Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
I am Contour/Mystique noobie here, and I need some suggestions.

My Sister inlaw is giving me her Mystique to use as my daily driver, but it is currently not running. When the car was last running, she turned the ac on, and the car killed. The place they towed the car too is suggesting a new compressor or a compressor bypass to get the car running again. When I get my hands on the car, what kind of things can I check for myself? Do they make a compressor bypass kit for these cars? Like I said, the car is going to be a daily driver, and I am not really concerned about the ac working or not.

The car is a 1995 4 cylinder auto with about 100k miles on it.

Thanks.

Scott 2004 Ford Mustang GT Magnaflow exhaust, FRPP C springs, 18" Saleen rims. 1999 Mercury Mystique The beater.
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
Possibly a locked comopressor (or a compressor ready to go out). You can get a shorter serpentine belt to by-pass the a/c compressor.

96' ATX Zetec- stock 96' ATX Zetec- Modded Kenwood KDC-319 5.75"-2 MTX 12's Roady XT Custom door panels Mystique Cluster/oil pressure Getting repainted(in primer) Pre98 Lip SE skirts Mystique front lip dingless badgeless
S
OP Offline
S
Originally posted by pre98zetec:
Possibly a locked comopressor (or a compressor ready to go out). You can get a shorter serpentine belt to by-pass the a/c compressor.

So it is possible to throw a shorter belt on there to bypass the compressor without removing the compressor on a temp basis?

Any idea on what size belt I would need to do this?

Scott 2004 Ford Mustang GT Magnaflow exhaust, FRPP C springs, 18" Saleen rims. 1999 Mercury Mystique The beater.
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
yes you can run a belt by-passing the a/c.. I don't know the belt size offhand, when you go to autozone just tell them you want a belt to by-pass the ac.

96' ATX Zetec- stock 96' ATX Zetec- Modded Kenwood KDC-319 5.75"-2 MTX 12's Roady XT Custom door panels Mystique Cluster/oil pressure Getting repainted(in primer) Pre98 Lip SE skirts Mystique front lip dingless badgeless
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Welcome . Figure 11 for serpentine belt routing without A/C for the Zetec 2.0. In addition, after putting in the correct information for your car, (year, engine, etc.) click "buy it here today" for the belt and the belt information will be up. You can buy the belt from Autozone, Advance or Ford Dealer.
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/be/f3/0900823d801bbef3.jsp

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
S
OP Offline
S
Originally posted by Tony2005:
Welcome . Figure 11 for serpentine belt routing without A/C for the Zetec 2.0. In addition, after putting in the correct information for your car, (year, engine, etc.) click "buy it here today" for the belt and the belt information will be up. You can buy the belt from Autozone, Advance or Ford Dealer.
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/be/f3/0900823d801bbef3.jsp

Thats what I am looking for. Thanks!

B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
You're willing to run without AC in THIS summer's heat! Not me!

-Mark- '99 Mystique LS, totally original (including the original water pump and the premium stereo)! Bought new in December 1998 for $21,000. 208,000 miles
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Maybe the Mystique will be a winter car? There should be a small gap between the clutch face and the pulley, and with the car off you should be able to turn the clutch face by hand (stiffly), that's an easy compressor test. Could be the pulley bearing is bad. The clutch/pulley be replaced without changing the whole compressor.

S
OP Offline
S
Went and looked at the car real quick this morning. Turns out it is a 99, not a 95. Cut the drivebelt off and the car started right up, so its either the pulley or the compressor. So I am going to pickup a shorter belt for the time being and get the car home(its about 50 miles away.)I didn't get a chance to mess around with the compressor pulley today, but when I get the car home I will.

The only other problem I need to address to get the car to pass inspection is the drivers side rear taillight. It doesn't light up with the brakes or the turnsignal, and the bulbs appear to be in good shape. Might be a lamp socket or wiring problem.

As far as the AC goes, I drive a Coca Cola truck for a living, and it doesn't have AC, so I have gotten used to going with it. Hell, I can count on one hand how many times I have used the AC in my Mustang GT, so its not a big deal to go without it.

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
I just noticed you live in LA-Louisiana. You have some heat tolerance built up I live in upstate NY, it is hot enough..Is your work truck like a UPS or stepvan truck? It might be worth checking other pulleys as well as the alternator. A free car that runs is hard to beat. It's newer than mine..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard