Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
S
I know this sounds uncaring but be happy you still have a job...

S
S
Quote:
Originally posted by RT and his SE:
If you can afford to rock the boat than by all means rock away! But if you can't and you do than you might be part of the next streamlining cut! It's a slippery slope. Watch your step! Good luck!
Good advice

98.5 SVT Black/Blue
As Thomas Jefferson was fond of saying, "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."
If you're driving 60 in the left lane do us all a favor, GTFOOTW..
S
S
I will chime a vote of dissent. I personally believe that most bosses really are concerned with the well being of their employees, as it is in their best interests to be. That said, I would ask to see why you were chosen, instead of another person on your team to be moved to this position. There may be more to this than you think, and it may have been intended as a compliment to your abilities (and perhaps be grooming you for a promotion) rather than just throwing you to the rat hole.

While emphasizing that you will do your best job in the new position, I would also let the boss know that this move is less than satisfactory to you.

I don't think letting the boss know how you feel in a respectful manner which reassures him/her of your future strong effort to the job will have any averse consequences to your career. In fact, I have found I am respected more by my managers by being an involved member of the process, and have been promoted to a position where that type of input is expected as a part of my job. If asked to jump and I don't understand the reason for jumping, I am expected to either find out why I am jumping or to come up with a better procedure.

Saying nothing when the boss knows you have concerns looks just as bad as railing to your boss in an unprofessional manner about them. Character and backbone are important traits most managers look for in recommending employees for promotions. It just needs to be presented in a professional manner as positively as possible.

You can pillage an enemy once, but a customer is an endless resource.

James Oerichbauer - PFPC Global Fund Services

Ross: 1998 E0 SVT Contour, Toreador Red, Konis, Superchip, KKM w/heat shield, SHO-shop y-pipe and rear strut brace, no res, ScotchCal, Moda Sport 16x7.5 wheels with 205/55ZR16 Dayton Dayton tires... more
P
P
Quote:
I personally believe that most bosses really are concerned with the well being of their employees, as it is in their best interests to be.
None of which work at Pepsi Cola of Las Cruces and Electrolux Home Products of Webster City Iowa. frown

I guess it's because they don't have to care because I can so easily be replaced. frown

P. Valdez

1998 VW Jetta TDI
1.9L I4 direct injection turbo diesel
5 speed manual
no mods, no money

AIM:PackRatTDI

My exhaust smells better than yours.
P
P
IMO, I'd say it honestly depends on your job. If you are in a field where you are making good money and would have a hard time finding another job, than by all means just make do. However, if it's a pretty run-of-the-mill place with a high turnover voice your dissatisfaction and if they don't like it, get a different job.

Ex. I work in retail. Where I live I could probably get at least half a dozen other jobs that are similar in pay and position. If things turned into teh suck where I worked and there was nothing I could do about it, I would just quit and get another job.

my .02

-Pete

Every time I come online I wonder if the forums will be up
R
R
I have to agree with PA.

The harsh truth is your employer owes you NOTHING but pay for the work you have performed.

The liberating side of that is, you owe them NOTHING but 100% effort for the job you have been hired to do.

I would suggest not writing a letter. Have a conversation. Things in writing tend to be permanent and can "grow legs" within an organization.

We have all felt wronged by our employer at some point in time (sometimes often as in PackRat's case).

Kharma is very real and she is one mean b!tch.
S
S
It's just a job, not your life. Isn't it?

Remember - work to live, don't live to work. They only pay you for 40 +/- hours a week, don't give them any more than that for free.

Sidewinder: 1999 SVT
Thud: 1998 SE V-6
Edgecrusher: 1998 Mercury Mountaineer, 5.0L
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard