Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1637848 08/30/06 12:15 AM
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
What size screen do you want/need? That makes a big decision.

For me, I use my 17" laptop as my main computer (even for gaming, read below).

Mine is a Dell Inspiron 9300, which is nearly identical to an XPS Generation 2 and XPS M170 (Not the XPS M1710, which is a Core Duo setup, probly have a newer Core2 setup now), except the following:

• 9300 lacks a gigabit ethernet port, rather has a 100Mbit
  • 9300 comes factory with a "lesser" Geforce go6800 instead of the XPS's 6800 Ultra and 7800GTX setup, however it sill has 256MB of dedicated VRAM
  • Due to the "lesser" video card, there is also a smaller and less capable heatsink for the video card/chipset, however the 6800U/7800GTX and heatsink are a direct fit, no modifications necessary except flashing the BIOS with an XPS image to 'trick' the BIOS into thinking it's an XPS. The 7900, however, requires some modification to work properly.

Now the fun stuff!

My 2005 Inspiron 9300 with (now) 2GB of 533MHz DDR2, Geforce go6800 with 256MB of VRAM and modded driver to allow overclocking, and the 17" non-gloss 1440x900 screen allow me to play all the newest games at the highest resolutions. I'm currently playing Hitman: Blood Money in 1440x900 resolution with everything on and set to high except AA, which is set to off. Silky smooth!

Here's a good idea... pick up a used 9300 (NOT a 9200, it won't work) that had the 64MB ATI video card (NOT the Intel integrated, it won't work) and the Celeron M processor. This was the lowest end 9300 you could get at the time.

Get this said 'low-end' 9300 cheap off Ebay or somewhere else. Do a bit of research off of the Notebookfourms.com.

Then buy yourself a 400MHz FSB 1.6-1.7GHz Pentium M (NOT a 533MHz, it won't work properly). Read up on the pinmod tutorial and use the pinmod to 'trick' the computer at running the 400MHz processor at 533MHz.

The deal on the pinmodding is this: The 533MHz processor has a certain pin grounded to tell the i915 chipset to run in 533MHz mode. The 400MHz processor does not have this pin grounded. Since the processors are identical internally except this one thing, grounding the pin on a 400MHz P-M will cause the processor to not run at the stock 1.6GHz with 400MHz bus, but rather at 2.13GHz with the 533MHz bus.

Now you could just buy a 533MHz 2.13GHz P-M, but they are expensive compared to a 400MHz processor that is kinda old now.

Also pick yourself up a 256MB Geforce 7800GTX video card with heatsink (you will also need the 130W XPS power supply and a 9-cell battery for this to work). Install the bad boy and flash the BIOS into thinking it's an XPS (so that the 7800 isn't run in 'battery save' mode all the time, which will happen w/o the XPS BIOS image).

Get yourself 2GB of G.Skill ram of Newegg.

Enjoy your laptop that will blow anything but the newest, highest end gaming computers (including desktops!) WAY out... and yes, that includes even a similarly equipped Alienware setup... Sure pissed those guys off when they needed a new motherboard to upgrade their video card, then the XPS pulling better 3dmark scores to boot! Got so bad, they said that any Dell guys trolling on the Alienware boards would be banned... guess they're a little sensitive that they paid 3x the price of what it would cost for the above 'low end' 9300 and upgrades that beats em!

BTW, this Pentium M pinmod is said to be Intel's best mistake since the really old PII era Celerons that could be overclocked way beyond the fastest PII could for less than $100 (where as the best PII was nearly $1000).

The above statement is why Intel "multiplier locked" their processors... didn't want another mistake like that... but this P-M pinmod is pretty close!

Oh, and the XPS M1710 has a Geforce 7900GTX with 512MB of dedicated VRAM...

The M2010 in the above picture has an ATI x1800 with 256MB of dedicated VRAM. A 7800GTX (don't even ask about the 7900GTX!) gets better 3dmark scores than that x1800, which makes me wonder why they put a crappier video card in the highest end laptop...

• Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
    #1637849 08/30/06 12:15 AM
    T
    Hard-core CEG\'er
    Hard-core CEG\'er
    T
    Do not get a toshiba tecra. Mine is having the harddrive die again... yeah this is the 6th time. I've also had the mobo replaced under warrenty. Toshiba is one of the few companies that doesn't have a lemon policy. Keep that in mind... so I am stuck with a lemon of a laptop getting it repaired every 2-3 months for 4 years. Oh, the loss of data is so much fun, since there is basically no warning when it will die. I have to backup every two days or so due to this pos.

#1637850 08/30/06 12:34 AM
    L
    Hard-core CEG\'er
    OP Offline
    Hard-core CEG\'er
    L
    Originally posted by Big Daddy Kane:

Mine is a Dell Inspiron 9300, which is nearly identical to an XPS Generation 2 and XPS M170 (Not the XPS M1710, which is a Core Duo setup, probly have a newer Core2 setup now), except the following:

• 9300 comes factory with a "lesser" Geforce go6800 instead of the XPS's 6800 Ultra and 7800GTX setup, however it sill has 256MB of dedicated VRAM
  • Due to the "lesser" video card, there is also a smaller and less capable heatsink for the video card/chipset, however the 6800U/7800GTX and heatsink are a direct fit, no modifications necessary except flashing the BIOS with an XPS image to 'trick' the BIOS into thinking it's an XPS. The 7900, however, requires some modification to work properly.

Now the fun stuff!

My 2005 Inspiron 9300 with (now) 2GB of 533MHz DDR2, Geforce go6800 with 256MB of VRAM and modded driver to allow overclocking, and the 17" non-gloss 1440x900 screen allow me to play all the newest games at the highest resolutions. I'm currently playing Hitman: Blood Money in 1440x900 resolution with everything on and set to high except AA, which is set to off. Silky smooth!

Here's a good idea... pick up a used 9300 (NOT a 9200, it won't work) that had the 64MB ATI video card (NOT the Intel integrated, it won't work) and the Celeron M processor. This was the lowest end 9300 you could get at the time.

Get this said 'low-end' 9300 cheap off Ebay or somewhere else. Do a bit of research off of the Notebookfourms.com.

Then buy yourself a 400MHz FSB 1.6-1.7GHz Pentium M (NOT a 533MHz, it won't work properly). Read up on the pinmod tutorial and use the pinmod to 'trick' the computer at running the 400MHz processor at 533MHz.

The deal on the pinmodding is this: The 533MHz processor has a certain pin grounded to tell the i915 chipset to run in 533MHz mode. The 400MHz processor does not have this pin grounded. Since the processors are identical internally except this one thing, grounding the pin on a 400MHz P-M will cause the processor to not run at the stock 1.6GHz with 400MHz bus, but rather at 2.13GHz with the 533MHz bus.

Now you could just buy a 533MHz 2.13GHz P-M, but they are expensive compared to a 400MHz processor that is kinda old now.

Also pick yourself up a 256MB Geforce 7800GTX video card with heatsink (you will also need the 130W XPS power supply and a 9-cell battery for this to work). Install the bad boy and flash the BIOS into thinking it's an XPS (so that the 7800 isn't run in 'battery save' mode all the time, which will happen w/o the XPS BIOS image).

Enjoy your laptop that will blow anything but the newest, highest end gaming computers (including desktops!) WAY out... and yes, that includes even a similarly equipped Alienware setup... Sure pissed those guys off when they needed a new motherboard to upgrade their video card, then the XPS pulling better 3dmark scores to boot! Got so bad, they said that any Dell guys trolling on the Alienware boards would be banned... guess they're a little sensitive that they paid 3x the price of what it would cost for the above 'low end' 9300 and upgrades that beats em!

BTW, this Pentium M pinmod is said to be Intel's best mistake since the really old PII era Celerons that could be overclocked way beyond the fastest PII could for less than $100 (where as the best PII was nearly $1000).

The above statement is why Intel "multiplier locked" their processors... didn't want another mistake like that... but this P-M pinmod is pretty close!

The M2010 in the above picture has an ATI x1800 with 256MB of dedicated VRAM. A 7800GTX (don't even ask about the 7900GTX!) gets better 3dmark scores than that x1800, which makes me wonder why they put a crappier video card in the highest end laptop...

• wow man thats alot of info, alot of it is over my head, though does sound promising, looks like i got some reading to do. Approx. how much will it cost for all those chips and heatsinks and what not you are advising me to get?

95 Merc Stique Zetec 2.0 Auto
    #1637851 08/30/06 12:38 AM
    R
    Hard-core CEG\'er
    Hard-core CEG\'er
    R

Now the fun stuff!

• And if you installed a blower and plasma drive you'll be able to drag race all the ricers around campus!

IBM's use to be good but now that there not built by IBM anymore it's hard to say.
    Whatever you buy get a good warranty. Don't count on your hard drive as your only means of storage. Whether it's CD's, an external hard drive or jump drives you have to have something else. Warranties don't cover data recovery. They all break. Portable doesn't mean durable.

99 Contour Sport SE MTX KKM filter, B&M shifter No res, BAT kit Green car silver hood (because silver is faster)
    #1637852 08/30/06 12:43 AM
    L
    Hard-core CEG\'er
    OP Offline
    Hard-core CEG\'er
    L
    yeah i understand that, ill be using this old pc to store my data.

95 Merc Stique Zetec 2.0 Auto
    #1637853 08/30/06 12:47 AM
    G
    Veteran CEG\'er
    Veteran CEG\'er
    G
    Originally posted by loggerbomb:
    I didnt suggest IBM because i never see any ads for them,

IBM is now Lenovo. The only thing that has changed is the name. They're still assembled in Raleigh, NC. They are still the BEST...especially the T series because the T stands for the titanium case....very rugged. I use one for work everyday and it gets bumped around a LOT. I've had NO PROBLEMS with it. Of course, I AM biased since I work for IBM.

'99 Sport TropicGreen,Duratec, SVT exhaust, Brembo rotors, Ceramic pads, K&N filters(oil & air), Alpine CDM7874, Polk DB570 speakers front and rear. Fog light mod. 50% Formula One tint.
    #1637854 08/30/06 12:51 AM
    F
    Hard-core CEG\'er
    Hard-core CEG\'er
    F
    Originally posted by TexasRealtor:
    I've had a Toshiba for about 2 years with no problems

Me too, my Toshiba Tecra is holding up rather well and I really like it's wireless software.

I've been a diehard Thinkpad supporter and still feel if your primary function is work/school related than it is the best choice. They are rugged and bug free.

If your gaming Dell would be a better choice.

Money doesn't always bring happiness. People with ten million dollars are no happier than people with nine million dollars ~ Hobart Brown
    #1637855 08/30/06 01:11 AM
    R
    Hard-core CEG\'er
    Hard-core CEG\'er
    R
    Originally posted by gearhead:

IBM is now Lenovo. The only thing that has changed is the name. They're still assembled in Raleigh, NC. They are still the BEST...especially the T series because the T stands for the titanium case....very rugged. I use one for work everyday and it gets bumped around a LOT. I've had NO PROBLEMS with it. Of course, I AM biased since I work for IBM.

Quote:

IBM sells notebook division to Lenovo

The end of the Thinkpad era?.....IBM has sold it's PC manfacturing business to the Lenovo Group, China's largest PC company for around 1.75 billion dollars. Lenovo is partially owned by the Chinese government and has a prominent market share in China. This news comes 23 years after the release of the first IBM personal computer.

Will the quality remain? Only time will tell.

99 Contour Sport SE MTX KKM filter, B&M shifter No res, BAT kit Green car silver hood (because silver is faster)
    #1637856 08/30/06 01:16 AM
    B
    Hard-core CEG\'er
    Hard-core CEG\'er
    B
    My big ass post above

wow man thats alot of info, alot of it is over my head, though does sound promising, looks like i got some reading to do. Approx. how much will it cost for all those chips and heatsinks and what not you are advising me to get?

The parts vary, since they're off Ebay or similar sources.

Laptop should be quite a bit less than $1000. Anybody over $700 for that thing is trying to rip people off. Here is one for $650 on Ebay: link.

The video card might be around $250-$350 depending on if it's new or used and if it was bought when Dell screwed up and was charging next to nothing ($200) for the best card on the market at the time (the 7800GTX that is). They're apparantly still going for over $300, linky Will also need a 9 cell battery (link $42) and 130W brick (link $35) to use the 7800GTX card.

There is a processor on Ebay for $55 at the moment... link

The system Ram is $160 at the moment at Newegg (1GB each for $80). link

~$1200 for this system. Fairly current, except isn't a dual core, and doesn't do 64 bit stuff.

An equivalent new computer will be around $2500-$3000, but that also includes a warranty.

You can always check out the Dell Outlet for refurbished systems... it's where I picked up my 1 month old 9300 from for $1247 shipped next day air. The way I recieved it, it would have cost $2400 new. Not bad if you ask me!

Warranty on mine ran out in Feburary, so I started modding it. Before the wararnty was up, I put in the same 2GB G.Skill above. After that, I did the motherboard I got on Ebay for $100 a while ago due to me breaking off the headphone jack. Next was getting a P-M 725 and pinmodding it. Next up will be the 7800GTX for a huge jump in performance over my go6800 I currently have.

So far I have $1500 into it, and will have just under $2000 in it when I'm done. Not too bad for a laptop that outperformes something I would have paid nearly $4000 for in 2005

I also have a cover for the back of the LCD that is Cherry Burlwood woodgrain finish that I get complemented on EVERYWHERE!

Looks A LOT better in person, but here's a pic I took about 30 seconds ago:

Click for 1600x1200 full size.

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
    #1637857 08/30/06 01:31 AM
    R
    Hard-core CEG'er
    Hard-core CEG'er
    R
    Originally posted by RT and his SE:
    Originally posted by gearhead:

Quote:

IBM sells notebook division to Lenovo

The end of the Thinkpad era?.....IBM has sold it's PC manfacturing business to the Lenovo Group, China's largest PC company for around 1.75 billion dollars. Lenovo is partially owned by the Chinese government and has a prominent market share in China. This news comes 23 years after the release of the first IBM personal computer.

Will the quality remain? Only time will tell.

Honestly, all of the people I know who have Lenovo Thinkpads love them just as much as their old IBM Thinkpads. I'm still aiming to get me a tiny X series clamshell one of these days (likely a used Lenovo X40)

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard