B
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
Originally posted by NO 4 EVR:
Originally posted by elraido:
thermostat is a cheap/easy mod to.

ah, I have read about that. This site (post 14 near the bottom) provides useful info about colder thermostats but it has a warning about how some think it may be damaging to the car. Anyone else find this to be true?

Colder but not cold is good. What is stock? You go to low and the car won't always see it's best operating temp and that's not good for gas mileage or longevity.

Problem Solved

www.ChicagoCEG.com 2006 White Grand Prix
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Why bother to mod a Riveria? Its a big heavy car that will never be a sports car, despite your best efforts. The Riv was designed to be a highway cruiser, and the supercharged version was developed to give some degree of power to a car that really should have had a V-8 put in it in the first place. The 3800 Supercharged engine is probably pushed to limits just the way it is, without doing any "mods" to it. The Riv was designed for the country club set, not to race the ricers with.

-Mark- '99 Mystique LS, totally original (including the original water pump and the premium stereo)! Bought new in December 1998 for $21,000. 208,000 miles
B
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
B
Alot of GTP's are running 13's....What was the last time on your Mystique?

www.ChicagoCEG.com 2006 White Grand Prix
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by Beachboy:
Why bother to mod a Riveria? Its a big heavy car that will never be a sports car, despite your best efforts. The Riv was designed to be a highway cruiser, and the supercharged version was developed to give some degree of power to a car that really should have had a V-8 put in it in the first place. The 3800 Supercharged engine is probably pushed to limits just the way it is, without doing any "mods" to it. The Riv was designed for the country club set, not to race the ricers with.

faster then you car will ever be. And can be faster than 90% of the tours out there.

95 SE MTX svt exhaust intake deer killer
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
I have a 2000 GTP with the series II 3.8 and it's not stock.

First off, whoever says modding is stupid just because it's a heavy boat of a car with no handling is ignorant. Why not take advantage of one of the best engines ever made when it has a roots blower on it?

Definitely don't put a 3.0" pulley on the car stock, or even with decent exhaust work. You will chip a piston, and there goes your engine. Contrary to popular belief, even a 3.4" pulley on a stock car can easily chip a piston.

My mods are a 180 degree t-stat (stock is 195, and 160 is too cold since the car will never fully warm up), autolite 104s (yes ford plugs in a pontiac lol), a 3" downpipe (versus about 2.25 stock), a wizaired cold air intake with 9" k&n cone, a DHP v.1 pcm (raised shift points to 6k, firmer shifts, a few more degrees of timiing, etc. and a very proven pcm for the 3.8s), 1.84 ratio roller rockers, and a 3.4" supercharger pulley (stock is 3.8). Stock I ran a 14.9 @ 93.5. With the mods it hits 13.5s with absolutely no prep, in full street trim. Drag radials and a little tuning of the fuel with a MAF translator would net me low 13s easy, with a tiny $700 in mods.

If you wanted an easy 11-second car, they make turbo kits. If you want easy and inexpensive 12s, they make full size intercoolers and there are very nice cam grinds available.

For more info, visit clubgp.com. Stay clear of 3800pro, it's a crooked company (Intense Interprises). For mods, visit zzperformance.com. They are active in the GP community and back their products.

Have fun with it man, it might not handle like a contour, but it can easily have tons of horsepower.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
The motors are very nice for power, I looked into GTP's before I got both svt's.

There was a guy in a buick at milan running consistant 12.9's, very sweet.

My only gripes are:
- No manual
- The motor sounds like ass, I have NEVER heard a good sounding 3800

Alex '99 SVT Contour -=|WANTED: Vortech, working or not |=-
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Quote:

My only gripes are:
- No manual
- The motor sounds like ass, I have NEVER heard a good sounding 3800

I agree on both. I think the GTO would have been a killer car, if they didn't call it a GTO. It's basically a grand prix with what everyone wanted...RWD and manual, but they tried calling it a GTO.

The 3800 sounds awesome at idle and cruise, but it definitely sounds like ass no matter what at wide open throttle. The commodore (australian rwd 3800 version) sounds hotttt.

N
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
N
Originally posted by dredwingz03:

The 3800 sounds awesome at idle and cruise, but it definitely sounds like ass no matter what at wide open throttle. The commodore (australian rwd 3800 version) sounds hotttt.

I like the sound of the 3800 in general. I have to say the series II in the buick sounds better than the series I N/A in my 92 Bonneville tho. And with minor tuning and modding I can now hear the s/c whine and it sounds good.

Best mobile phone resource site, especially Sony Ericsson 1996 Buick Riviera Gutted airbox K&N Air filter Modded boost bypass valve
N
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
N
With my current mods is it safe to install autolite 104s (2 heat ranges cooler) now or should I use 605s (1 heat range cooler) for now until I get more mods?

Best mobile phone resource site, especially Sony Ericsson 1996 Buick Riviera Gutted airbox K&N Air filter Modded boost bypass valve
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard