Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
15mm

1998 Mystique LS: -2.5 Duratec ATX -Vibrant White -------------------- =Pics= =Info=
A
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
A
yep it is 15mm, but get a boxed wrench w/ a long handle from Sears or you will be stripping it. notice how grease monkeys always tighten them something insane? that's not because they are doing it on purpose: left to their own devices they'd leave it out altogether. it's just because you always get to it from a bad angle. with a nice wrench you will be surprised you ever had trouble w/ it before.

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
I just wanted to add that you should try to get a 6 point wrench, rather than 12 point. 6 point will be touching more surface area on the head of the bolt, less chance of rounding it off.
But while we are on the subject, is there an actual torque specification on the drain plug? I've tried searching before...

Last edited by Tavis426; 05/17/05 07:01 AM.

'99 SVT Contour #535/2760, born 11/30/98. Toreador Red / Prairie Tan Wife's car: '00 Saturn LS2. Dk. Toreador Red (no joke) / Graphite Sunday Bruiser: '67 Camaro rs/SS350 4 spd. Ermine White / Custom Yellow
L
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
L
i hate laziness.

Mike 99' Silver CSVT 95' Silver Acura Integra www.latest-craze.com
L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
Why didn't you ask me when I saw you on Saturday? I would have showed you where the plug was.

How'd you make out with the oil change?

A
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by Tavis426:
6 point will be touching more surface area on the head of the bolt, less chance of rounding it off.

that's not true, though. any boxed wrench will touch at 6 points.

craftsman used to sell curiously cut open ends which -- they said -- was applying the pressure to the side of the hex rather than the edge. anybody knows what I'm talking about?

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by alex_96GL:

that's not true, though. any boxed wrench will touch at 6 points.

craftsman used to sell curiously cut open ends which -- they said -- was applying the pressure to the side of the hex rather than the edge. anybody knows what I'm talking about?

To your first statement, I have to disagree. With a 6-point, every square mm of bolt head surface is touching wrench. How is that not better?
To your second statement, are you talking about line wrenches, like for brake lines and whatnot?

'99 SVT Contour #535/2760, born 11/30/98. Toreador Red / Prairie Tan Wife's car: '00 Saturn LS2. Dk. Toreador Red (no joke) / Graphite Sunday Bruiser: '67 Camaro rs/SS350 4 spd. Ermine White / Custom Yellow
A
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
A
they say a picture is worth 1000 words

Originally posted by Tavis426:
To your first statement, I have to disagree. With a 6-point, every square mm of bolt head surface is touching wrench. How is that not better?

this is what in fact happens:

I might have excagerated the difference in sizes, but you gut the idea. you don't apply pressure to six sides, you actually apply pressure to six edges -- which is why in fact you round off bolts if you are not careful.

Quote:

To your second statement, are you talking about line wrenches, like for brake lines and whatnot?

this is the one (craftsman 5" 15mm combo wrench va-47957):

so you see what happens: the outward arch of the lower side pushes on a sides of a bolt, rather than on the edge.
in theory at least. i don't see these wrenches in craftsman catalog anymore, so may be they were not that popular. I have mine and it actually works no worse than any open end

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
I see your point, alex, and I don't disagree with that. But with a 6 point, it is harder to round bolts off, that's just my experience. In your illustration, that is the spot where a 12 point wrench would be flexing, and about to let the bolt slip by to the next set of edges. I'm not saying 6 points don't flex, I'm just saying that you have less chance of having to break out the Vice-Grips when using a 6 point.
As far as the wrench, I do vaguely remember those wrenches. Certainly not a standard line wrench. No worse than an open end wrench, eh? But no better? If not, I'm sure that's exactly why they didn't sell, and why they are not available anymore.
After just writing that, I realize that we are kinda hijacking this thread. I think the original post's questions were answered, though?

D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
I hope you never have to remove your ypipe cause that bolt looks welded on there in rust. You might have to have that torched off,

98 csvt t-red.. sho-shop intake, b&m, fidanza, spec1 clutch, Torsen, DMD,optimized Y& TB, Brullen, rear strut bar,h&r's,17" konig traffik's. "I say what I mean and I do what i say"
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard