-down hooks (you know, those two silly black plastic flaps that hang down under the valance of so many Contours). Alt-mode would be to start ducts right behind the lower grill at the outer corners, which shouldn't impede radiator airflow. Haven't put thought into action yet, tho. When I change oil later this month I'll look around under there with brake cooling in mind. For track events, who cares what it looks like if as long as it works?

It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow.

99 SVT Contour
93 RX-7 R1
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Purpose built flex hose is available at a reasonable cost from almost any "roundy round" racer supply shop. Avail in just about any size you would need within reason. Should be tons of stores avail. in the Mid West.

J
J
Hey Flip, What part number are those carbotech pads? The carbotech guys told me they didn't have pads for my 2000 SVT. Doing a track day soon, and need good pads. Also, the Pegasus catalog has offset ducts that may work for the front brake cooling ducts, I'm going to try it.

------------------
JasonS
2000 Silver Frost SVT
H&R Springs
Rear Cross-Brace
SCA Rear Swaybar

JasonS
2000 Silver Frost SVT
#1119 of 2150
Eibach Springs / Corbeau Forza II Seat / TRW Sabelt 5-point belts / Pegasus Brake Ducts / Braided Steel Brake Lines/KVR pads / Black SVT Rims / Mirko Racing Front Airdam / Clear Corners / Knauberized
Best Lap Road Atlanta: 1:56.1 -stock KDW tires!!
F
FLIP Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Yup, doesn't surprise me that they didn't have a part number listed. As you've no doubt noticed, its nearly impossible to find anything that fits the first time, or fits at all on the SVT. Brake pads are no exception. I ordered pads from spmotorsports but they only make the carbon pads for the rears, not the fronts. That's KVR's fault (stupid). So I ordered the semi-metallics all the way around. Well because of the different ears on the backing plates that were done sometime through the course of the life of the '98 SVT's, I kept getting the wrong pads sent to me. I was going through Bill Jenkins and even Ford was mislabeling the pads (the box would say the right ones but they weren't). 5 sets of pads later I still didn't have the right ones. I faxed Bill a trace of my backing plate (mine have skinny ears, the others are fatter ears) and my SVT uses the Cougar front pads. It was truly a nightmare, be prepared.

Once all that was finished, I had new pads up front which were stock Ford compound (booo) and the rears are semi-metallic. What a mess. They seem o.k. for the street and I really don't care. Now that I had new pads though, I sent my old pads down to Carbotech in the mail so that they could use the old backing plates. That's the only way they can do it. I had them refinish them in their new Panther compound. They were very prompt and nice and I had them in time for my track even which was less than 2 weeks turn around time from me mailing them to them FedEx'ing them back to me. They are really kickass pads though.

That's the story!

Quote:
Originally posted by JasonS:

Hey Flip, What part number are those carbotech pads? The carbotech guys told me they didn't have pads for my 2000 SVT. Doing a track day soon, and need good pads. Also, the Pegasus catalog has offset ducts that may work for the front brake cooling ducts, I'm going to try it.

------------------
Adam Wilson
Chicago CEG member

Adam Wilson
Chicago CEG member

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard