Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
P
This has become an increasing problem over the past few years it seems. I can't find a dress shirt that fits me worth a damn. The problem seems to be that if I find something that fits my neck and is the right sleeve length, the torso and the arms are cut like garbage bags, it looks sloppy, and fits like crap under a suit jacket.

I'm not a terribly big guy (5'9" 200lbs) but I need either a 16 1/2 or 17 inch neck for it to fit right, anything smaller and it feels like it's choking me. 17inches works well on a all-cotton shirt, because it shrinks down a tad, and 16 1/2 works better on blends or all synthetic shirts. 34 inch sleeve length.

I have tried a few different brands, Perry Ellis, Pierre Cardin, Geoffery Beane, Nautica... The one that seems to fit the best so far is Calvin Klein (which is odd because the rest of his stuff is way to small on me), but it still doesn't fit particularly well. I was hoping some of the guys on here might know of some designers that cut their shirts a little bit more tapered in the torso and/or in the arms. I don't really want to buy tailored shirts if I can help it!

"Bros before Hoes" <-- More men need this mentality.
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F

Well Pete my first beef with your shirt choices is that they are of the cheaper variety. I'm 5'8" with a 44" chest and about 200lbs as well. Nice to still have a 34" waist so I understand about shirt fitment.

Are you wearing a tie or doing the business casual?

If your wearing a tie I suspect your neck is abnormally large, so you may want to head to the Men's Warehouse and ask their staff for some collar extenders. I advocate buying NOTHING in that store as they sell crap. but getting a few collar extenders will give you an extra 1/2" and you might be able to get by with a 16" 34-35 off the rack shirt or at least a 16.5" collar. 17" and your really getting the balloon look I bet. A double windsor will give you a broader knot so that your shirt collar doe not look spread as well. Another tip is to remove the collar button and resew it closer to the edge.

For brands, try Hart Schafner Marx, Polo, Tommy, Joseph Abboud, Ike Behar, Facconnable, & Nicole Miller. Stick to 100% cotton as well.

Money doesn't always bring happiness. People with ten million dollars are no happier than people with nine million dollars ~ Hobart Brown
P
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
P
Originally posted by Fmr12B:

Well Pete my first beef with your shirt choices is that they are of the cheaper variety.

I don't have any problem spending more money (or although I would rather not) if it fits better.

Quote:

Are you wearing a tie or doing the business casual?[/quoute]

Wearing a tie, business casual they fit fine if the shirt is too small in the collar and I just leave the top buttons open.

"Bros before Hoes" <-- More men need this mentality.
K
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
K
Custom tailored is a good option in your case.

Kerry

99 SVT Contour Silver Frost, #365/2760, DMD 98 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro Tiptronic, 30V -- SOLD! 91 Isuzu Impulse XS Kammback, Handling By Lotus Victoria, BC, Canada
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Brand doesn't matter if the size isn't right. A good fitting $20 shift will feel better than a $100 one that fits wrong. Obviously, a $100 well fitting shirt feels great!

I'm a big fan of Land's Ends right now. Shirts aren't a much of a problem for me as pants. I need 35 1/5" inseam and no one locally stocks more than 34". I can get almost everything custom hemmed. The Vintage Khaki's are super soft. Anyway, check out their shirts. You can order from in stock selection (like 17x33 or 16.5x32) or custom order for exact fit. Go through the custom order to get descriptions of everything.

P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
Originally posted by kerrychin:
Custom tailored is a good option in your case.

Kerry

I agree.

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Go to Marshall Fields and get a "FITTED" shirt, they should be able to find one in the right collar diameter and sleeve length for you.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
I had the SAME problem when I was in good shape & working in the wine industry, I wore suit & tie every day.

My solution to the problem was to buy the baggy shirts & tailor them myself to fit. Pretty simple job & the chicks dig it.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.

Link Copied to Clipboard