Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#67527 07/31/02 09:57 PM
T
OP Offline
T
ok, i start the car and out of no-where a scraping noise begins. it comes from the rear valve cover where a chain is located. Ford say's $2000 at least. i want to try to maybe do it myself if it's going to cost that much! but i don't know if i can get a cherry picker.... what can i do here???? i still owe 3 years on this car and it's been sitting in the drive for over a week. i'm screwed driving the corsica again confused confused

95'contour se
painted interior/calipers
220wt.3-way door speakers
hyfonics 100x2 amp w/audiobahn 12'subs
no performance mods
T
T
From what I've read, replacing a timing chain will mean pulling the engine. Might want to get a second (or third?) opinion on the noise/timing chain before commiting to any work. This will be a big job and a shop manual and proper tools will be real helpful if you're considering doing the job yourself.

Scott
95 SE-2.5L ATX (120K+ miles & many mods)
T
T
I understand that the 2.5 litre V6 is finicky in terms of oil pressure. I read somewhere within the CEG pages that one needs to ensure that the oil pressure is correct otherwise the chain will bang against the cover (rear). Heard of this? My car was making the same noise, and then I changed the oil and ensure that the OEM filter was tightened correctly.

Problem solved.

1995 Mercury Mystique GS Sport
2.5 Duratec
K&N Drop In
High-Flo exhaust
Tint

Bad things:
- clear coat flaking off!
- timing chain going
- idler pulley defunct
- rack and pinion going bleh
- Ford dealerships
H
H
You might want to shop around for prices for this work.
Engine doesn't have to be removed but I believe it has to be raised a bit for access. Complex job for DIY, read a service manual first.

Comments by TiQUe-bOy relate to the fact that chain tensioner is hydraulic, not sure if engine oil cleaner/flush and filter change would help, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

Edit: You've caught Terry Haines's eye, below, for other comments of his do a search using > timing chain.

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 110,000km
97 Contour LX v6 atx 125,000km
stock CD on LS, cass on LX
spoiler, tinted windows on LS only
4 wheel discs on LX only
All other available options on both
T
T
1) does the noise go as the oil pressure 'kicks' in?..if yes..suspect tensioners 2) if no ..suspect chain guide plates...early engines were prone to bad wear on these parts 3)if a 'valve tap' persists at the top end more chance its a rod bearing...as has been said,not a diy job, if the miles are high on this engine I'd suggest a used/younger replacement...

V6 MTX
'Don't p**s up my back then tell me it's raining!!!"
'Its only nuts & bolts!'
'If I build it,fix it,upgrade it or modify it...MAYBE they will come....!
Haines Motor Sports Inc,
Dealer for 'Quaife America' & 'Autotech Sport Tuning'
SOLE USA Dealer for the American Axle 'AUSSIE BAR'...
Get a Turbo for you Zetec from HMS Inc...by 'The Demon' ...www.DemonDynamics.co.uk
..don't talk about it DO IT !!!

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard