Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
I sent him a link to download XP tablet pc edition iso.

T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
dude, you can't install xp OVER xp like you could in win9x. All you'll be able to do is install a second copy, which will give you 2 operating systems on one hard drive, which is a no no. Just backup your stuff and load the toshiba disk so you don't even have to worry about drivers.

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by TGO:
dude, you can't install xp OVER xp like you could in win9x. All you'll be able to do is install a second copy, which will give you 2 operating systems on one hard drive, which is a no no. Just backup your stuff and load the toshiba disk so you don't even have to worry about drivers.

Wrong.

XP can be installed over itself again. It's called a Repair installation.

Tony 1998 SVT Contour (B/MB) #542 3L 1998 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1266 parts car 2000 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1533 3L swap to begin!
B
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by SVT4STD:

Wrong.

XP can be installed over itself again. It's called a Repair installation.

+1

www.ChicagoCEG.com 2006 White Grand Prix
T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
im sorry i didn't know there were people that even used that

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
S
Cool Toe Chris
Cool Toe Chris
S

Makes a flaky machine even more flaky. Not worth it, IMHO. Rebuild, never repair.

Chris NJ 98.5 SVT Silver Frost
I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
Originally posted by Shaggy:

Makes a flaky machine even more flaky. Not worth it, IMHO. Rebuild, never repair.

I have a laptop that destabilized and wound up with some corrupted startup files due to an anti-virus prog. Used the repair function and it's back to normal now. No problems whatsoever.

Its possible that any XP disc will work if you're just planning on repairing. I used an XP Pro disc from my business machine to repair the XP Home on my laptop. Might be worth a shot if you've got an XP disc laying around.

BrApple-its all in the way it is presented...but everythign on my resume is all me TexasRealtor-I hope you spelling improves on your resume. MxRacer-ladies and gentlemen, welcome to ironyville. population, texasrelator.
T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by IRingTwyce:

I have a laptop that destabilized and wound up with some corrupted startup files due to an anti-virus prog. Used the repair function and it's back to normal now. No problems whatsoever.

there's always exceptions to the rule.

go ahead and do what you want...but it won't take much more effort to install a fresh copy of windows. but hey, if it jumps up and bites you in the @$$, don't say you weren't warned.

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Another thing... I have heard on Notebookforums that the license on the bottom of the laptop isn't a license for a full version of Windows, but rather just a license for the "restore" the OEM has set up.

So downloading an ISO of the retail or equivalent, you could be treading water with Microsoft.

But a lot of people don't care about that anyway.

I got one of the lucky few Dell laptops that still had the "Create Windows CD" program, which made me a plain XP Home CD without all the Dell BS.

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Big Daddy Kane:
Another thing... I have heard on Notebookforums that the license on the bottom of the laptop isn't a license for a full version of Windows, but rather just a license for the "restore" the OEM has set up.

So downloading an ISO of the retail or equivalent, you could be treading water with Microsoft.

Your licence is for a copy of windows, regardless of installation media. The license is for OEM version of said copy (XP Home; XP Pro, whatever). The only time you ever need a new licence is if you change the motherboard.

Take everything you read in forums with a pinch of salt.

1998.5 T-Red on Midnight Blue SVT Build Number 5320 of 6535
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard