Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
OP Offline
S
Looks like I abused her one too many times. I broke the differential at the track yesterday. My best time was a 15.8 quarter. A mechanic friend and I already have the transmission out of the vehicle. I was wondering where I should go next with this. I plan to talk to a transmission shop or two, but I figure this is a fairly special transmission that I don't want to trust to just any shop. I want it done right the first time. Doesn't everyone?! I'm looking at a Quaife LSD, but the price is high. Is $595 really the best price on that? How much is a stock unit? Looks like I need a clutch too. Any recomendations there? I have searched around quite a bit and I can't seem to find anything definite on pricing. Seems most people just ate the cost and took the car to a transmission shop. I don't know whether to be afraid of doing this job myself or not. I've rebuilt several engines and dealt with various other things with a vehicle EXCEPT rebuilding the trans. Are there special tools involved? Is there a sort of how to available, or should I just use my Haynes manual? I have also read about having to machine the stock case to fit the Quaife LSD. Does anyone have any details on this just in case I have to explain it to a transmission shop? Sorry for the long post guys, but I'm really lost on where to go with this...I need more information! I'd really like to make it to the NW-CEG meet in Everett WA this Saturday...is that totally out of the question now? My friend and I could probably get that transmission back in the car in a few hours if it was done. I also read from my searches and random readings that Terry Haines is the man when it comes to the MTX-75...hope to hear from you and all of the other experts. Thanks in advance!

'98 SVT Contour #639
'79 Monte Carlo
T
T
Feel free to call HMS ,616-874-1148.We have early,stronger 'stock' difs,Quaife ,can also repair gear cases if you have holes etc... wink

V6 MTX
'Don't p**s up my back then tell me it's raining!!!"
'Its only nuts & bolts!'
'If I build it,fix it,upgrade it or modify it...MAYBE they will come....!
Haines Motor Sports Inc,
Dealer for 'Quaife America' & 'Autotech Sport Tuning'
SOLE USA Dealer for the American Axle 'AUSSIE BAR'...
Get a Turbo for you Zetec from HMS Inc...by 'The Demon' ...www.DemonDynamics.co.uk
..don't talk about it DO IT !!!
G
G
Sorry to hear the bad news....

Good thing is - when you get it all buttoned up, you should be thrilled with the power actually going to your two front wheels! wink

The $595 price is good compared to it's early price over $1100.

I think some people might work the price a bit if you get the actual work done at their shop as well. smile
Good luck with the install...

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard