Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
The GM 6.0 liter Votec V-8 produces 362HP and 390 PF of torque. I wonder why they decided against the LS2 (400HP & 400 FP)?

"Eagles may soar high, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."
L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
Originally posted by TexasRealtor:
The GM 6.0 liter Votec V-8 produces 362HP and 390 PF of torque. I wonder why they decided against the LS2 (400HP & 400 FP)?

You have to remeber they are in totaly different vehicles with different layouts and purposes, i.e. in a corvette the exhaust alone is made more for power, duals with x-pipe opposes to a y-pipe design in a truck. They also have to take in effect durabiltiy and the transmissions an other components with it, like transfer cases. All that plays in to effect in how they tune the engine. Don't forget towing either, puts alot stress on an engine and trans.

'99 Silver svt For sale 19" Axis Neo wheels 3.0 parts, pre-98 trunk, Check classifieds bp.powell@comcast.net
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Livinsvt:

You have to remeber they are in totaly different vehicles with different layouts and purposes, i.e. in a corvette the exhaust alone is made more for power, duals with x-pipe opposes to a y-pipe design in a truck. They also have to take in effect durabiltiy and the transmissions an other components with it, like transfer cases. All that plays in to effect in how they tune the engine. Don't forget towing either, puts alot stress on an engine and trans.

But why put that in a perfomance sedan over the LS2? Isn't the vortec V-8 a truck engine?

S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S

They produce more of them, therefore they're cheaper. They also keep a car that's priced probably $15,000 cheaper than a Corvette from having the same power. 'Vette guys don't like that which is why GM has usually marketed their other cars with lower output than the 'Vette even if they're really doing the same.

2003 Mazda6s 3.0L MTX Webpage
2004 Mazda3s 2.3L ATX
L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
[
But why put that in a perfomance sedan over the LS2? Isn't the vortec V-8 a truck engine?

Ya its a truck motor. Couldn't tell you exactly why they choose that. Though I imagine it could have a ls3 when it comes out over here. Or keep the 360 version in it so its not rated higher than the new camaro which most likely could receive the ls3. Also I have heard the diff in the GTO which is probaly the same in the Holden were barely rated to handle the 400hp. So maybe underated it this time. There is numerous factors, couldn't tell ya really. Not everything they do makes sense

'99 Silver svt For sale 19" Axis Neo wheels 3.0 parts, pre-98 trunk, Check classifieds bp.powell@comcast.net
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Quote:

Also I have heard the diff in the GTO which is probaly the same in the Holden were barely rated to handle the 400hp. So maybe underated it this time.

Um, the GTO differential is anything but weak. Everything around it -- driveshaft, stubs, axles -- is weak, but the differential is very strong. There's guys running 10s (just a tad bit more than 400hp) on the stock diff. It's generally considered a couple notches below that of the Ford 8.8 which can handle damn near 1000hp, but it can handle hundreds more HP than stock.

2003 Mazda6s 3.0L MTX Webpage
2004 Mazda3s 2.3L ATX
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by sigma:
Quote:

Also I have heard the diff in the GTO which is probaly the same in the Holden were barely rated to handle the 400hp. So maybe underated it this time.

Um, the GTO differential is anything but weak. Everything around it -- driveshaft, stubs, axles -- is weak, but the differential is very strong. There's guys running 10s (just a tad bit more than 400hp) on the stock diff. It's generally considered a couple notches below that of the Ford 8.8 which can handle damn near 1000hp, but it can handle hundreds more HP than stock.

I've heard also that the diff. is pretty stout, the clutch is another matter though. Anyway, anyone have the 1/4 mile, 0-60, etc for the Holden?

...and I wish Pontiac would just kill the new front end, the Holden's looks hot.

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
The bar across the front grill needs to go on that Lumin-ized version of the Commodore - cos it makes it look too much like a Lumina - if that makes sense. IMO the current Lumina is one FUGLY car. Why mkae is successor as ugly?

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
X
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
X
Originally posted by Stazi:
IMO the current Lumina is one FUGLY car. Why mkae is successor as ugly?

Are you referring to the 95'-00' Lumina or the holden based?

Originally posted by Chickens:
Religion can't do much for ashholes (unless you are an alterboy)

98.5 Se w/SVT mods 98 E0 SVT~ sold
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by Livinsvt:

Doesn't the LS2 in the GTO have a Y pipe?

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard