Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
I LOVE the sound of my secondaries opening up at about 4000 rpm's in my SHO... It has a nice roar, and kick in the pants. Although it hurts my gas mileage I just can't stop. laugh laugh

R
R
Quote:
Originally posted by 94SHOklahoma:
I LOVE the sound of my secondaries opening up at about 4000 rpm's in my SHO... It has a nice roar, and kick in the pants. Although it hurts my gas mileage I just can't stop. laugh laugh
Thank you for proving my point! A perfect example of a DOHC multivalve engine that has some grunt! Just to name one. The SHO motor does have a real nice kick when the secondaries open up. The duratec on the other hand has a nice little slump and then a little surge when the secondaries open. Not quite even close to being in the same league as the SHO. I dont think your gas mileage is any worse than the duratec either! laugh

D
D
However this IS NOT other engines. It is a Duratec (notice the proper spelling :rolleyes: )

If you can not differentiate between different engines having different characteristics than this whole topic is moot for you. You obviously do not like these cars or engines by the way you talk and your lack of knowledge is staggering.

BTW show me a normally aspriated DOHC engine that "smokes" the Duratec in TQ & HP. It is quite an efficient design.
Also it would behoove you to maybe try to atleast compare like displacements to each other or atleast use a weighted average HP & TQ per liter.

My guess is the only engines that pop up will be factory style race prep engines (like the S2000) or perhaps a few that employ VVT technology.

Also since you don't seem to like these cars & engines; why the heck are you even on this site? We definitely don't need your extra attention and bad mouthing. Even with as much of a humor break as it is...

For the record vs your SHO 3L comparrison - a stock 3L Duratec with only the SVT cams as a mod made 240HP/205TQ. No PCM tuning at all! SHO; what SHO??? :p

2000 SVT #674 - Check it out!

Whoever coined the phrase; "If it ain't broke; don't fix it" ~ Just doesn't get it...
L
L
Quote:
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
For the record vs your SHO 3L comparrison - a stock 3L Duratec with only the SVT cams as a mod made 240HP/205TQ. No PCM tuning at all! SHO; what SHO??? :p
details please? I would definetly like to read up on this one.....

STD's are like Pokemon...
Gotta catch em' all!
D
D
Quote:
Originally posted by LittleFishie:
details please? I would definetly like to read up on this one.....
http://www.contour.org/cgi-ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=search;search_forum=6

Try the dyno forum & the 3L forum...

Whoever coined the phrase; "If it ain't broke; don't fix it" ~ Just doesn't get it...
T
T
I would be happer if my Contour had a Yamaha engine in it. smile My SHO's engine was way smoother throughout it's whole revv range. And when it's secondary intake runners opened up at 4000rpms there was a VERY noticable surge in power. Also, the SHO Taurus I bought used with 107k miles on it. For the 2 years I had it I put 30k miles on it and during those 30k miles it visited 7400rpms every other red light. smile No problems with the engine at all. I went through two clutches with that car, though. Duratec has nothing on the SHO engine.

Chris (AIM: "ToBeHuman")
Long Beach, CA, USA
Current Car: '99 Contour SE Sport V6, ATX, Deep Navy Blue Metallic (AKA Larin)
Previous Car: '94 Taurus SHO, MTX, Green (AKA Sydney)
Previous Car: '99 Cougar I4, MTX, Silver Frost (AKA Suzanna)
J
jiako Offline OP
OP Offline
J
My 3L with 3L heads and svt cams put 196 to wheels with no engine mods...that is probably who he is referring to.

jiako|98 svt silver|kkm true rev|18" Enkie RS5 wrapped w/falken GRB FK451 215/40|Mesh grill|
Sony headunit|Boston Acoutics (4)5X7|Memphis 1100 amp|(2) JL 12W3|KVR X drilled rotors|35% tint|2.25" True Duals w/ Magnaflows| kkm pedals|LSD|Fidnaza Flywheel|Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch|FMS wires|Konis/Eibach|ESP bushings and Mounts|75MM PRO FLOW|DMD|Aluminum shifter & E-brake handle|SAFC|HID's and a few more cc's 196.1 and 183.4
D
D
Quote:
Originally posted by ToBeHuman:
Duratec has nothing on the SHO engine.
Except higher specific output, better sounding, easier to work on, cheaper parts, installed in an infinitely better vehicle.
Should I continue...

Don't get me wrong. The Yamaha engine is one heck of a gem, but it is stuck inside a POS vehicle to begin with.

D
D
If you want to comapre engine specs, the proper comparion of the "Yamahammer" to the Duratec should be with BOTH in 3L factory form. The 3L Duratec power rating is from 200 (taurus) to 220 (Lincoln LS, Mazda 6), to 250 (new S-type Jag..was 240) depending on induction/exhaust/valvegear systems. Tourque is 200 to about 225lb/ft. Very comparable to the 220/220ish SHO. While both are fine engines, what is remarkable is Duratec achives these goals with a mass produced V6 whereas the Yamaha is limited production & hand built.

here is the add slogan SVT should have used..

SVT Duratec....2.5L of in your face fun. Porsche designed, Cosworth technology, Roush modified, 3 time Ward's "10 Best engine" winner, and STILL holds record for best specific output from a mass produced gas engine without F.I, variable valve timing, or 5 valves per cylinder. (just get that DMD to save the bearings>>> frown )

1999 Amazon Green SVT Contour (#554/2760)
Stock SVT Duratec V6 with:
Intake- K&N filter/75mm MAF meter
Exhaust- MSDS Y-pipe/Bassani catback
Durability-Ford "dual mode" damper, Mobil 1/K&N oil filter
179.2 FWHP at 6900 RPM
T
T
The Yamaha engine got it's 220hp without variable valve timing. The 220 and 250 hp versions of the Duratec have variable valve timing. Also, I don't think the 2.5 liter Duratec, even with it's shorter stroke, could survive 7400rpm visits every other 5 minutes like my 3.0 SHO engine did. The Contour's engine bay with the Duratec is just as cramped as my '94 Taurus SHO engine bay was. Only downside I can think of about the SHO engine is that the parts do cost alot more.

Chris (AIM: "ToBeHuman")
Long Beach, CA, USA
Current Car: '99 Contour SE Sport V6, ATX, Deep Navy Blue Metallic (AKA Larin)
Previous Car: '94 Taurus SHO, MTX, Green (AKA Sydney)
Previous Car: '99 Cougar I4, MTX, Silver Frost (AKA Suzanna)
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard