Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Tried to pull codes today with a buddy who's a Ford tech and has the high-end scanner. The PCM wouldn't dump everything that it should, which he's seen a couple times before and indicates that it's a partial PCM failure (could be as a result of the over-voltage issue - see other post). Given that I can get a junkyard PCM cheap enough, I figure I'll just go grab one and swap it in. Is the '95 PCM unique? I'm inclined to think so since '96 was ODBII, right? Do I also need to match the tranny type? i.e. If my car is a ATX, does the donor car also need to be a ATX?

Thanks,
Brad

D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
No answers on this one? I just want to know if I have any options other than a '95 w/ ATX.

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Since no else has chimed in, I'll try to help. As you mentioned, the 95 is OBD, and the 96 and newer are OBD-II. As far as I know, this means that these are different computers. I also believe that the mtx PCM is different from the atx computer. Maybe someone else will either confirm or deny.

95 Contour Zetec, ATX (wrecked, sitting in the barn) 95 Mystique Zetec, MTX 2000 Taurus SEL 3.0L Duratec 1994 Crown Victoria LX 4.6 V8 1993 Chevy Silverado 4.3 V6
N
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
N
bentleywarren:
Since no else has chimed in, I'll try to help. As you mentioned, the 95 is OBD, and the 96 and newer are OBD-II. As far as I know, this means that these are different computers. I also believe that the mtx PCM is different from the atx computer. Maybe someone else will either confirm or deny.

I confirm, you must have a 95 PCM that match your transmission (ATX or MTX).

Make sure you don't have a problem to communicate with the PCM before pointing to it as the problem.

When you replace the PCM, you have to take the information from the old one, with the NGS or the WDS ( your friend should know these) and then replace the PCM, and download the infos in the new one.

Nic.

Contour 99 MTX V6 fully loaded, stock with 110000km. Illuminated sunroof switch. About to do the mystique rear dome light conversion with eyeball dome light.
F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
95 is definitly unique. If you get a PCM from a car with the same year and drivetrain you should be all set. The programing issues are usually for local emissions. If you take a PCM from a 95 Mystique/Contour that matches your drivetrain and plug it in the car will run fine. It won't know the difference whether it's a PCM from a California car or an Alabama car because nothing else is different except the programing within the PCM. I've swaped out many PCMs regardless of the program codes and have never had an issue.

Parting out 95-97 Contours/Mystiques. Contact me directly at ALFIGOLS@yahoo.com if you're looking for a particular part.
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by Figols:
95 is definitly unique. If you get a PCM from a car with the same year and drivetrain you should be all set. The programing issues are usually for local emissions. If you take a PCM from a 95 Mystique/Contour that matches your drivetrain and plug it in the car will run fine. It won't know the difference whether it's a PCM from a California car or an Alabama car because nothing else is different except the programing within the PCM. I've swaped out many PCMs regardless of the program codes and have never had an issue.

Thanks for the response - this one makes the most sense, as I couldn't see any reason why I'd be required to move any "local" programming over, other than super-strict emissions compliance. And that should be even less of an issue on a non ODB2 car such as this. I'll drop you a line if I don't find one on my next U-Pull-It "tour".

N
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
N
If you have the PATS you will have to reprogram your keys after replacing the PCM.

Nic.

Contour 99 MTX V6 fully loaded, stock with 110000km. Illuminated sunroof switch. About to do the mystique rear dome light conversion with eyeball dome light.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard