Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
dion Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Well, my IMRC is finally acting up to the point that it's dead as soon as I drive a couple of miles and the engine has warmed up, so I decided to pin the secondaries open. Has anyone else tried it this way though? I removed the linkage from the IMRC's spring loaded lever to the secondaries lever, effectively letting the computer "open and close" the secondaries, when in reality, it's already open. I opened the secondaries, and put a zip tie to make sure it doesn't close up while driving. I haven't thrown a CEL yet, and the car, of course, is running better due the IMRC not acting up (creating a "surge" or just malfunctioning all together).

dion
98 SVT with some mods
http://communities.msn.com/contourstuff
D
D
Yes putting a return spring on the IMRC cable has been done before.

You won't throw a CEL because the PCM thinks the IMRC is working properly. However because the PCM thinks the IMRC is working properly you will not get fuel & timing ramped up until the normal IMRC point.

2000 SVT #674 - Check it out!

Whoever coined the phrase; "If it ain't broke; don't fix it" ~ Just doesn't get it...
D
dion Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Quote:
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
Yes putting a return spring on the IMRC cable has been done before.

You won't throw a CEL because the PCM thinks the IMRC is working properly. However because the PCM thinks the IMRC is working properly you will not get fuel & timing ramped up until the normal IMRC point.
There was already a return spring on the cable lever. I took out the linkage "bar" between the return spring link and the secondary link.

As for the fuel and timing, I was only looking for drivability, because the IMRC is basically dead. But I was wondering, since the secondaries are now opened, the PCM will note there is more slightly more air coming through at idle, won't it? It'll then try to provide more fuel, yes? At any rate, I'm running a Superchip as of right now, with a soft limit at 7600 and the fuel cutoff at 7700, and the car seems to pull harder above 4k, but probably because the IMRC isn't interfering with airflow (ie: opening and closing at high rpm's!). I'm just stoked that the car is driving better now.

dion
98 SVT with some mods
T
T
Just by taking out the link bar ...you still have one bank of secondries closed!!!! wink

V6 MTX
'Don't p**s up my back then tell me it's raining!!!"
'Its only nuts & bolts!'
'If I build it,fix it,upgrade it or modify it...MAYBE they will come....!
Haines Motor Sports Inc,
Dealer for 'Quaife America' & 'Autotech Sport Tuning'
SOLE USA Dealer for the American Axle 'AUSSIE BAR'...
Get a Turbo for you Zetec from HMS Inc...by 'The Demon' ...www.DemonDynamics.co.uk
..don't talk about it DO IT !!!
D
dion Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Quote:
Originally posted by Terry Haines:
Just by taking out the link bar ...you still have one bank of secondries closed!!!! wink
holy crap! i completelyl forgot about the second bank! LOL

dion
98 SVT with some mods
K
K
Pinning secondaries = 25lbs tq loss on stock timing and 2hp gain at the top.

If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?
D
dion Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser.:
Pinning secondaries = 25lbs tq loss on stock timing and 2hp gain at the top.
okay, I released the IMRC cable all together, relieved some tension on the spring, pinned the second bank of secondaries. Drives even better.

As for the loss or gains, I don't care at this point, because as I stated above, it's the drivability I'm concerned with, and with the IMRC opening and closing at WOT, or not opening at all, it's just a better deal for me until I get a new IMRC box.

My chip is burned for RJL1, and SCA asked for more timing and fuel when it was ordered. I really don't know parameters were set, other than the soft limit at 7600 and fuel cutoff at 7700. I do know the car drives nicer on the freeway now!

dion
98 SVT with some mods

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard