Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
F111D F Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Anyone know or experience brake fluid boiling does the pedal go hard similiar to brake fade?
Thanks Paul

N
N
If there are air bubbles in your calipers the brake pedal will feel spongy and travel farther than normal. A pump or two of the pedal will make the pedal feel harder, but only temporarily.

Brake fade is what happens when the brake pads get hotter than their optimal operating temperature and braking efficiency is reduced. This should only happen with repeated high speed stops or lapping on a track, for e.g. With serious brake fade you'll find yourself standing on the pedal and nothing happening to slow the car. A real "Oh Sh*t!" feeling...

[This message has been edited by Ned M (edited July 17, 2000).]

It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow.

99 SVT Contour
93 RX-7 R1
F
F111D F Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Thanks should have known better Dah! bubbles wasn't thinking! Man I guess Carbon Metallic Pad can fade 85mph on I 39 couple weeks ago and wife your going to miss the rest stop. it hauled down to 35 then went hard, I pumped and had pedal again must be gas build up under the pads??? Even the paint on the rear drums blistered???? New PCRV valves made difference.(Recall)
Thanks Paul

F
F
The problem I had with the stock brake fluid is my clutch fluid (same reservoir on our cars) boiled over at my first track event when I lived in Cali. Now I run ATE Super blu in there and have had no issues. I do get a spongy brake on the track which is probably to do with the lack of brake cooling, and secondly, not having bled the ATE out and put fresh in over the course of two track events this year.

If you're looking for a cool upgrade though, have a shop you trust (read: don't take it to a dealer for this unless they respect aftermarket changes) and have them bleed out the brakes and clutch and put ATE Super Blu in. Its about $8 a can and you'll need 3 cans of it to be safe.

------------------
Adam Wilson
Chicago CEG member
http://www.automotiveinfopage.com

Adam Wilson
Chicago CEG member
http://www.automotiveinfopage.com
F
F111D F Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Thanks for the info I'll check into this ATE Super Blu. I'm not familiar with the brand. Who sells it?????
Thanks Paul

N
N
I don't have a line on Super Blu, though if you have any Porsche friends they can very likely point you to a source. It's very popular with PCA members.

Two other very good and widely available high temp race-type fluids are AP550 and Motul 600. Dry boiling point on these fluids is 550 and 600 degrees, respectively. Downside is that they absorb water faster than street type fluids. Can mail order these from Racer Wholesale, Brake Parts Warehouse, or Pegasus Racing, for $7 or $8 per bottle.

Good compromise brake fluids for the street are Castrol GT LMA, Valvoline synthetic, or just plain old Ford Dot 3 Super Duty.

It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow.

99 SVT Contour
93 RX-7 R1
Quote:
Originally posted by F111D F:
Anyone know or experience brake fluid boiling does the pedal go hard similiar to brake fade?
Thanks Paul

I experienced that. Even though it wasn't on a Contour, I believe the feeling would be similar. Here's how I felt: the brake pedal sank to the bottom easily without slowing down the car a tiny bit! It wasn't a good feeling. It happened to me when I was driving in the city, and it was scary!

AK

UBRF.org , Western New York's Premiere Automotive Forum.

Yeah, I got some bolt-ons.
Car Pics
Video of Brullen cat-back on a \'95 SE
How-to: Short Shifter for Pre-98 MTX

"heres the deal $2 grand buy in winner gets the cash and the girl and the respect. We'll race from 0 to Inf. until I win." - someone on the internet

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard