Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
U
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Originally posted by wk217:
Actually, I've actually been trying to get the codes read...

I purchased the OBD-2 scanner from Alex Peper a while back, (Group Buy, I believe) but have been unable to read the codes with that unit.

1. Is that unit capable of reading these codes?
2. If so, how?

Thanks.

Again, yes... the unit should be able to read these codes. Only difference is that to see the codes, you will have to be driving with the laptop hooked to the car. When the O/D light starts to blink, it should log to the codes in the software.

From the CD4E FAQ's -
From the `98 Ford Service CD -
"The MIL is illuminated for all emissions related electrical component malfunctions. For malfunctions attributable to a mechanical component (such as a clutch, gear, band, valve, etc.), some transmissions are capable of not commanding the mechanically failed component and providing the remaining maximum functionality (functionality is reassessed on each power up)- in such case a non-MIL Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) will be stored and, if so equipped, a Transmission Control Indicator Light (TCIL) will flash."

What this basically means, is that the CEL will illuminate, and stay that way, during an emmissions related electrical component faliure or malfunction. That is until the PCM memory is either cleared manually or the fault is not detected after two consecutive drive cycles.

If there is a mechanical failure, in the tranny, it will cause the TCIL (O/D light) to flash, which means that the PCM has stored a code indicating which fault it was. But!! This code will be cleared once the engine is turned off.

So. If your O/D light flashed, there was a code there to be read. If you turned your engine off before you could actually read that code, that code would disappear. If when you started your car again and the CEL was not on or the O/D light did not flash, there is nothing there to read. You will have to wait until the fault happens again.

Hope that helps

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
W
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
W
I will try to pull the codes on Monday... and post them, if any.

2003 Focus SVT, Black w/ European Package 26000 miles (Totalled) 1999 Contour SE Sport, Silver, V6 ATX 140,000 miles and counting
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard