Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
belt, that is, at 175,000 miles. The dealer said it was getting cracks in it. What is the average life you guys have gotten out of the waterpump belt? I figure 175,000 is pretty good, if the second one lasts as long, the car will long be relegated to the junk yard before it wears out. By the way, the waterpump itself, is the original.

-Mark- '99 Mystique LS, totally original (including the original water pump and the premium stereo)! Bought new in December 1998 for $21,000. 208,000 miles
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
most people around here change belts like oil. Way before they go bad. cheap insurance. Theres a ton of people on here that swap there motors before 175k miles. You still running the stock plugs and wires?

98 csvt t-red.. sho-shop intake, b&m, fidanza, spec1 clutch, Torsen, DMD,optimized Y& TB, Brullen, rear strut bar,h&r's,17" konig traffik's. "I say what I mean and I do what i say"
B
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
I'm still running the original ignition cables. The first set of plugs was replaced at 60,000 miles, the second set was replaced at 135,000 miles.

-Mark- '99 Mystique LS, totally original (including the original water pump and the premium stereo)! Bought new in December 1998 for $21,000. 208,000 miles
H
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
H
Can you recommend places/brands of belts and wires to use to replace the stock stuff? Part numbers too...if you have them. Thx

R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
For the V6?

Plugs:
Autolite Double Platinum #APP764
(Or motorcraft equiv. same thing..)
gap to 0.054 (not set out of the box, so just do yourself a favor and gap them..
Wires:
Motorcraft OEM replacement wires or (MAYBE) Ford Racing 9mm wires.
Replace on the engine one at a time, so you don't mix them up and reverse the firing order on any (the duratec is NOT a straight up match.. the coilpack and engine aren't identical)

Belts:
gatorback makes a nice one, and not much more than the oem replacement, but is "said" to last longer.. no real world experience with that, though.

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
I've been running the gatorback for about 30k now for my serpentine belt. I know it seems to be wearing a lot less then my original belt that came with the car (replaced that at 65k). I'll let you guys know how it wears as time goes on.

I'm also on my original WP and belt. I'm thinking about changing it out this summer (car will have 100k on it at that time). When have water pumps typically been failing on the 2000's?

-Chris 2000 SE Sport V6 5spd (all stock except for EO brakes)
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by sail114:
I've been running the gatorback for about 30k now for my serpentine belt. I know it seems to be wearing a lot less then my original belt that came with the car (replaced that at 65k). I'll let you guys know how it wears as time goes on.

I'm also on my original WP and belt. I'm thinking about changing it out this summer (car will have 100k on it at that time). When have water pumps typically been failing on the 2000's?

Mine hasn't

Jim

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats".--H.L. Mencken Bumper sticker, OXYMORON #65 - Liberal Thinker
D
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
D
Ray:
I bought those plugs you speak of when i changed mine, but the box said they were pre-gapped to that spec. I wonder, have the changed at all? I had heard that they werent gapped before i did my change as was suprised to see they were, any ideas?

Goonz12: <---tries on mommy's cloths
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
"pre gapped" plugs are SOOOO far off.. if they AREN'T off I would be surprised, even on ONE plug. DON'T trust the statement.. it takes two seconds to check the gap..

you'll thank yourself later!

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

Link Copied to Clipboard