Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S
well, after 2 years of mind-numbing noise, i've decided my cars too freakin loud, i do not want to lose my 4" tips but right now there is nothing between the cats and the tips, and its loud as hell and drones really bad in the cabin, i'd like to hear my rattles so i can fix them instead of the drone.

I'm looking for suggestions on a muffler or resonator that'll give me a wicked sound at WOT but be muted atleast moderately under normal driving conditions.

2.25" in n out preferred.

-Matt "Pain heals, chicks dig scars, and glory lasts forever!" will do/pay just about anything for the following parts: CF sunroof glass replacement OEM CF trunk Non OEM style cf or fiberglass hood not the cf1 design
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Need I even say it?

Chris G. ~ 98 Mystique LS ATX
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Magnaflow!

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
10425 (18") or 10435 (22")

J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
I installed a 40 series Flowmaster on my car to solve the same problem and it works great.

On the inside its alot quieter. When cruising around the interior sound is almost gone except for when the engine is at about 2000 to 2500 RPM, then there's a little sound but its far more bearable then without the muffler. But what I like about it most is that when you get on the gas and rev the engine out, it still has that roar (but more civilized) in the interior that lets the passengers know that this isn't your everyday grocery getter.

On the outside, at idle its a very deep low tone, when cruising its quieter and more muffled, when you get on the gas and rev it out the flowmaster doesn't do much except kill the rasp, take a little of the edge off the sound and add that signature Flowmaster sound.

Installing it though was interesting. I used a 2 1/4" offset/offset configuration with the inlet and outlet on the same side of the case. I had to "adjust" the heat shield a little on the underside of the car in the well where the stock resonator once was. I used a rubber mallet and a piece of 2x4 to enlarge the opening in the heat shield enough to give me about 1/2 inch of clearance all the way around the muffler.

If you are worried about the Flowmaster rusting over time, spend an extra $15 or so and get the stainless steel version.

I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats the best they're going to feel all day - former President Lyndon B. Johnson
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
I went with the round 22" magnaflow as a resonator and have been real happy with the exhaust tone and volume, but I have mufflers in back also. I don't know if a magnaflow by itself will be quiet enough for you, but it would be a good start. You will have to choose additional mufflers and piping carefully if you want to keep your tip setup.

Scott 95 SE-2.5L ATX (Sold, but not forgotten...)
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by Antiramie:
Magnaflow!

Werd.

1998 T-Red SVT #957 Born 5/14/1997
S
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by JSmith:
I installed a 40 series Flowmaster on my car to solve the same problem and it works great.

On the inside its alot quieter. When cruising around the interior sound is almost gone except for when the engine is at about 2000 to 2500 RPM, then there's a little sound but its far more bearable then without the muffler. But what I like about it most is that when you get on the gas and rev the engine out, it still has that roar (but more civilized) in the interior that lets the passengers know that this isn't your everyday grocery getter.

On the outside, at idle its a very deep low tone, when cruising its quieter and more muffled, when you get on the gas and rev it out the flowmaster doesn't do much except kill the rasp, take a little of the edge off the sound and add that signature Flowmaster sound.

Installing it though was interesting. I used a 2 1/4" offset/offset configuration with the inlet and outlet on the same side of the case. I had to "adjust" the heat shield a little on the underside of the car in the well where the stock resonator once was. I used a rubber mallet and a piece of 2x4 to enlarge the opening in the heat shield enough to give me about 1/2 inch of clearance all the way around the muffler.

If you are worried about the Flowmaster rusting over time, spend an extra $15 or so and get the stainless steel version.

you're the winnar so far you do not have a muffler after the flowmaster correct? i dont think a resonator alone is going to be quiet enough and i'd prefer the opinion of someone w/ 1 muffler and 2 tips, no res etc etc so i can get pretty similar results... the drone is just driving me ape-sh!t!!!

-Matt "Pain heals, chicks dig scars, and glory lasts forever!" will do/pay just about anything for the following parts: CF sunroof glass replacement OEM CF trunk Non OEM style cf or fiberglass hood not the cf1 design
V
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
V
I have a Magnaflow dual tip muffler with no res. Its nice and quiet in the cabin during curisng speed but when you get on it is desectly loud.At idle it has a deep enough tone. Its def noticable outside the car but in it its not bad at all. i love it and my friends like it so im happy. Go with magnaflow you wont regret it. If you want a sound clip let me know ill make one for ya.

Trevor

A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
Magnaflow resonator with stock mufflers. It is loud enough for me for a daily driver. There are enough ricers out there.

2000 Black CSVT MagnaFlow resonator, SHO/K&N cold air intake
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard