Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
This is a combination of comments from both group buy & suspension forums in no particular order to put all the stuff in one place. Queries about ordering, etc. should be directed to Terry Haines, Haines Motor Sports, Rockford, MI. cool laugh

///More to be added///
laugh smile laugh wink cool
That should give all some idea! More will be posted on Suspension Forum eventually when have more objective tech details -- but bottom line is the combination of parts has turned my GL into a sport sedam that handles like a slot car, but still not super harsh!

I had hoped to do this incrementally -- Koni Kit plus camber plates, then add the Aussie, and finally the end links over a couple weeks, but a 2-day competition coming up this weekend, plusdwindling $$ forced the time compression.

For pics: SeiCo Racing Home Click on link to "Condeo Mods - Koni Kit+" Give it until tomorrow -- uploading -- several pics, may take a long time. ***WARNING -- Large pics! will try to find time to compress more later, but when starting @ 3.3 m-pixel. . . ,**
//////

The BAT caster/camber kit works great. You should have a pro do the install, though, unless you have experience dealing with alignments. My sponsor/garage got mine "spot on" to my requests, including evening out 1.5 degree difference left-to-right in factory caster!

Before there is a flood of questions, putting all the pieces together in one package -- BAT kit, Koni kit, Aussie bar and spherical end links is the way to go! (IMHO) My GL has gone from good-handling grocery-getter that autoX's to a true sport sedan that I have 100% confidence in.

SCCA WOR/OVR/NEOh Regions
Race Control Marshall
#53 Silver Street Touring "S" '98 Contour
GL; 2.5l-5 spd
"Koni Kit - Sport Struts w/progressive "sport" springs" from HMS!!
Custom 24-mm Rear Sway also from Terry
BAT Camber/Caster through HMS
PF Spherical Ball End Links
Bridgestone S-03's
Grizzly Clutch
lightened SVT flywheel (Thanks KnuConceptz)
DMD from incomparable Terry Haines!
K&N & Dynomax
Mintex pads
Chris Hightower Rear Strut Tower Bar
M
M
one question, smile were those koni struts the yellow adjustable ones?

T
T
Yes...

V6 MTX
'Don't p**s up my back then tell me it's raining!!!"
'Its only nuts & bolts!'
'If I build it,fix it,upgrade it or modify it...MAYBE they will come....!
Haines Motor Sports Inc,
Dealer for 'Quaife America' & 'Autotech Sport Tuning'
SOLE USA Dealer for the American Axle 'AUSSIE BAR'...
Get a Turbo for you Zetec from HMS Inc...by 'The Demon' ...www.DemonDynamics.co.uk
..don't talk about it DO IT !!!
A
A
What if you have GC's and the Aussie bar already? Special pricing for the rest of the parts?
-Andy

Andy Watson
'99 Silver SVT #2397| DOB 07/29/99
Graci!

American Iron Shoot Out - Event Promoter!
Check it out, we need your input!
Www Dot American Iron Shoot Out Dot Com
D
D
so...it looks like your car was lowered about 1.25" all around. How much lower is the SVT than the normal Contour?

2000 Silver SVT #1602
Check it out in the registry!
Mi Coche
L
L
is this kit available now. if so how much I am ready to purchase something soon. also can you use ground controls with this kit.

18" enkei cdr9 w/ kumho 225/40/18
5% limo all around
alpine head unit
jl xr series door speaks
2 jl w3 w/ppi 2600 and 1 farad cap
b&m
clear head lights
dingless
D
D
Quote:
Originally posted by livinsvt:
is this kit available now. if so how much I am ready to purchase something soon. also can you use ground controls with this kit.
um...I guess you can. I don't know why you'd want to do this, though. The kit comes with springs. If you want the ground controls, just get those and a set of koni struts.

BTW, SeiCoRacing, I've seen your pics...they're not very...inclusive. Could you snap a few more? laugh Thanks.

2000 Silver SVT #1602
Check it out in the registry!
Mi Coche
B
B
Quote:
Originally posted by Derk2000:
so...it looks like your car was lowered about 1.25" all around. How much lower is the SVT than the normal Contour?
The SVT has a standard ride height. It is essentually the same ride height as the non SVT. The SVT looks lower because of the SVT ground effects package.

Jim Johnson
98 SVT
T
T
I think the 'real' test will be today,when Mike Sidel (SeiCoRacing) is racing the car...I'm sure he will give some 'track feedback' to us... wink

V6 MTX
'Don't p**s up my back then tell me it's raining!!!"
'Its only nuts & bolts!'
'If I build it,fix it,upgrade it or modify it...MAYBE they will come....!
Haines Motor Sports Inc,
Dealer for 'Quaife America' & 'Autotech Sport Tuning'
SOLE USA Dealer for the American Axle 'AUSSIE BAR'...
Get a Turbo for you Zetec from HMS Inc...by 'The Demon' ...www.DemonDynamics.co.uk
..don't talk about it DO IT !!!
S
OP Offline
S
cool laugh cool eek cool
Woo-Hoo! 2nd overall in STS in a two-day event to a modded Acura RSX! Objective measurement: in past with stiock springs, SVT struts, Hoosier DOT slicks, never was within closer than 7-8 seconds of any full-bodied [stock, street prepared, modified or Street Touring] overall FTD - fastest time of day. This weekend, in addition to holding off even more (than me) modified Hondas (legal engine upgrades, brakes PLUS suspension) in Street Touring Street Tires. Yesterday (round one) the RSX got me by less than .4 sec, and we both were within 4 sec of FTD. Today, with diff course, he got me by about .7 sec, but again we were both about 4 sec or less off FTD.

Driving impressions in Solo competition, course length .6 mile+, slightly eroding asphalt surface with elevation changes (drainage and about 30 feet altitude North-South due to terrain):
Handling: most of the understeer is about gone, unless local turn conditions are off-camber, but even then much less pronounced and controllable.
Overall traction: both in acceleration and decelleration, as well as with regard to lateral, with the same tires and eventually about the same pressure I ran with previous suspension, much, much more "stick." Even in WOT accel out of hairpin to the lights, considerable improvement in getting power down, when I correctly modulated trail braking. Rear end came around more than previously, but very consistent and predictable: I never got to the point that it felt like I was going to swap ends, but understeer was only noticable on decreasing radius, downhill, off-camber going into a 6-pylon slalom. Slalom and chicanes were smooth, quick and predictable, with little-to-no noticable sway with what seems to be optimum Koni steetings for my driving style (from full soft) 1/4-turn firmer in front, 3/4 turn counterclockwise Firmer in rear.

The limits of the car with this suspension this weekend were probably more factor of my slightly greater than accustomed caution with unknown suspension and tire combination, plus some admitted ineptitude with braking.

I simply MUST learn to two-foot trail brake and modulate same better [I still hell-toe, which can be a bit tricky with our peddle placement.]

The one coment from a former pro-rallyer, several-time "One-Lap" driver, and former road-racer is the the 'Tour looked much flatter, with hardly any lean, more predictable, and that he had never seen me look nearly as smooth! High praise from Doug, & I atribute 98% of it to the combined kit setup, plus 2% increased&increasing confidence in control.

Hope that answers some questions. For those who have asked for more or diff pics, will try to do so in near future, preferably with smaller file size so you don't have to wait until your children have left home to view them. Also have in-car videos from both days that I first want to edit to remove extraneous waiting for car ahead of me to launch or driving back to grid. Also need to remove the few ecstatic expletives after a good run (of which there were many more than expected.)

For those who are considering this, I cannot empasize enough how pleased I am. All I did both days was GRIN laugh !

Height query: As of day I picked up, ca. 1.5" front, tad more than 1" rear, but fuel load was different. Ground clearance in SVT, or SE w/side skirt, I believe, is a factor of moldings, than actual ride height, per se.

Gotta go watch F1, drink beer, & watch Hockenheim.
By for now.

SCCA WOR/OVR/NEOh Regions
Race Control Marshall
#53 Silver Street Touring "S" '98 Contour
GL; 2.5l-5 spd
"Koni Kit - Sport Struts w/progressive "sport" springs" from HMS!!
Custom 24-mm Rear Sway also from Terry
BAT Camber/Caster through HMS
PF Spherical Ball End Links
Bridgestone S-03's
Grizzly Clutch
lightened SVT flywheel (Thanks KnuConceptz)
DMD from incomparable Terry Haines!
K&N & Dynomax
Mintex pads
Chris Hightower Rear Strut Tower Bar
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard