Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#339741 08/03/02 09:27 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Just watched it again for like the 5th time. Movie is called "The Jack Bull", stars John Cusack and John Goodman (probably one of the greatest roles he's ever played, IMO). Western movie about a Horse trader taking the law into his own hands over a dispute with a deadbeat customer. which ended up with a few people dead. John Goodman plays a Judge, the only judge in this town that's not corrupt. Gives the horse trader the justice he wanted, even though it's not in his favor. Simple story, no special effects...but it's a great movie nonetheless. It's been on HBO alot, or if you can find it in the video store I suggest you rent it and watch it one afternoon. That is all.

1999 Silver Frost SVT
#609 of 2760
Born on 12/3/98

KKM Intake
Removed Resonator
35% Window Tint all around
Tinted Tail Lights
ElKy Mesh Grilles
HID

Dyno'ed at 175.3HP/155.5TQ

"How much must I live through just to get away..."
#339742 08/03/02 09:46 PM
D
D
That is the dumbest movie I have ever watched!!!!!! I am not being sarcastic!!! When he was being walked to be hanged, I thought for sure the judge would intervene and reverse the decision. But no, the movie just ended up being about what's wrong with "the system". Terrible and incredibly disappointing!!! I'm not just saying this to be an ass. Everyone that watched it with me thought it was stupid.

Silver E1
I'm afraid Speed Demon has given me the mod bug.
AIM: Davo7Wins
#339743 08/03/02 09:52 PM
T
OP Offline
T
must be me....always have the skewed view on things

1999 Silver Frost SVT
#609 of 2760
Born on 12/3/98

KKM Intake
Removed Resonator
Tinted Tail Lights
ElKy Mesh Grilles
HID

#339744 08/03/02 10:07 PM
M
M
Quote:
Originally posted by Davo7SVT:
That is the dumbest movie I have ever watched!!!!!! I am not being sarcastic!!! When he was being walked to be hanged, I thought for sure the judge would intervene and reverse the decision. But no, the movie just ended up being about what's wrong with "the system". Terrible and incredibly disappointing!!! I'm not just saying this to be an ass. Everyone that watched it with me thought it was stupid.
You missed the point of the movie....even though you stated it. The point of the movie is that the system wasn't wrong. The point was if you bypass the system, instead of letting it work for you, you will be punished by that very system.

I agree that movies that don't end "happy" are often disappointing....but that is because we are so used to movies being based on a fairytale.

95 Mystique LS Young America edition, V6, MTX, Yeah...it's stock. Now with new underhood wiring!!! My Profile
Moderator of the Florida Contour Enthusiast Group
#339745 08/03/02 10:12 PM
D
D
If I want to see "the system" at work, I'll go and read a newspaper. If I want to be entertained, I'll watch a movie.

The movie leading up to the end really wasn't all that bad, it's just that the ending killed it. I enjoyed the anticipation of how he would get out of it, but the audience is seriously let down. Kind of like last year's Planet of the Apes.

Silver E1
I'm afraid Speed Demon has given me the mod bug.
AIM: Davo7Wins
#339746 08/03/02 10:41 PM
S
S
Good Movie. I saw that a couple years back on HBO too. John Cusack's second best role, of course, Better Off Dead being first. laugh

98.5 SVT Black/Blue
As Thomas Jefferson was fond of saying, "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."
If you're driving 60 in the left lane do us all a favor, GTFOOTW..
#339747 08/03/02 10:46 PM
T
OP Offline
T
I don't see it that way at all...the whole movie was about Redding wanting justice, and that's exactly what he got. The problem is that he took matters into his own hands, and some people wound up dead, one of which he didnt' kill, but noone could prove it. You could even see in the judges expressions he was believing redding. But, the evidence and the jury decided reddings fate. You can't just go and say, you know what, I believe you, you're free to go. The Judge even said it when he confronted the other judge on the matter( i wont give away the ending). The system doesn't work that way, and you can't change the system to suit your needs. It's designed to protect us, but, can work against us as well. Moonlight is right, it's hardly a letdown. You're supposed to feel bad for the main character. Obviously you prefer the instant gratification of most fictional movies. Doesn't mean the movie is bad.

1999 Silver Frost SVT
#609 of 2760
Born on 12/3/98

KKM Intake
Removed Resonator
Tinted Tail Lights
ElKy Mesh Grilles
HID

#339748 08/04/02 03:02 AM
F
F
Quote:
Originally posted by MystiqueSVT:
Quote:
Originally posted by Davo7SVT:
[b]That is the dumbest movie I have ever watched!!!!!! I am not being sarcastic!!! When he was being walked to be hanged, I thought for sure the judge would intervene and reverse the decision. But no, the movie just ended up being about what's wrong with "the system". Terrible and incredibly disappointing!!! I'm not just saying this to be an ass. Everyone that watched it with me thought it was stupid.
You missed the point of the movie....even though you stated it. The point of the movie is that the system wasn't wrong. The point was if you bypass the system, instead of letting it work for you, you will be punished by that very system.

I agree that movies that don't end "happy" are often disappointing....but that is because we are so used to movies being based on a fairytale.[/b]
I believe this is why people like to distinctly label flicks as either "films" or "movies".

Kim
2001 Mercury Cougar C2
1995 Contour GL
Quote: Originally posted by shotwell:
Yeah, I keep checking too. I'm afraid that just as the site goes down my car will burst into flames or something (knocking rapidly on wood)!

Link Copied to Clipboard