Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
Deanna Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I have a 1995 Ford Contour Auto V6. 62k. Can the tranny be slipping already? Today I got on it. It sounded different, like it was not changing gears. That's when I saw that my RPM gage was not working. After stopping at a red light it would not go out of first gear. So I drove home. Rpm gage started to look as if they were working. but then they went back off. Went to put it in Reverse. NO Reverse. Then I managed to get it into Neutral, push the car into its space. Then attempted to get it into Park. I had to use the Parking Break.

3 hrs. Later, I came back and tried to see what it was doing. At first the rpm gage didnt work.. then it did. And I could sift gears. They were hard but I could still get the gears to move.

I am thinking electrical... I dont know if its a mod. or something. I am going to have a dianostic test done on it tomorrow. Hopefully they can help me.

Thanks..Deanna

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
If you haven't changed the ATFluid, try that first. Then I would check the Manual Lever Position Sensor (MLPS).

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
D
Deanna Offline OP
OP Offline
D
When I go get the Dianostic done. Will they see that it needs the MLPS replaced?

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Deanna:
When I go get the Dianostic done. Will they see that it needs the MLPS replaced?

If they do a real time scan, it might show that the MLPS needs to be replace, or it could just be the cables were loose at the bottom.

MLPS change.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1040336&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

The tranny shift lever cable is below the car.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1116780&Forum=trouble&Words=shift%20lever&Match=And&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=3months&Main=1116416&Search=true#Post1116780

and from Autozone.
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/d3/97/0900823d801bd397.jsp

Last edited by Tony2005; 04/10/06 02:27 AM.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Can't do a "real time scan" on a 95. You'd have to install a BOB and check it with a meter if no relevent codes are present.

Good luck with the tranny. I suspect the shop will recommend a rebuild whether it needs one or not.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
U
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Well, I'm not real sure what actually controls all this, but there is a method to the madness. I think!

There are output sensors on the transmission. These sensors take information from different components in the tranny and relay that info to the PCM. The PCM then either compiles that info or transmits it to the another compontent to output the info.

Ok... an example... How about an electric VSS.

The Vehicle Speed Sensor has a gear on the end that is spun by a gear on the output shaft of the transmission. The sensor counts the revs of the gear and transmits that information to the PCM. The PCM then translates that information and sends it to the Speedometer, which causes the needle to move around with the speed of the vehicle. At the sametime, it takes that same info, complies it and sends
that info - along with engine RPM info, to the shift solenoids which signals the proper shifting pressure and timing.

Since I'm not as familiar with OBD-I systems as I am with OBD-II systems, I'm not sure what measures engine RPM. Most likely the Crank Sensor, but still. If the CEL is not on and the engine seems to run fine, I would have to suspect either the PCM or the solenoid assembly on the tranny.

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
You might have electrical wiring problems, like a loose ground wire or short. Some 1995's had wiring harness deterioration problems. Maybe it's not the transmission itself.

R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by Tony2005:
If you haven't changed the ATFluid, try that first.

At least Check it!!! On all of our automatics, the main cause for our tranmissions acting up is the ATFluid is low. I am 99.9% sure that you check ATFluid while the car is running, as opposed to oil when the car is off. But anyways, check the fluid!

For Sale - 96 Tour Sport 2.5L MTX with SVT Exhaust, pre 98 trunklid with newer Contour Sport spoiler instead of lip spoiler, newer Contour sport rims. Newer paint job. Brand new floor mats. Rust Free! PM me for details and pics.
D
Deanna Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Well, they did a test at Aamco. And they say its not my tranny. No codes are coming up for it. They are currently looking to see what the problem is. Here is a stupid question... We washed the car 5 min pior to this happening. Had the bottom washed real good. Could some type of belt got wet? And dried? Is that why it stopped working and then worked again? and yes I have checked the fluid. it's fine as well

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Deanna:
...We washed the car 5 min pior to this happening. Had the bottom washed real good. ...

Should have posted this in the original post.

The VSS, TSS or MLPS (most likely culprit) connectors might have got wet.

If they can't find any problems, pay the diagnostic fee and drive car home immediately before they "find" something and then charge you $2000 for a rebuild.

Edit. One other thing. The ATFluid MUST be at the correct level. Too low or overfilling will cause tranny issues too. If you have not had it changed before, now is a good time. They will probably suggest it anyway.

Last edited by Tony2005; 04/11/06 06:46 PM.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard