Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
S
Quote:
Originally posted by Pascal:
Quote:
Originally posted by kinger:
[b]Well duh we can all go out and buy a RWD sports car that is made to handle 400hp, but guys like me enjoy CHEAP INSURANCE and FWD FOR THE WINTER. Compare apples to apples and see if the SVT or cougar with a TC is a poor car.
..COUGH.. 1.8t VW ..COUGH... laugh [/b]
You ok pascal? Whats wrong that blow off valve coughing again on you :p laugh

99 SVT Tropic Green
#151 of 503/ 2760 total
Born on 10/07/98
Adopted 7/15/00
LETS GO RANGERS (looking good this year)
N
N
just trying to be the last post whore before the T1 goes down laugh

SVT EMBLEM MOD HERE

:::96:C:LX:::
Black 2.5L ATX "my beater" - Shaved ? badgeless ? SE rocker panels
:::99:SVT:C::: #2566 of 2760
T-RED/TAN "the bitçh" Brullen Cat-back w/ 3.5" angle-cut tips ? BAT European Suspension ? AFE Filter ? CnL 73mm MAF ? Diablosport Chip :MNQ3: ? Mirko front spilter ? Apexi SAFC (i'm scared to install! anyone in Norcal wanna help me?)

..::nyceboicreations.com::..
email:junkmail@nyceboicreations.com
B
B
Guys I think you need to see the picture this car is putting down 294 to wheels in the 100F and in the winter it will rise over 300+ to wheels were talking alot hp and a flat a strong torque curve of about 300+ lbs pushing a 3000 pd car. This car with slicks will definitely break into the 12's in the winter nights.

The car is neck snapping at 3500 rpms and revs like a b*tch from what Keith said.

Look SS run low 13's with less hp and more weight and break into 12's with slicks.

Give it time

99 SVT #198
Blk/blue
Grizzly clutch
Phantom Grips
K&N open
Resonator removed
BAT 22mm
15.4 @89mph
O
O
Quote:
Originally posted by BurritaSVT:
The car is neck snapping at 3500 rpms and revs like a b*tch from what Keith said.

Look SS run low 13's with less hp and more weight and break into 12's with slicks.

Give it time
Show me the time slips and I'll believe it.. I'm still a believer in that the tranny won't be able to handle the power, Quaife or not. There are too many parts of the car which aren't equipt to handle this kind of abuse. Running slicks is just asking for trouble.

But, I'll eat my humble pie if you guys do get into the 12s and have no issues with the car afterwards. Heck, I'd probably buy another Tour and get it Turbo'ed!

S
S
Quote:
Originally posted by Officer Cartman:
Quote:
Originally posted by BurritaSVT:
[qb]The car is neck snapping at 3500 rpms and revs like a b*tch from what Keith said.

Give it time
Show me the time slips and I'll believe it.. I'm still a believer in that the tranny won't be able to handle the power, Quaife or not. There are too many parts of the car which aren't equipt to handle this kind of abuse. Running slicks is just asking for trouble.
[QB]
From Gary Mumm's site:

"We had a problem with the teeth of the gears stripping. We're making good power and on hard acceleration, the weak link was the gear teeth. Here you see a stock gear stack on the right...compared with the custom gears we?re running shown on the left. If you look closely, you?ll see the teeth on many gears are a LOT thicker. BTW, this was a very expensive -- and difficult -- conversion."

"12/10/01
Bluntly, the weakest area of the car so far has been the transaxle and axles. We?ve broken several axles and transaxles. The majority of our problems have been in this area. The pictures below show some of the work we?ve done to get the reliability up."

they were running like 300 hp right? IIRC there custom gears were something like $5,000!!!

97 SE MTX, KKM, UR UDP, 19# Injectors, SVT TB, SVT UIM, SVT Flywheel, Grizzly Street Clutch, Upgraded motor mounts, mystifed precats, brand new main cat, SVT exhaust sans resonator, 205-55-15 Dunlop SP5000's

154hp / 156 tq before the SVT exhaust, SVT dual honed upper and swapping the mystery main cat for mystery precats.

My Profile
O
O
Exactly.. And I think Buckshot's problems at Spring Zing showed you just what could go wrong..

K
Kaiser. Offline OP
OP Offline
K
How does that show us? He was naturally aspirated when it happened. He drove up from Iowa and then had trouble autocrossing IIRC. It showed us that problems can happen no matter what you do.

If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?
O
O
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser.:
How does that show us? He was naturally aspirated when it happened. He drove up from Iowa and then had trouble autocrossing IIRC. It showed us that problems can happen no matter what you do.
Right, with stock power, he was able to do that.. With a turbo, your chances of that happening are 10x worse. We've got people on here that have gone through multiple spider gears because of wheel hop and such. All it's going to take is one bad launch with the turbo to destroy it, unless you spend the extra bucks for the Quaife. Even Terry agreed on this point.

As I said before, to build a reliable turbo SVT is going to cost a tremendous amount of money. If you feel fine driving a $30K Contour, fine. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night, knowing that I'll never see $25K of that again.

T
T
Quote:
Originally posted by Officer Cartman:
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser.:
[b]How does that show us? He was naturally aspirated when it happened. He drove up from Iowa and then had trouble autocrossing IIRC. It showed us that problems can happen no matter what you do.
Right, with stock power, he was able to do that.. With a turbo, your chances of that happening are 10x worse. We've got people on here that have gone through multiple spider gears because of wheel hop and such. All it's going to take is one bad launch with the turbo to destroy it, unless you spend the extra bucks for the Quaife. Even Terry agreed on this point.

As I said before, to build a reliable turbo SVT is going to cost a tremendous amount of money. If you feel fine driving a $30K Contour, fine. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night, knowing that I'll never see $25K of that again.[/b]
I'll take 2, that is if you can get a turboed SVT for 5k: 30k-25k. I do see your point about the reliability of forced indution. However if the car was not going to be used for drag racing applacations such as 3 or 4 grand launces with slicks and driven with common sence, there is no reason why there should be any problems with the turbo aplications even with the stock trans..

And wouldn't it be neet the next time your crusin down your local Blvd. at a 30 Mph role and and the guy beside you in the Z06 gags on it and is left inhaling the fumes from your blow off FFFPPPSSSSSHHHHHH!!!!!!! wink laugh :p wink

1998.5 CSVT
K&N Custom Intake
Custom 2 3/4" Magnaflow cat back
Ram HD Power Grip Clutch
Bosch Platnium +

Alpine deck "CDA-7863"
Boston mids

More to come

Stock Sucks!!!!
O
O
Quote:
Originally posted by TommyBoy:
And wouldn't it be neet the next time your crusin down your local Blvd. at a 30 Mph role and and the guy beside you in the Z06 gags on it and is left inhaling the fumes from your blow off FFFPPPSSSSSHHHHHH!!!!!!! wink laugh :p wink

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard