Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
Why paint it? The look of the carbon fiber hood is supposed to be just that...Carbon Fiber....Id leave it in it's original color...it looks good with red anyways.

Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
I was thinking about painting mine silver to match my car but thinning the paint out so it doesnt completely cover the weave underneath and lets it show through. Isn't that what the guy with CF bodied Beamer did?

** Mike ** "You might beat me in a straight line, but I'll embarass you in the turns"
T
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
T
You can have them paint the carbon hood with a Tinted Clear Coat.

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by EuroTour99:
I was thinking about painting mine silver to match my car but thinning the paint out so it doesnt completely cover the weave underneath and lets it show through. Isn't that what the guy with CF bodied Beamer did?

That sounds pretty cool. Got any pics?

1998 Mystique LS: -2.5 Duratec ATX -Vibrant White -------------------- =Pics= =Info=
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by amarv12:

That sounds pretty cool. Got any pics?

That's ugly, it just looks like the paint is too thin and makes it look like you DID do it with a spray can...

99 SVTC, T-Red, #652/2760-12.8.1998 Mother#@%@!* did I sound abstract? I hope it sounded more confusin than that!
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
ya tinted clearcoat would be the way to go it think

Justin 98.5 CSVT # 4887 of 6535 (born 2/28/98)
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by TronX:
You can have them paint the carbon hood with a Tinted Clear Coat.

What I would do is paint it with clear with a small amount of silver "baby flakes" made by house of color. And no it would not look like a spray bomb job.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats".--H.L. Mencken Bumper sticker, OXYMORON #65 - Liberal Thinker
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H

Well actually the BMW M3 CSL has a carbon fiber trunk lid and roof. And the trunk is painted. By the way, i say paint it. I hate carbon fiber hoods on cars other than black, only because it blends in. If your cars not black paint it!!

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
I have done a few operations to carbon hoods. Usually we block them with 800 w/d then clear..then repeat. Some times the edges are so crappy that we repair them and shoot the edges of the hood body color and clear the whole hood leaving a center section carbon. That works good during repairs as well. Also, $300 for painting a hood red is actually at the low end of going rate. Stick with base/clear stay away from enamel one stage users.

95 V6 5SPD. Shaved bumpers,antenna,trunk lock and 1/4 extensions MIDNIGHT RED.
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
agreed. dont do one stage. base then clear. u can have them do one sprayover of the body color so its semi transparent then clear so the cf isnt in your face but noticeable up close and the hood still looks painted. they should practice on a scrap piece of cf to know how many sprays to do. one too many and u have a fully painted hood.

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard