Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#1596819 06/23/06 10:04 PM
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Originally posted by IRingTwyce:
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
I mean, unless you spend all your time going to extremes to protect yourself and thus looking like a lunatic most of the time, then you're not doing everything you can.

Are you saying that if this woman had taken her car key off the ring to give to the valet, then that would be a lunatic extreme in protecting herself?
There is nothing lunatic in using simple common sense to protect ones self and ones property. I would also posit that it is not lunatic to protect ones self beyond common sense, i.e. registered fire-arms and proper training. Besides, I'd rather look slightly paranoid while breathing than look stupid but pretty in a casket.

This is her fault in the sense that she herself could have prevented it by using just a ounce, nay, a SMIDGEN! of common sense!!

It is not her fault in the sense that this guy was a nut, and if she was specifically targeted (i.e. having nothing to do with her GIVING him the keys) then he's going to do it regardless. Remember, locks are for honest people.

I think he was an opportunist, more so than a methodical monster, but assigning fault here is not what's needed. Assigning responsibility is. She was 100% irresponsible in handing over all her keys. Period. The valet is 100% responsible for his actions AFTER she gave him the keys.

Spoken like a true Texan

This guy worked at the hospital where she worked, this was not a one time restraunt or bar valet type service. This was a guy she saw everyday. He admitted to being madly in love with her anm *IMHO* would have broken in if he did not have a key.

Money doesn't always bring happiness. People with ten million dollars are no happier than people with nine million dollars ~ Hobart Brown
#1596820 06/23/06 11:03 PM
T
TGO Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by cliffjohnson:
i don't see the point in altering my life drastically to prevent it. taking little precautions like looking both ways, yes, i live in the city and that's a must. but i'm not going to remove keys, insurance info, inspection reciepts and the such "just in case". the way i see it when The Man calls, you go no matter how much you try to prevent it.

How is taking your house keys off your key ring before you give your car key to a stranger drastic??

And Kremit - I did NOT say this is the lady's fault, I said I don't think people should feel too sorry for her . Yeah, the guy is nuts, but WTF WOULD YOU GIVE HIM YOUR HOUSE KEYS FOR!?!?!?!?!? Is the world not capable of logic?

If you take your car to a mechanic, do you leave him your house keys too? If you gave your neighbor a key to your house to feed your dog while you were away for a day or two, would you make sure to leave the key to your safe/lockbox on the ring too??

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
#1596821 06/24/06 12:47 AM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by jthursby:
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
Yeah I feel sorry for her. There is no reason you should have to worry about not giving all your keys to a guy doing his job. Yes there are valet keys for this purpose and it's sad that we need them. It is in no way her fault.

Really? Since when is lack of common sense somebody elses fault? The world is not going to protect you! you HAVE to show your own initiative, and take responability for your own actions. Is it directly her fault? No not really. But heres the part people don't like to hear, she still could have prevented it!! Give all your keys to a valet? Insanity. Now he can copy your key AND he has all your home address info somewhere in the car. You might as well leave a handgun in the car to make his life easy. And people say "how did this happen?".

Jim T

You know what, i have access to everyone in MN's drivers license number, address, what cars they have, car licence plate number, vin numbers, and sometimes social security numbers. I COULD and DO have the power to screw people over very badly by doing all sorts of bad things with that info....and their is NOTHING they can do about it. IF I chose to do that, should these people be thinking "how did this happen?" NO!! They should be after my neck in a noose. They gave the information, like she gave her keys, to the state and entrusted me (like she did with him) not to do anything bad. If a hot girl comes to work now, I have all her information, should I go to her house and hide under her bed? Get a clue and stop making innocent people the bad person. HE is the one who screwed up, not her.

95 SE MTX svt exhaust intake deer killer
#1596822 06/24/06 01:08 AM
T
TGO Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by elraido:
I COULD and DO have the power to screw people over very badly by doing all sorts of bad things with that info....and their is NOTHING they can do about it.

then go ahead and watch what happens to you.

you're comparing apples and oranges here...is a city employee more likely to sacfirice a job, benefits, pension, etc. Plus the stiff penalties that would be thrown at you for identity theft (and you wouldn't get away with it), then a scraggly looking parking valet?

She made a mistake. Yes, what heppened is bad - but what she did is the same as leaving your house unlocked (or car) and coming back to find stuff missing. And then cyring about it. Could she have known the guy was going to do that...no, but if she had only given him her car key - i guarantee they wouldn't have found his @$$ under their bed.

Originally posted by Fmr12B:

This guy worked at the hospital where she worked, this was not a one time restraunt or bar valet type service. This was a guy she saw everyday. He admitted to being madly in love with her anm *IMHO* would have broken in if he did not have a key.

Unfortunately your humble opinion doesn't speak for that guy.

We already know he worked at the hospital. Great. How does seeing the parking guy every day equate to you feeling comfortable with him having the keys to the place YOU SLEEP? It doesn't. I wouldn't even entrust some of my friends with the keys to my place.

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
#1596823 06/24/06 01:28 AM
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
Originally posted by TGO:
How is taking your house keys off your key ring before you give your car key to a stranger drastic??

i'm talking about removing every shred of evidence from your car when you park, ie removing keys, registration, insurance cards, inspection reciepts, etc... it's a pain to take all that stuff out every time you valet.

"What did you think about that Dorothy girl?" "The whole Judy Garland thing kinda turned me on. That doesn't make me some sort of fag does it? "Nah baby, your money." 98 Black SVT #3560 of 6535
#1596824 06/24/06 03:51 AM
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
It must be tough to be scarred all the time or maybe it's just paranoia.

99 Contour Sport SE MTX KKM filter, B&M shifter No res, BAT kit Green car silver hood (because silver is faster)
#1596825 06/24/06 04:16 AM
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Well, it seems like there's a fair bit of BS flying around here ...

You cannot seriously say in anyway that she could see this coming. Also how many people ACTUALLY take off their keys for valet, even though I have two sets I still tend to use the most handy set. (Those who have never used valet ... truly you cannot comment on it).
Okay, she could have gone to extreme lengths, but why would she do that? This is more than an open and shut case. This guy wasn;t a known nut, no screening would pick him up.
Maybe she didn't learn her lessons in the lifes hard schools, and was totally savvy from it, but that's no exscuse.

Lets look at it this way. The guy was paid (in part) to park her car for her. There's a trust there that that will get done, and only that. It's no different (in many ways) to someone taking you cash fr say a ticket, then printing a fake and taking your cash. It's all about trust, the job function isn't thtat important.

P.S. Give Kremit a break, he's pretty much on with the over-reaction'ism of this. Can't blame her one little bit IMHO.

1998.5 T-Red on Midnight Blue SVT Build Number 5320 of 6535
#1596826 06/24/06 04:29 AM
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
While I carry two sets and always use the one with only the remote fob (to protect the ignition lock), I also do not believe it is reasonable to expect omniscience.

I do not think someone taking your key, making a copy, and stalking you is a reasonably foreseeable outcome of handing a valet your regular key ring.

Brad "Diva": 2004 Mazda 6s 5-door, Volcanic Red Rex: 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, Harbor Blue.
#1596827 06/24/06 05:03 AM
I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
Originally posted by RT and his SE:
It must be tough to be scarred all the time or maybe it's just paranoia.

When I have 3rd degree burns all over my body, I'll let you know if it's tough to be scarred [sic] all the time. In the mean time, 10 seconds to remove a key from a ring is not being scared, it's being prudent.

Maybe TGO, jtthursby, and I are the only ones here that feel this way, but I personally am amazed and baffled by how sorry everyone feels for someone who did something blatantly stupid and then was surprised when something bad came of it. I'll say this again. Yes, it is sad this happened to her, but my level of give-a-sh!t for her is seriously hampered by her lack of any common sense. (I'm sure I'll get flamed for this comment: If the valet had been allowed his way and HAD killed her, I think she should have been nominated for a Darwin Award!)

It takes maybe 15 seconds to remove a key from the ring, it's not what I'd call time consuming. As to the comment that she saw him every day and therefore was comfortable with him...it's laughable. This was not a man that she had spent ANY time with outside of work, or at work for that matter. Her amount of daily interaction appears to have been handing him a car key and taking a numbered slip of paper in return. Regardless of seeing him every day, she still did not know him!

Through my business, I often see the same people on a daily basis. I may know their names, know what they drive, might even interact with them often, but wouldn't give any of them my house keys for 15 minutes, much less the duration of an 8 hour work shift. In the 8 years I've been lettering vehicles for a living, I cannot remember a single instance when a customer left their car/truck with more than the ignition key. Up until this instance, if someone HAD left me their entire key ring, they would be safe in their home at night because I'm not a psychotic lunatic. Now that this has happened to this woman, you can bet I'll be chasing that customer down in the street to give them back all their keys except the one single key I need.

I know I sound like a broken record here, but it is just PLAIN COMMON SENSE we're talking about here!!!! :deep breath: [/soapbox]

BrApple-its all in the way it is presented...but everythign on my resume is all me TexasRealtor-I hope you spelling improves on your resume. MxRacer-ladies and gentlemen, welcome to ironyville. population, texasrelator.
#1596828 06/24/06 05:37 AM
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Originally posted by XKontour98:
I believe ZoooZoomDiva has a perfect punishment for people like this. Something about it involving a vise grips and a burning barn...

The idea is you take a bench vise permanently secured to the floor of an old decrepit barn. You then put the guy's penis in the vise, tight enough so it cannot be removed, and the vise cannot be opened. Give him a knife, and set the building on fire.

He either cuts it off, or burns to death.

Brad "Diva": 2004 Mazda 6s 5-door, Volcanic Red Rex: 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, Harbor Blue.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard