Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Doug C. Offline OP
OP Offline
D
What do these terms really mean? I have friends telling me it means to skip a gear (go from 1st to 3rd, or 2nd to 4th) This does not sound like a good idea to me. I don't see what possible benifit this could have. I have also herd it means to never let off the gas even when shifting. This sounds horible for the clutch. Any help with what these terms are acually refering to would help. Also what benifits are gotten(better times?)
Thanks.

R
R
Doug C,

Speedshifting or powershifting is when you do not let off the gas while shifting. The benefit of this, is the engine will stay at a higher RPM between shifts and you will get more "power" out of the shift.
You should be able to gain speed quicker, which will also help with shorter times.

Scotty Luther
rscottyl@onebox.com
AOL IM: RScottyL
Built 12/9/1999
2000 Contour SVT
Toreador Red/Prairie Tan
#832 of 2150
W
W
Basically, you just press your clutch REAL quick while shifting VERY quickly, and never letting go of the gas. It's TERRIBLE for your clutch.

+Ford Thunderbird 1997 - V8
+Ford Contour 1995 GL [REST IN PEACE :(][Champagne|ATX]
-9mm Ford Racing wires
-CTA Intake Kit
-Removed exaust resonator
F
F
I've always been told that powershifting is when you keep your foot planted on the gas and dont use the clutch, just "power" the shifter into the next gear. Its the way the old muscle car guys used to shift. Not at all good for the trans.

Speedshifting is as stated above when you just tap the clutch just long enough to grab the next gear, without lifting off the gas. Still sort of bad for the trans, but not as bad as powershifting. I have speedshifted my car a few times, but I try not to make a habit of it wink

Speed kills, but it beats going slow!

Simon Langley
Black 98 SVT EO (#2119 of 6535)
269.3 FWHP, 195.4 TQ
14.123 @ 97.36
All go, and no show!
Vortech, Quaife, Driveshaft Shop Stage II axles, Magnecore Wires, Custom True Dual Exhaust.
CDW-27 1/4 Mile Registry
C
C
Quote:
...and you will get more "power" out of the shift.
You should be able to gain speed quicker, which will also help with shorter times.
True, but it beats the heck out of the tranny (especially synchro's), clutch and drive train. You'll be the fast until the car breaks.

I wouldn't speed shift (or power shift) unless winning that particular race will pay enough to repair the diff, tranny and such. Ask Terry Haines how many differentials and trannies explode with that kind of abuse. Even race cars blow up these components when driven like this. They earn enough from winning races (and sponsors,etc) to constantly repair and replace them.

"My Name is Richard. I am a Contouraholic."
1999 SE Sport Duratec ATX Spruce Green; Drop--In K&N Filter; VentShades;
Fog Lamp Fix Mod & PIAA510s with Bumper Braces & Stock Type aiming screw mod;
PIAA 9006 Super White Headlamps
AIWA CDC-MP3 HU; WeatherTech Mats
Viper 600ESP w/Remote entry
M
M
On speedshifting....so far...so good! 145K and counting...and I'm still on the original clutch!!!

95 Mystique LS Young America edition, V6, MTX, Yeah...it's stock. Now with new underhood wiring!!! My Profile
Moderator of the Florida Contour Enthusiast Group
T
T
I think speed shifting is safe as long as you dont miss gears and can do it quick enough that the revs dont climb too much. I think doing it quick might actually not hurt the car at all. I dont know about the synchros but the driveline itself and clutch should be fine.

D
D
fst4dr nailed it.

I do a slightly modified version of speed shifting.

I let off the pedal to around 1/2 to 3/4 (you can tell by sound or rpms) as I tap the clutch pedal and quick shift.

This way the engine doesn't repetetively bounce off the rev limiter (fuel/spark cut) yet still keeps the throttle open and the air/fuel flowing.
It also let's the rpms fall a bit to a lower level and is easier on the syncros trying to match speeds. (thus faster shifting)

If you can really drive well wink (Practice!) you can speed shift and rpm match instantly thus be able to shift faster by doing most of the syncros work for it. Plus you have less chance to hurt it.

2000 SVT #674 - Check it out!

Whoever coined the phrase; "If it ain't broke; don't fix it" ~ Just doesn't get it...
D
Doug C. Offline OP
OP Offline
D
what about shifting directly from 1st into 3rd? It seems like this would be just pointless.

M
M
With enough practice...you know when to shift to avoid ever hitting the rev-limiter. I do it all the time. I'm to the point where it feels like an automatic tranny wink

As for the 1-3 shift....I sometimes shift 1-4 if I do a WOT to redline in 1st....even done 1-5 sometimes. No real reason to do it....just because I can. laugh

95 Mystique LS Young America edition, V6, MTX, Yeah...it's stock. Now with new underhood wiring!!! My Profile
Moderator of the Florida Contour Enthusiast Group
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard