Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Addicted CEG\'er
OP Offline
Addicted CEG\'er
C
In the last couple of weeks I have replaced the endlink bushings and replaced the struts and strut mounts. Clunk is noticably quieter, almost 100% gone, but still there. Sway bar mounts are good also. What else can I do?

-Ken V. 1998.5 SE Praire Tan Zetec ATX psycho_bass@hotmail.com Roush springs Roush rear sway bar BAT struts 17" Millie Miglia HT3 and a ton of subtle asthetic mods
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Make certain your spare tire and jack are secure.

For testing purposes, leave them at home for a test drive.

Check exhaust system clearances. A few points are close enough to frame members to make contact if the hangars are worn or stretched.

If you think it still might be swaybar related, remove one of the endlinks for a test drive. Just don't go crazy in turns since you'll have removed the anti-roll stabilization from the rear of the car.

Try to see if you can pinpoint which side it's coming from.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Also make sure the back seat cushion is firmly snapped into the floor. It will make some unusual sounds that will have you searching under the car for.

C
Addicted CEG\'er
OP Offline
Addicted CEG\'er
C
Thanks for the tips.

Removed the spare and jack, also removed my sub box and amp rack, still there. Exhaust is tight, with plenty of clearance. I just reworked the exhaust and used all new hangers thinking it might be the cause, since I was using a muffler that was a little too big for the resonator space, and was rubbing a little.

Back seat is tight, I thought that might help, but no dice. Before the new struts/mounts, it sounded like I had someone in the trunk banging around with a metal bar. It was LOUD on even the smallest bumps.

Im looking at the canister under the gas tank, it seems to rattle a little. Anyone have a problem with that before? Still not 100% positive its the problem though.

-Ken V. 1998.5 SE Praire Tan Zetec ATX psycho_bass@hotmail.com Roush springs Roush rear sway bar BAT struts 17" Millie Miglia HT3 and a ton of subtle asthetic mods
A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
did you check your sway bar bushing brackets?

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
C
Addicted CEG\'er
OP Offline
Addicted CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by AliasJerkââ??¢:
did you check your sway bar bushing brackets?

Brackets are good. I just installed my Roush 21mm bar w/ poly bushings checked them out and reinforced them a little.

Things I have done to the rear in the last few weeks:
Bat struts w/ new mounts on Roush springs
Roush bar w/ poly bushings on bar and stock endlinks
Reinforced rear control arms
Subframe connectors

As good as she handles now, it would be the PERFECT car if I could just stop the clunk

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by CRZYDRVR:
...Im looking at the canister under the gas tank, it seems to rattle a little. Anyone have a problem with that before? Still not 100% positive its the problem though.

You mean the fuel filter (under the passenger side rear). You should have a worm clamp or plastic tie holding it to the "holder".

If not, then it would be worn sway bar/endlink bushings (very common for us).

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
That would be the charcoal canister.

I've never heard of one rattling. Based on its construction, I'd find it hard to suspect it.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
C
Addicted CEG\'er
OP Offline
Addicted CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by projectSHO89:
That would be the charcoal canister.

I've never heard of one rattling. Based on its construction, I'd find it hard to suspect it.

Steve

Yup, thats the part. Guess I better look some more for the cause.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Did you check the brake cable?

Originally posted by pole120:
there are two things i can think of that are cousing your clunk......

first, check your e-brake cable, i spent $400 on new rear struts and mounts trying to get rid of a clunk and it ended up being the e-brake cable hitting the trailing arm's forward mounting bracket.

second is your spherical end links....the ones i build for my aussie bar are noisy after a couple months of use, the ball wears in the socket and a SMALL amount of slop is VERY loud in the cabin......i'ld put money on the fact it's your end links.....especially if it's a metal on metal sound. I was able to generate the noise by pushing the rear suspension down firmly and leting it return to normal position, each time i did that it would make the noise. so i climbed under the car and had a friend tdo the same, and traced it back to the end-links.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard