Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
S
Quote:
Originally posted by jcboeckl:
Sandman333,

Just curious....is there any minimum overage you generally don't pull people over for.

Say for example someone was going 8-9miles over. Would you persue them or would you wait for something a bit more. I know that I've passed cops sitting on the side of the highway several time going say 8-10mph over the speed limit and they didn't pull me over!

Always wondered if there was a minimum overage or something?
Yes, but that is up to the individual officer. Generally, on the highway (55+ MPH zone) I won't pull someone over for speeding until they are doing 10+ over. At 15 over they get a ticket no matter what. In town, with speed limits of 20 - 30 MPH, 5 MPH over is the limit, anything over that is subject to stopping and ticketing. That might seem harsh, but you have to look at the speed % over the limit, and you will see what I mean.

"When I take action, I'm not going to fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt. It's going to be decisive." - President George W. Bush

95 Contour SE ATX V6
"Cracked" Secondaries
DMD Installed
SVT Brakes
J
J
I wonder about the cosine error. Since the officer is bringing the speed as determined by the radar gun as evidence, I suspect some might be convinced to dismiss it because of cosine error, regardless of who it favors.

It may be sufficient to prove that the gun is inaccurate, regardless of who it favors.

Of course there are other ways of backing that up, such as the officers training to judge speed by observing the vehicle and such.

Such is the quirks of our legal system. For a criminal offense, even a misdemenor such a speeding, the burden of proof is always on the prosecution, all the defendant has to do is present enough doubt to prevent conviction.

However, I suspect in traffic court, you will simply anger the judge wink

TB
Not a fan of speeding tickets, as I feel there are far worse traffic offenses that go un-challenged, but I do understand why it is the way it is.

Tony Boner
Personal: 98cdw27@charter.net Work: tony.boner@sun.com
Saving the computer world from WinBloze as Unix/Solaris/Java Guru http://www.sun.com
1998 Contour SVT Pre-E1 618/6535 Born On Date: 4/30/1997
Now with Aussie Bar induced mild oversteer.
T
T
Why not just come to Canada? (Miles....KM....do the math) I find that you'z dudes (eh) from the good ole' US of Eh..,....er "A" seem to let loose and speed past us Canucks on our glistening highways. It's like a prebuscent teen who's experienced their first beer....a person seeing Star Wars for the first time....a Republican buying knee pads...

1995 Mercury Mystique GS Sport
2.5 Duratec
K&N Drop In
High-Flo exhaust
Tint

Bad things:
- clear coat flaking off!
- timing chain going
- idler pulley defunct
- rack and pinion going bleh
- Ford dealerships
T
T
The ones in my area that are listed are so obvious that you'd be a moron if you didn't see it coming.

In terms of speeding, don't forget that the officer can also write you up for speeding if he has to get behind you doing X mph. Example: you drive past doing 75 in a 55. He pulls out and does 75 then flicks on his lights. On the ticket, he will mark "MATCHED" or something similar. The helicopter/aircraft ones are the worst. No radar gun can pick it up (because they usually use VASCAR) and you rarely see it coming.

Dan Parmelee
1999 Acura Integra SiR-G coupe
"I heard Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms"
"Word, bitch! Phantoms like a muhfuka"
S
S
Quote:
Originally posted by TiQUe-bOy:
Why not just come to Canada? (Miles....KM....do the math) I find that you'z dudes (eh) from the good ole' US of Eh..,....er "A" seem to let loose and speed past us Canucks on our glistening highways. It's like a prebuscent teen who's experienced their first beer....a person seeing Star Wars for the first time....a Republican buying knee pads...
HEHEHEHEH, When i was heading to Montreal on 401 i think we were doing 90mph plus the whole way there and didn't see one cop!!!

99 SVT Tropic Green
#151 of 503/ 2760 total
Born on 10/07/98
Adopted 7/15/00
LETS GO RANGERS (looking good this year)
T
T
Quote:
Originally posted by javaContour:
I wonder about the cosine error. Since the officer is bringing the speed as determined by the radar gun as evidence, I suspect some might be convinced to dismiss it because of cosine error, regardless of who it favors.

It may be sufficient to prove that the gun is inaccurate, regardless of who it favors.

Of course there are other ways of backing that up, such as the officers training to judge speed by observing the vehicle and such.

Such is the quirks of our legal system. For a criminal offense, even a misdemenor such a speeding, the burden of proof is always on the prosecution, all the defendant has to do is present enough doubt to prevent conviction.

TB
Not a fan of speeding tickets, as I feel there are far worse traffic offenses that go un-challenged, but I do understand why it is the way it is.
In Florida, before any officer recieves his/her certification to operate radar, they must demonstrate the ability to estimate speeds both from a stationary and moving position.

Once called to testify in a infraction hearing for speed, they can present their certification and thus prove that they can visually estimate speeds. Actually, the visual tracking is a crucial element in proving a speed case. It just adds another strike against the defendant, and backs up the radar reading. Same thing with the audio doppler shift that the officer hears.

Radar is a wonderful thing, but Laser and Aircraft are so much better.

Also, speeding is not a misdemeanor. It is merely an infraction, at least in FL.

Jacob
1999 Tropic Green SVT
1693/2760 3/30/1999
Knauberized Fog Light Mod
F
F
Quote:
Originally posted by Slim Shady:
Quote:
[b]Why not just come to Canada? (Miles....KM....do the math) I find that you'z dudes (eh) from the good ole' US of Eh..,....er "A" seem to let loose and speed past us Canucks on our glistening highways. It's like a prebuscent teen who's experienced their first beer....a person seeing Star Wars for the first time....a Republican buying knee pads...
HEHEHEHEH, When i was heading to Montreal on 401 i think we were doing 90mph plus the whole way there and didn't see one cop!!![/b]
I've driven through canada like 3 times now to get to MI and every time, all the "canucks" are driving 90mph!!!
pisses me off to watch them all whiz by like that while I'm doing the slow ass speed limit.
frown mad

Kim
2001 Mercury Cougar C2
1995 Contour GL
Quote: Originally posted by shotwell:
Yeah, I keep checking too. I'm afraid that just as the site goes down my car will burst into flames or something (knocking rapidly on wood)!
S
S
Quote:
Originally posted by javaContour:

Doesn't work that way, as the gun always errs on the side of the speeder. Always. All the defense will prove by bringing up cosine error is that the defendant was actually driving faster than the indicated speed on the radar gun. Case closed.

No, as the gun is accurate, just the method of measurement introduces error. However, that error is always on the side of the speeder. See above.

One of the guys in my department is like that. He can look at a car and guess its speed within 2 MPH 99% of the time. It's freaky. You can't understand how freaky until you sit next to him and he calls off the speed before hitting the gun. Almost always within 2 MPH, and very frequently dead on...

But using the "defenses" you listed above, all the defendant will do is convict himself.

However, I suspect in traffic court, you will simply anger the judge wink

TB
I use speeding tickets as a means of criminal investigation. laugh

"When I take action, I'm not going to fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt. It's going to be decisive." - President George W. Bush

95 Contour SE ATX V6
"Cracked" Secondaries
DMD Installed
SVT Brakes
S
S
Quote:
...a Democrat buying Cigars and KY? laugh eek

95 Contour SE ATX V6
"Cracked" Secondaries
DMD Installed
SVT Brakes
P
P
Quote:
Originally posted by frenchblueC2:
Quote:
Originally posted by Slim Shady:
[b]
Quote:
[b]Why not just come to Canada? (Miles....KM....do the math) I find that you'z dudes (eh) from the good ole' US of Eh..,....er "A" seem to let loose and speed past us Canucks on our glistening highways. It's like a prebuscent teen who's experienced their first beer....a person seeing Star Wars for the first time....a Republican buying knee pads...
HEHEHEHEH, When i was heading to Montreal on 401 i think we were doing 90mph plus the whole way there and didn't see one cop!!![/b]
I've driven through canada like 3 times now to get to MI and every time, all the "canucks" are driving 90mph!!!
pisses me off to watch them all whiz by like that while I'm doing the slow ass speed limit.
frown mad [/b]
Go to Mexico, where the speedlimit on the open road isn't readily enforced.

P. Valdez

1998 VW Jetta TDI
1.9L I4 direct injection turbo diesel
5 speed manual
no mods, no money

AIM:PackRatTDI

My exhaust smells better than yours.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard