Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
G
My car officially threw it's first CEL light. Not bad, I got up to at least 90K before seeing the infamous light. However, it turns out that the EGR is not getting a signal. So..question is did anyone pay to have the EGR sensor changed? If so, how long did it take and how much was the sensor. I have a 95GL ATX, and my account ran out on Alldata.com. Thanks!

'95 GL White I've got mods.
G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Please post CEL code that you received. It is much harder to diagnose without it.

EGR is not a sensor, but a valve.

It relies on readings from the DPFE (Differential Pressure Feedback EGR) which is the "sensor" for the EGR system.

But code might also be pointing to EVR (EGR vacuum regulator).

96 Contour SE Duratec V6 24-valve 2.5L ATX 108,000 mi. Replaced: crankshaft w/ DMD, EGR valve (clogged), EVR, DPFE, PCV valve, evap emissions hose & tube (cracked), window regulator (broken), LH & RH PCV tubes, UIM gasket (leak), ignition coil
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Hey Heather, do u have any pinging problems (sometimes) ??

I did get a code like this before... never really fixed.. and I've been having pinging problems FOREVER !!

It is getting warmer again.. and the pinging gets worse.

I wonder if it is related to the EGR valve.

i did post about EGR and pinging at old CEG forums and it was a MESS.

some sid they were related and others disagreed.

Let me know if u have any pinging on a hot day, going up a hill at high RPMs.

Anything is POSSIBLE... sowing the seeds of love"
K
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by BBorges:
Hey Heather, do u have any pinging problems (sometimes) ??

I did get a code like this before... never really fixed.. and I've been having pinging problems FOREVER !!

It is getting warmer again.. and the pinging gets worse.

I wonder if it is related to the EGR valve.

i did post about EGR and pinging at old CEG forums and it was a MESS.

some sid they were related and others disagreed.

Let me know if u have any pinging on a hot day, going up a hill at high RPMs.

EGR valve is your problem. The EGR valve is used under light to moderate loads and is essentially a metered vacuum leak. It uses spent exhaust gas which is inert to cool the combustion cylinder because the EEC is advancing the timing so far trying to get better milieage and better emmissions. REPLACE THAT BEFORE YOU DAMAGE YOUR ENGINE. Here are the part numbers for the valve and gasket:

F5RZ-9D475-B List $82.38
E6AZ-9D476-B List $2.07

FYI www.fordpartsonline.com has the valve for $44. It would take a novice no more then 10 minutes to change.

I offer PnP Heads for all durtec's details at PnPheads.com or jesse@pnpheads.com for details.
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Speculating on the exact cause of the CEL is pointless without the exact code.

Replacing the EGR valve/gasket is probably a waste of money without doing more checking first.

The most common EGR related problems on 'Tours is due to clogged EGR passages in the intake/TB.

A faulty EGR system can indeed cause pinging. Additional diagnostic work would be required to pinpoint the cause instead of throwing parts at it.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by projectSHO89:

A faulty EGR system can indeed cause pinging. Additional diagnostic work would be required to pinpoint the cause instead of throwing parts at it.

Steve

Could you elaborate a little further ??

I am really interested in this subject.

Anything is POSSIBLE... sowing the seeds of love"
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
There are several fault codes available on the OBD computers that can indicate what and where a problem is with the EGR system. As mentioned above, the most common problem is clogged EGR ports in the intake, but cracked hoses and connectors can be other low cost (but common) causes for EGR problems. The recirculation of exhaust into the intake affects the combustion temperature and can result in excess pinging if not present as expected by the PCM.

Scott 95 SE-2.5L ATX (Sold, but not forgotten...)
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
You have to start with the code(s)...otherwise, you'll probably just be wasting your time and taking stabs at possible problems.

BTW, if you have a Duratech, have you cinsidered the Knock Sensor as a possible cause of knocking?

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
G
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
G
Unfortunately, I don't have the exact code. The car threw a CEL on the way to AL. There were no problems with the engine, pinging or otherwise. We thought it may be the O2 sensors. However, when I got back home (so a total of 520 miles with the CEL) I had my mechanic scan it. The code I didn't notice, the computer said that there was no signal to the EGR. My mechanic suggested cleaning it, or possibly the sensor. I was just trying to prepare myself for the finacial cost of replacing the sensor should that be the problem. I know *Bad Heather* I should have written the code down, but I think the fact that it read no signal to the EGR was pretty self-explanatory. It goes to the shop on Saturday. The light comes on immediately now, and the only problem has been the engine stalling once this morning. Thanks for the suggestions and prices!

'95 GL White I've got mods.
A
A
Just from personal experince when a similar event happened with my 95 Contour SE it turned out to be the DPFE sensor, the code was a 327 and no signal was coming from the DPFE sensor. After checking around I found the part for $52 bucks at Autozone where they called it a EGR pressure sensor, the Ford part was running about $100 locally and the garage I took it to wanted $135 for it. The part is a bugger to get at and it sits on the drivers side of the engine block almost directly below the actual EGR Valve. The labor the garage was charging was about $100. I talked to a couple of Ford Techs and they said it was a pretty common part that needed replaced in all Fords. Hope this helps and good luck with it.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard