#1639376 09/01/06 02:00 PM
M
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by TexasRealtor:
Originally posted by BrApple:
its all in the way it is presented, the cover leter helps that also

but everythign on my resume is all me ...

I hope you spelling improves on your resume.

ladies and gentlemen, welcome to ironyville. population, texasrelator.

02 Mustang GT... Tuned by Nelsons. Low 12's, anyone? .....______ ___|______\_____ |/-\_________/-\_| .\_/...............\_/
#1639377 09/01/06 02:17 PM
I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
Originally posted by MxRacer:

I had to re-read their posts since I didn't catch it first time around. I think that's sig-worthy!

BrApple-its all in the way it is presented...but everythign on my resume is all me TexasRealtor-I hope you spelling improves on your resume. MxRacer-ladies and gentlemen, welcome to ironyville. population, texasrelator.
#1639378 09/01/06 02:30 PM
H
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
H
haha, TexasRealtor has been zapped!!

#1639379 09/01/06 02:35 PM
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by RogerB:
Anything you put on there, you'd better be able to back it up face to face.

Definately. Mine is all me, but depending on the position, taylored to emphasize the experience & qualifications that are pertinent.

A bit of real life once in a lifetime kinda experience is left in as that just looks good, but most of the resume will have qualifications & experience targeted as an easy read for the reviewer so he can match skills with the job. All the superfluous junk can be discussed & presented in an interview - so bring a resume with a complete listing of experience & qualifications, just in case the interview team wants a full run-down.

Gaps in the employment dates I don't care about. If asked, let interviewers know you were working where-ever for some months to pay the bills & the employment experience was not of particular value to the current application, offer up the complete employment time-line & call it a day. Hasn't failed me yet.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
#1639380 09/01/06 03:45 PM
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by MxRacer:

Welcome yerself.

"Eagles may soar high, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."
#1639381 09/01/06 04:55 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Mine used to be all me, but then I realized that it was pathetic and I had more skills than what my job experience was. So since my mom owns her own computer business, I just used her as a "job" with the skills I know I have, and she'll back it up. That was just for mainly as an "office" job so if I apply for data entry, or receptionist or something like that, I will have the "experience" which really isn't a lie cause my mom DOES own her own computer tutor company and I did help her start it and work for her, so I guess it IS all me. LOLOLOL, but I never worked in an office before, so that was my "office" experience.

2004 Ford Freestar V6 Boogity Boogity Boogity, Let's go racin Boys!
#1639382 09/02/06 04:57 AM
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
As one of the resident "old guys" at CEG, I'm now in the position of interviewing and hiring, and thus sorting through a half dozen or more resumes to determine who we call in for interviews. Its really fun to have the "shoe on the other foot" in life...

I look through the resumes, trying to ignore the computer enhancements like "cool" layouts and fancy fonts, and try to cut to the chase. We always require college transcripts, regardless of the applicant's age, and I don't automatically kick an applicant out just because of a few lousy grades in college, because I know I had my share. But if I see a trend toward better grades towards their senior years, that's a plus. I don't put any weight towards participation in frats, despite what the frats try to sell their pledges. I bear in mind the wages we are offering (its state government) and their accomplishments and stated career goals. I fully realize that most college graduates will have no intentions of making a career with one employer, so we look for who can help us out the most in the short term.

As far as "enhancing" your resume, after a few years experience going through dozens of resumes, you can spot the typical "enhancement" language a mile off. And believe me, when I see a lot of it, its a red flag. I'd must rather consider a person for interview that came across as honest in their resume, rather than some "hot dog" that I know is either embellishing his resume or else is way too qualified for the job we're offering, and will be moving on to another job within a year, leaving us to start the whole process over again.

Just my two cents....

-Mark- '99 Mystique LS, totally original (including the original water pump and the premium stereo)! Bought new in December 1998 for $21,000. 208,000 miles
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard