Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#27255 07/29/02 01:47 AM
T
OP Offline
T
What types are safe to use. I know my Haynes manual says to use ATF type F fluid, but I was wondering if it would be okay to use the same stuff I used when I swapped my tranny fluid. I used the Mobil 1 AFT fluid when I did my trans.

What do you guys recommend

Thanks

Evan Groenke
1999 Silver Frost SVT #1919
183.9hp 163.7lb/ft tq @ the wheels
Now bitter at Ford
D
D
Mobil 1 ATF works great!

2000 SVT #674 - Check it out!

Whoever coined the phrase; "If it ain't broke; don't fix it" ~ Just doesn't get it...
B
B
The 95 and possibly the 96 manual specified type F transmission fluid. After that, the manuals specified Mercon transmission fluid. Unofficially Mercon has been used in power steering systems instead of type F for years.

Mobil 1 ATF meets Mercon specs. Mobil 1 ATF is what I use.

Jim Johnson
98 SVT
J
J
OK...I've heard so much conflicting info about this...so a bunch of questions: confused

So you're saying that it *is* OK to use Mobile 1 ATF (or any Dexron Mercon ATF) in the power steering units (all years)? There isn't any reason that Ford specified Type F as opposed to Mercon???

Are they fully compatible? (OK to top off w/Mercon if filled w/Type F?) Are we better off switching to Mobile 1? Is Type F recommended at all any more or has Ford decided Mercon is better? What exactly is the difference between Type F & Mercon, anyway?

(I'm assuming it's not a good idea to use regular power steering fluid [labeled PS fluid - not ATF]? But haven't some folks said that they switched to synthetic power steering fluid?)

(BTW, my '95-'98 Haynes Manual specifies Type F for all years.)

'96 Contour SE 2.5L Duratec V6 MTX Teal
Purchased New - 9/95
43,000 Miles - I Know, I Need To Get That Water Pump Replaced!!
K&N Air Filter/K&N Oil Filter, Castrol Full Synthetic Oil - Switching to Mobile 1
Advance Auto Salesperson (When Not Working At My Reg Job [Wildlife Biologist])
(Hey, Why Not - I Get A 20% Discount & Have Access To All The Parts Catalogs!!!!)
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks

Evan Groenke
1999 Silver Frost SVT #1919
183.9hp 163.7lb/ft tq @ the wheels
Now bitter at Ford
R
R
WTF?

My owners' manual specifies "Ford Spec ESW-M2C33-F" power steering fluid.

I can't find this stuff anywhere. What gives?

"Function before fashion."

'96 Contour SE
Q
qaz Offline
Q
ESW-M2C33-F is a specification...any Type F fluid will probably say somewhere on the label that it meets this specification.

Brian

P
P
Quote:
Originally posted by RogerB:
WTF?

My owners' manual specifies "Ford Spec ESW-M2C33-F" power steering fluid.

I can't find this stuff anywhere. What gives?
Ford puts those Ford specs in the manual to make you think that you have to buy the fluid from Ford. I bet the first line of that spec says "This specification defines the properties and characteristics of the Type F ATF approved for use in Ford applications" or something of that jist.

1998 Silver Frost SVT Contour born on...8/28/01[/i]
American Iron Shootout Radial Tire 2 Class Champion, Cecil County Dragway April 20, 2002
R
R
OK. I've been looking at power steering fluid in the stores, and most don't list what specs they meet. Those that do, list a different Ford spec than M2C33.

I'll have a gander at the ATF fluid bottles, and also look at my manual again for more details.

One more question, though: If I'm just topping off my system, is there a combination of fluids that might cause harm? That is, if the system contains M2C33 (whatever that is) and I add any old type F ATF, am I going to be OK?

"Function before fashion."

'96 Contour SE
E
E
What the heck is MERCON anyhow?

Is it a synthetic fluid??

I need to change both my MTX fluid AND my power steering fluid.

The local SVT dealer says they've never heard of putting a synthetic oil into an MTX-75 fluid change.

I'm confused...

BIG JIM, help us all, pleeeeease! confused

1998 EO SVT, silver frost, stock
2002 Ashcroft Homes Albany model, that's why the SVT is stock!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard