Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1006570 07/17/04 10:12 PM
Q
OP Offline
Q
does anyone know if there is a significant difference in weight between the stock disc brakes and the stock drum brakes? the disc brakes look much better, but if the disc system weighs less, i think that would motivate me to convert my rear drums to discs.

D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
drums are mo' heavier. but its not THAT much heavier to justify switching to discs. Stopping distance difference between the 2 is also nothing to write home about. You lock them up everyday?

In the looks department, discs are the way to go, but I've had rear drums on my 98 since 98 and unless someone wants to give me a set of rear discs plus $20, I'm leaving it alone. its always nice to have atleast 2 clean wheels.

S
Zippy Zetec on his last legs.
Zippy Zetec on his last legs.
S
Originally posted by DuratecDave:
drums are mo' heavier. but its not THAT much heavier to justify switching to discs. Stopping distance difference between the 2 is also nothing to write home about. You lock them up everyday?

In the looks department, discs are the way to go, but I've had rear drums on my 98 since 98 and unless someone wants to give me a set of rear discs plus $20, I'm leaving it alone. its always nice to have atleast 2 clean wheels.

yeah i aint messing wityh mine either. eventually, if i decide to go all drag car, ill remove the rear brakes entirely and just have front ones...that will save weight...

Regards, Cole. Relegating to troll status sometime this week. New Whip: 1990 Lexus ES250. Old Hotness: 1995 GL MTX Zetec *IN TRIAGE* "I had a little friend once, but it dont move no more... "
Q
OP Offline
Q
Originally posted by DuratecDave:

ha no i dont lock em up every day, but if i found some discs and rotors for cheap at a junkyard or something i might do the conversion. i do stuff like that just for fun when i dont have anything better to do. also, i painted my front discs t-red, the same as my car, and it looks pretty bad ass. i thought about doin the drums, but their just too rusty.

L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
There is a definite difference in stopping and pedal feel with the drum to disc conversion......I did it!

Hector 2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII 257HP/259TQ 2005 Lapis Blue Mazda 6s RET: 00 Cabernet Red Ford Contour Zetec ATX SUPERCHARGED 160HP/141TQ
F
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
F
Did you use flexible stainless steel brake hoses instead of rubber ones? Those are suppose to make a difference also, feel wise?

TNX
Paul

Paul 98 Mystique LS 2ea (07/97)(08/98)

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard