Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
P
Hey everyone I was dirving down I95 in Ct and i ran over a brake DRUM. It pierced a hole into my transmion about 3 inches wide. All of the oil leaked out. I am wondering Can i get this tac-welded. I know it can be welded but will it hold, i Just got my TRANNY REBUILT 3 WEEKS ago. and it costed 1500 form AAMCO and it was running great. As soon as it happned i pulled over, any advice would be appericated. THanks alot.

fs: 18 wheels http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2427473402 WANTED: svt kit For poor college student
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
If it is a fairly clean break it should be ok but you will have to find somebody that does extremely good aluminum work or you may get leaks. good luck man

95 mystique daily driver 96 mystique parts car 95 contour 3.0L oval port swap in the works check my classified ad
P
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
P
Quote:

If it is a fairly clean break it should be ok but you will have to find somebody that does extremely good aluminum work or you may get leaks. good luck man

It is a hole i am just concerned about stuff getting inside the tranny and how could i drain it, also the chip is on a cirve of the tranny my dad said tack welding could fix it, i dont got pics but what do ya think and how much shuold i pay for welding

fs: 18 wheels http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2427473402 WANTED: svt kit For poor college student
U
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
U
You might not remember, but BT had a nice crack in his case and was able to use JB Weld to repair it and it is still holding.

Before

After

IIRC, he used 99.9% Isopropyl Alcohol (basically pure rubbing alcohol) to clean the area before applying the Weld.

Ideally, you would probably want to crack open the case and put something behind the hole when applying the weld. That way the inside portion of the weld would be smooth. But I know that is probably not going to be the easiest way to do it.

Also, if it punched a hole 3 inches wide, then I would be scared of what was inside the case either way. So... pulling it and taking the case apart might not be a bad idea, just for the piece of mind. I know this is a horrible thing to have happen, but I think it would made much worse if you were to just cover the hole and refill with fluid, thinking everything was going to be fine. Then a few hours later... BAM!

If it were me... I would try to pull out any pieces that I could possibly get to. Then try running a quart or two of fluid through the case, with the drain plug out, and allow it to drain. Inspect that and see what comes out. If you can take the pieces and make up the same area of the hole, then you should be good. If not.... there would be a 50/50 chance the other pieces are still in the case or laying on the road, were the accident happened. For me... all bets would be off and I would just have to find a way to get that tranny out, myself.

I hope everything works out for ya bro. I know this is a tough time for ya, so if you have questions or want to throw something out there, for suggestions, feel free to them at us. If you just want to have someone to "vent" at, you can always shot me a PM.

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Maybe that is an insurance claim? Just an idea..

B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
Hi All!

You might want to check out their site:

http://jbweld.net/products/uses.php

ATX still holding and working great...

Bob

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!
W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
JB Weld is great stuff...

Never used it on a transmission, but that's a great idea...

www.geocities.com/jesusfr7282000 Biblical principles work, there are no exceptions. 99 Suburban 03 Silverado 70 Skylark 79 Electra
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
If it's not where a mount is or an area that gives support, you can use jb weld. A really good product that's easy to work with and sticks to aluminum very well is called Kop Coat. Bnoon pointed me towards the stuff, and I've used it for plugging the old injector pathway in my oval port heads, closed off and smoothed the IAC area on my UIM, ect. Great stuff

If you have the piece of your trans, you can have it TIG welded back into place. I'm sure it'd have to be cleaned up a bit with a grinder, ect to get it to weld in right. But that'd be the "best" way to repair it.

If it is a mount area or the like, you might have to just get a new case all toghether.

(Insurance might cover it I had the sunroof rip off on the freeway on my Grand Cherokee, and they coverd the replacment under "act of god" )

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard