Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Pete D:
I'd go with whichever one runs cooler.

definitely the Intel chip then

'04 Mazda6S MTX Injen CAI, 18% Tint, Magnaflow Catback, CPE-MAFc My Mazda6 PICS Toadster's Website
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
I don't know on the whole Vista stuff (if I ever even want it), but my laptop had "Vista Compatible" emblazoned all over the box and stuck on the body. I removed the sticker because it was ugly.

Brad "Diva": 2004 Mazda 6s 5-door, Volcanic Red Rex: 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, Harbor Blue.
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
Originally posted by Toadster:

Do you have any facts to back this up? (besides the fact of you working for Intel)

I have seen a ton of Celeron, P3 and P4 laptops that all have thermal probs. Not saying the Turion runs cooler, just looking for the hard data.

"Bros before Hoes" <-- More men need this mentality.
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T

Do you have any facts to back this up? (besides the fact of you working for Intel)

I have seen a ton of Celeron, P3 and P4 laptops that all have thermal probs. Not saying the Turion runs cooler, just looking for the hard data.

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=288&type=expert&pid=10

Heat
To measure the heat put out by the T7600 CPU, we take measurements using the CPUâ??s internal thermal diode and by attaching a temperature probe to the top of the processorâ??s heatpipe.

Intelâ??s production of the mobile Core 2 Duo CPUs has definitely improved quite a bit! The T7600 performs much cooler than the T7400 Engineering Sample and slightly cooler than the Core Duo T2600, but that would be because of the cooler ambient temperature.

Impressions and Conclusions

Intel has done it! While in our early look at the T7400 showed rather poor battery performance the T7600 we have tested today, which is heading into production, has made drastic improvements. We can now say without a doubt that Intel's latest mobile CPU has nailed the holy grail in mobile computing - it performs faster, consumes less power, and generates less heat. What else is there to say besides that?

'04 Mazda6S MTX Injen CAI, 18% Tint, Magnaflow Catback, CPE-MAFc My Mazda6 PICS Toadster's Website
T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T

i do not know about the newest generations of amd chips, but they used to be "notorious" for running hot. It's not really a problem, but proper cooling is something you should put thought into when building a machine.

atleast it was the last time I had an amd processor.

Any brand name computer should have adequate cooling already.

Also, i'm pretty sure this has changed, but amd cpu's/mobo's didn't use to have thermal protewction on the chip/motherboard...so if say your cpu fan burned out the computer wouldn't shut down and you'd probably fry your cpu.

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/08/22/amd_dual_core_laptops_have_arrived/page19.html

However, compared to an Intel platform based on the Core Duo and the company's own GM 945 chipset, the combination of AMD CPU and ATI chipset is inferior in terms of battery time and multitasking performance. Therefore, under equal conditions, it can only be regarded as the second choice - if it is worth getting at all. The Core Duo 2, Intel's next generation of laptop processors is already at hand, and first measurements show that the Core Duo 2 is even more powerful while not consuming more power.

doesn't even compare go Centrino!

Good info. Will the new chip also run Vista?

I still won't pay the premium for an Intel chip based system. Besides, AMD will respond.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/08/22/amd_dual_core_laptops_have_arrived/page19.html

However, compared to an Intel platform based on the Core Duo and the company's own GM 945 chipset, the combination of AMD CPU and ATI chipset is inferior in terms of battery time and multitasking performance. Therefore, under equal conditions, it can only be regarded as the second choice - if it is worth getting at all. The Core Duo 2, Intel's next generation of laptop processors is already at hand, and first measurements show that the Core Duo 2 is even more powerful while not consuming more power.

I still won't pay the premium for an Intel chip based system. Besides, AMD will respond.

absolutely it will run Vista! i have several sytems running Vista right now... P4, P4D, P4EE, and Core 2 Duo

T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T

oh - and by the way, have you honestly priced out a system lately? Intel will surprise you

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T

absolutely it will run Vista! i have several sytems running Vista right now... P4, P4D, P4EE, and Core 2 Duo

64 or 32 bit Vista?

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T

oh - and by the way, have you honestly priced out a system lately? Intel will surprise you

Yes, I have. In the price range I was shopping, comparably equipped & capable Intel systems could not touch the AMD machines. It was like getting a vid card and OS for free.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard