Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1519183 03/06/06 04:16 PM
I
infratl Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
I
My power steering fluid started leaking a lot 2 days ago. I went on a trip for a week (left the car parked at home) and now it's leaking the fluid. I can't drive but 40 miles before it's completely empty.

I tried to find the source of the leak and it seems to be coming from the passenger side power steering boot. When I squeeze it a lot of fluid comes out, that doesn't happen on the driver side boot.

I'm not sure whether the boot is supposed to hold fluid in it or not. If it does hold fluid, then I'm guessing that replacing the boot would fix the problem. If it doesn't hold fluid, I have no idea what to do. I even thought of using those stop leak power steering fluids.

What are your opinions? Also, how much do you think it would cost to get it fixed at a shop? The car is my daily driver and I need to get it fixed rather quickly.

S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S
sounds like the steering rack is shot.. this happened to me a few months back.. It's kinda a PITA to change out.

Silver 98.5 SVT 5/19/98, 6023 not quite stock. 04' S2000 Silverstone Red/Black interior
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Yep, the rack puked out a side seal.

Took me all day to do it myself in the garage. Had to drop the subframe...PITA is being polite.

Call around and get quotes.

You'll likely end up with new tie rod ends and you will need an alignment as part of the job.

Prices of over $600 wouldn't surprise me.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
I
infratl Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
I
so you're saying the seal could've come off? in that case i wouldn't be able to use a stop leak type fluid.

if the seal really did come off, can it be replace or do i have to replace the whole rack and pinion?

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Replace the whole rack. Field replacement of the seals is not practical.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
I
infratl Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
I
This is something I'll probably have a shop do then... is there anything else i should go ahead and get done while doing this job?

how much do you think it'll run me on average?

thanks.

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
If you can get it done at a shop for less than $500 I'll be shocked. Do the tie-rods as well and get an alignment done.

95 Contour GL. Bought new. BAT Sway Bars/Pioneer CD/Koni Rear Struts/Mobil Fluids. Looking for 15" alloy rims-PM me. 180,500km's so far.
I
infratl Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
I
you think i should use the "stop leak" or "sealant" fluid? that way i could run on the that rack for maybe a few thousand miles more. I'm willing to try that out first if it won't damage anything else...

what do ya think?

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by infratl:
you think i should use the "stop leak" or "sealant" fluid? that way i could run on the that rack for maybe a few thousand miles more. I'm willing to try that out first if it won't damage anything else...

what do ya think?

Sure, for a few bucks, why not?

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
I
infratl Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
I
you don't think i'll mess up the pump or something else?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard