Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
i was planning on painting my carbon fiber hood to match my t-red se but everywhere i go wants 300 or more for the job. i was wondering if there was a good quality spray paint out there that i could use to do it my self.
thanks for any help

S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
shop around or save your money up and get the hood done right. with such a large surface area like a hood and the narrow spray pattern of a can it will be hard not to get a stripe effect and dry spots and tons of overspray. spray cans have there place but not painting large areas like that. You just won't get the results your looking for and may wind up with a bigger mess and problem than you need.

you can't beat the results of a quality spray job at a shop.It takes 2 steps they lay the base color then the clear wich may account for the added cost for the labor. Like I said shop around.

"we aren't punished for our sins, but by them" 2000 se sport tropic green/gray leather. V6,svt body kit and E1 wheels/Avon tech m500 rubber, many mods. 2003 Eddie Bauer Explorer V8 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S 1996 Mercury Sable
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Originally posted by skunk:
It takes 2 steps they lay the base color then the clear

Not always. Most body shops use a 2 in 1 process where the clearcoat is already in the paint.

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
L
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
L
you have to strip the clear off the carbon fiber hood first then paint it then re-clear it. you have to be careful not to damage the actual carbon fiber when taking the clear off first. its a touchy process, you should have a shop do it because a true paint gun vs. rattle can is no comparison. you spent the money on the hood, dont fook it up using rattle can. And this process was done on a CF hood that friends in my car club painted, the guy wanted flames that matched his paint job and they took the clear off, painted the kandy flames and re-cleared it.

Mike

Mike 99' Silver CSVT 95' Silver Acura Integra www.latest-craze.com
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:

Not always. Most body shops use a 2 in 1 process where the clearcoat is already in the paint.

Mark

Ive used both, and imho a single stage just isnt as shiny as a base coat and clear coat.

You dont have to sand all the way through the clearcoat. Just make sure the entire area is sanded completely with about 600 grit or so.

Jim Hahn 1996 T-Red Contour SE Reborn 4/6/04 3.0L swap and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit 364 whp, 410 wtq @ 4,700 rpm
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
How are people gonna know you have a CF hood if you paint it?

How much weight does it save anyway?

98 Contour V6 MTX, T-Red, 150k mi. Pic SVT Dual Exhaust, KKM Intake, Donnely Mirror, Dension DMP3 Player w/80GB of MP3s, Wheelskin 95 F-150 91 Mustang GT 06 Honda Shadow Aero
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Originally posted by beyondloadedSE:
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:

Mark

Ive used both, and imho a single stage just isnt as shiny as a base coat and clear coat.

You dont have to sand all the way through the clearcoat. Just make sure the entire area is sanded completely with about 600 grit or so.

From what I was told from my bodyshop guy at Ford, it's how they do things straight from the factory. This is also the process he used on my front oval ring, my rear reflector and my headlights. Everything he did came out a perfect match to the rest of my exterior.

Mark

J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J

Mark

Not quality shops,

Last edited by jthursby; 03/29/05 04:47 PM.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats".--H.L. Mencken Bumper sticker, OXYMORON #65 - Liberal Thinker
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by jthursby:

Mark

Not quality shops,

MAACO!!! ....

I'd definatly suggest waiting until you have the money do have it all done right.

~Alex

~Alex Ex- SVT Driver627 MUST SELL!!!LOCAL: Pre-98 MOLDED trunk Polk db speakers Corolla parts LED Underbody Kit PM 2000 Green CSVT gone on 2/17/06 2001 Toyota Corolla (SHE RUNS!!!) 1989 Mustang LX 5.0
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Originally posted by SVT Driver627:
Originally posted by jthursby:

Mark

Not quality shops,

MAACO!!!

Ummmmm Ford

Mark

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard