Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
IMHO, the used Contour is a good choice if you do your own repair & maintenance. Lots of fun to drive, but you have to be very pro-active & aggressive with maintenance. If you're looking for a car you can drive hard & just keep to the basic gas & oil, this is not it. Buy a Honda or a Hyundai.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
I think the Contours are pretty reliable for a lower-end older car. There are problems that occur especially with age and abuse, but I think that is pretty normal.

I would be a little leery of a used SVT if you have no idea of the history. Was it taken care of? Or did some kid think he was a street racer? I guess there might be no way of knowing. If you are getting it from someone you know and have some idea of the history, and like doing your own work, then the Contour is a GREAT driving car. I've also heard the complaints from mechanics about the engine bay of the V6's and SVT's. One said "that engine does not belong in that car".

Good luck. Don't over pay.

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Well I own a 4 cylinder and I havent had big problems. The key is to stay on top of the maintenance.

"Do what you like, Because you have to drive it!"-Me 99 Contour LX 95 Mustang GT Convertible 97 Z24 Cavalier
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
IMHO, the used Contour is a good choice if you do your own repair & maintenance. Lots of fun to drive, but you have to be very pro-active & aggressive with maintenance. If you're looking for a car you can drive hard & just keep to the basic gas & oil, this is not it. Buy a Honda or a Hyundai.

Originally posted by Bicycle commuter :
I would be a little leery of a used SVT if you have no idea of the history. Was it taken care of? Or did some kid think he was a street racer? I guess there might be no way of knowing. If you are getting it from someone you know and have some idea of the history, and like doing your own work, then the Contour is a GREAT driving car. I've also heard the complaints from mechanics about the engine bay of the V6's and SVT's. One said "that engine does not belong in that car".

I second both of those...

Take my 98 SVT for example. Lots of mods the original owner did, but were done half assed. Like the 24mm rear sway bar isn't attached to the subframe anymore. It didn't "rip out" like others have said, there just isn't any mounts at all! No bolts, brakets, anything!

Another is the aftermarket cooling fan. A blade broke off for some reason right after I got it, replaced that and now it's falling off! Damn plastic thru-bolts!

And it's got quite a few small things wrong with it, like the IAC valve is acting up, CEL has been on since day #2 of me owning it with no apparent reason.

Hopefully I can get that stuff fixed here when I take a whole day and put on some stuff I got from Bill J.

But I should stop complaining, it's only stranded me twice due to transmission issues, but both were caused by faulty repair work. Guess that's what happens when the previous owner beat on it I went straight to the best with the tranny rebuild (Terry Haines... search for him in "Transaxle"), so I have a little security now!

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Having owned three Contiques, I would say that they are just as reliable car as any.

For the most part the 'unreliable' aspect comes from skipping maintenance, not being prepared for when something breaks, or putting off fixing things. Don't be afraid of maintenance, these cars definitely need it.

If you're buying used without history be prepared to fix blown water-pump on a V6, possible IAC sticking, and oxygen sensors. It's also worth checking the A/C accumulator as the padding around it can cause it to rot through, but that depends a lot on your climate, and it can be removed to help prevent it too.

Other than this I've never come across a problem that isn't basic maintenance. (Except when my clutch blew). The Contour for me, over a combined 8 years on three cars has not been any worse than most vehicles I've owned.

Buying used be prepared to replace any rubber, bushings wear and perish. Also be prepared to replace rear struts, wear is a little quick on these IMO. These are all maintenance though.

1998.5 T-Red on Midnight Blue SVT Build Number 5320 of 6535
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
I have owned one now for 4 years and three of them were trouble free until I broke it by blowing the motor street racing. Otherwise yeah they are very reliable. I love mine and still have it and will not sell it lol.

T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
If you can work on the car it will cost little to repair, Just dont beat on it and you will be fine, its a fun car that likes to be driven hard, but also respected. Basically you have to try and prevent the problems before they happen, that is, keeping your bushing lubricated, changing oil properly and on time, checking the plugs/wires, dont launch the car at all, etc.

99 TRed Contour SVT # 1853 out of 2760 230.2 WHP @ 6500 237.0 WTR @ 2250
Originally posted by MxRacer:
Originally posted by RawBurt:
I'll be keeping it to myself, until the time comes. It'll be hard to find.

much like your weiner.

O
ODC Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
O
It'll get you from point-a to point-b but they have their problems.

Dash warp
Oil starvation
3rd gear shakes

are the big ones.

There's really no car in it's class/used price that beats it though.

If you want reliable and hassle-free, buy a late model Accord or something. I swear those things never die.

J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by ODC:

There's really no car in it's class/used price that beats it though.

So what cars do you consider in the contique class?

And yeah an accord or toyota corrolla will last FOREVER!

"Do what you like, Because you have to drive it!"-Me 99 Contour LX 95 Mustang GT Convertible 97 Z24 Cavalier
I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
Originally posted by jtour:
And yeah an accord or toyota corrolla will last FOREVER!

Yes, but they have no souls. They're the "gingers" of the car world.

BrApple-its all in the way it is presented...but everythign on my resume is all me TexasRealtor-I hope you spelling improves on your resume. MxRacer-ladies and gentlemen, welcome to ironyville. population, texasrelator.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard