Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
FM = Fine wire platinum & Nickle plated shell.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Motorcraft went through a renumbering on their spark plugs a couple of years ago and it's seems like they are still confused.

If you want a fine wire plug, try the Autolite XP104.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
F
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
F
I might just try new Motorcraft fine wire if 632FM at Autozone correct. $4.59 vs the Autolites XP 104 at Advanced for $6.48.

I've been watching the Ford Enhanced PID's ie low count and the high count are starting count. If you remember at 15000 miles my back plugs started count and I swapped the frt/back banks and the counter diminished. The ground electrodes platinium dot was almost gone on the back bank's negative firing plugs.
I am noticing the small throttle openings the response is less. Be interesting to see how the fine wires do perform.
I'd check the coil current draw but lost access a very fine clamp meter for dc current it even had a chart recorder. It's amazing what good accurate test costs. Ouch!
Wasn't even in budget while I was working!

Paul

Paul 98 Mystique LS 2ea (07/97)(08/98)
E
EricF Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
E
Wow quite the discussion I started..
Sorry(I think?)

Anyway, I bought mine from BAT.. whoops yeah I paid
waay to much, but nevertheless I am very pleased
in comparison to my worn single plats.(A-hole engine rebuilder put them in.)

These compared with a new set of Ford Racing wires, and the car is happy again.

I happened to find a website that sold Ford parts, and I
did a reverse lookup on the part and what car it fits..
and Ironically it specified that the FW was for the SVT contour.

No complaints.. even paying too much wasn't too much of a burden to recover my lost performance.(BTW my old plugs were way shot)

99 Cougar V6 Tourmaline Green: MTX, KKM, Borla Dual...
F
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
F
Thanks for updating, always nice to know how things worked out.
For me it's been a on going battle to keep up with Fords number changes and trying to cross-reference.
Maintenance updates and changes are normal now days.
Having this site is very helpful that broadbase of info most of us original owners have corrected bean-counter engineering and are enjoying our point-shoot chassis.
Our Contiques, I feel are going to be a better bang-for-buck wheels than the Fusion. Wish I could find another 98 Mystique LS but things change and we move on.

Paul

Paul 98 Mystique LS 2ea (07/97)(08/98)
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Sorry to dig up a dying thread but I have a question. On the autolite website they say that a finewire plug outperformes a double platinum finewire plug. From what I have read here I would expect the opposite to be true. Can someone explain?

99 CSVT Green/Tan # 84 of 2760 Built on Wednesday, September 30, 1998 15.376 @ 92.00 MPH Stock 75,000Km 96 Contour GL 2.5L V6 ATX 170,000Km
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I just looked at the web site again. It certainly could have been done in a less confusing manner.

First of all, IMHO, any of the Autolite or Motorcraft double platinum or iridium/platinum plugs are exceptional. Second of all, if you read more closely, they are saying that their .6mm fine wire iridium/platinum plug has better test results than a .8mm fine wire double platinum.

Personally, I think there is some wishful thinking involved.

I'm interested in the new Autolite XP plug, and may try it on the next plug change interval if the price comes down. MSRP on the Autolite web site was about $6.50 each. The Autolite double plats I bought recently for a different vehicle were $3.99 each. Pep Boys quoted me $13.50 each for Autolite XP and they would need to be special ordered. Even if the plug were gold plated I wouldn't pay that much for them.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard