Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Well...not really.

I need help and advice.

First off, hello all CO and SW CEG'ers its been a long time and I hope everyone is doing well.

Here's the dilema, Monday morning I'm driving on the highway at about 80-90 and I realize my car tranny isn't upshifting to OD like it should be at that speed. So, I look down to find that my speedo isn't working, the tach/fuel/temp appear to be fine. Then when I got off the highway at my exit I stopped and everything downshifted fine. When I went to pull away from the stoplight the car didn't want to shift into second and when it did it was very rough...and when I say rough I mean violent enough to cause my muffler to shake and 'thud' against the underside of my car. At this point I've tried nothing to fix it but I'm about to put in my other speedo from the tach equipped guage cluster I bougth some time ago. This speedo is the original speedo that came in the car only it is installed in a different cluster. Could the different cluster actually have killed my speedo? How much does a replacment speedo cost from Ford? I'm going to try and swap in the other speedo and see what happens.

I wouldn't be too concerned with this if I just couldn't drive on the highway, thats not to big of a deal. But, considering the violent way in which the tranny is shifting and its inherently flawed/weak design, I'm extremely reluctant to drive to car at all.

Take care all, as always ANY help is appreciated!!!

Regards,

Brad

Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Welcome back buddy! Since you have the pre-98 dash, my speedo is in a junk yard somewhere and if Chad ends up getting my car from auction, you could try and get it off of him. Hope you don't have any tranny problems or anything like that, because didn't you get that rebuilt not to long ago?

Austin -officially a troll See it here Pro-Flow w/ optimizer STILL for sale
K
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
Sure he disappears for months but when he needs help look where he goes. This is going to sound stupid but have you checked the fluid level yet? I highly doubt a speedo gear is causing a hard shift.

2001 Lincoln LS8 1994 Lexus GS300
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
Does the cruise work? Most likely the speed sensor if not. That would also explain the hard (confused?) shifts as well. Perhaps as simple as the wires have been disconnected from the trans somehow?

· Jon Miconi · Coming Soon! · 01 Cougar · 98 V70R
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
What's up Brad!

I dunno what to tell you about the speedo, but I've had a similar problem w/ the ATX in my van. It would shift so hard into second it would chirp the tires (that was kinda fun, actually ). I took it into Pontiac and it ended up being something called a "PC Solenoid". Now I don't know if that thing's universal to all ATXs or not, but maybe that could be the cause.

How many Vs would a VTEC TEC if a VTEC could TEC Vs? The one, the only....FRNKNFORD http://www.westvalleycs.com
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Hehe, I knew somebody would say something about me coming back after all this time to ask for help....and somehow I KNEW it would be Chris that would say something!

Anyway, I swapped in another guage cluster and got the same result, no speedo. I'm going to poke around the engine bay and see what I can find.

Thanks for all of the replies fellas, much appreciated!

Brad

S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Okay, so I checked all of the harness I could find easily and I checked every fuse and found nothing unusual. Where exactly is the speed sensor in this car anyway? Is it that module looking piece thats on the front top of the tranny right next to the battery? I'm going to run to Autozone here in a minute and have them pull the code for 'Check Engine' light I have. Maybe that will help narrow this down.

Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Brad, buy an SVT or get the exploder from your parents

I think that piece sitting on top of the tranny is for the back up lights. That's what it was on my SVT anyway.

Hope you get it sorted out again soon.

Mike

Former - 98 CSVT E0 T-Red 4/4/97 #173 of 6535 Dear Santa
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Hmmm...let me see know...buy another Ford...or get the Ford from my parents...mmm...nah, I think I'm okay. No more Fords for me. I'm looking at German cars for my next car...Audi, VW, BMW. I really like the new Mazda 6 and that RX8 looks pretty sweet...those are the only two domestic cars I'm even considering looking at for my next car.

D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
domestic RZX8 and mazda6...hmmmmmm

98 SVT, silver frost, with blue graphics.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Keyser Soze 

Link Copied to Clipboard