Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
N
I agree with it in some situations... some people are genetically predestined to be fat unless they have a super strict diet and exercise daily. These people grew up as obese children and obese young adults. By the time they realize they need to do something they are 350-400lbs. Try exercising at a gym when you are 400lbs. We all say "if I was that fat I would stop eating." People who have this problem often times have a psychological disorder or reliance on the food. Its like telling all smokers to quit cold turkey or alcoholics to put the bottle down. Imagine a surgery that would force you to only smoke one cig a week or only allow you to drink 3 beers a week. (being 400lbs is much worse then either of those habits) Stomach stapling sounds terrible and unnatural but for some its their only option.
Its like lifting weights. If you lift weights for a while and don't see results then you are likely to give up. Conversly if you see big results you would be more apt to push yourself harder and stengthen your workout. The stapling gives near immediate results which is usually accompanied by increased confidence and self esteem.

05 Legacy GT Turbo 5speed 99 SVT GRN/TAN (sold) 06 Ford Explorer EBv8
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Originally posted by Zoom Zoom Diva:
I am not against the procedure, but I am against insurance covering the procedure and people being able to use disability while recovering.

Normally used for people who are 100lbs overwight.

Now while I kinda agree on the above statement it is probably saving the insurance companies in the long run as these overweight people develop other more costly health problems. (High Blood Pressure, Heart Disease & Diabetes to name a few)

This $10K one time fix has some good results. It's not just that these people feel full, they will be physically sick if they eat too much.

Now, the long term effects are unknown, and this is the primary reason I have not opted for Lasik surgery.

Money doesn't always bring happiness. People with ten million dollars are no happier than people with nine million dollars ~ Hobart Brown
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
I have three coworkers that have done it, and I don't deny the results. However, I still think it shouldn't be covered.

If gastric bypass is covered, so should LASIK. You could say that a person will easily spend more in glasses and contacts than the surgury costs.

Same argument.

Brad "Diva": 2004 Mazda 6s 5-door, Volcanic Red Rex: 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, Harbor Blue.
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by neelnug:
I agree with it in some situations... some people are genetically predestined to be fat unless they have a super strict diet and exercise daily. These people grew up as obese children and obese young adults. By the time they realize they need to do something they are 350-400lbs. Try exercising at a gym when you are 400lbs. We all say "if I was that fat I would stop eating." People who have this problem often times have a psychological disorder or reliance on the food. Its like telling all smokers to quit cold turkey or alcoholics to put the bottle down. Imagine a surgery that would force you to only smoke one cig a week or only allow you to drink 3 beers a week. (being 400lbs is much worse then either of those habits) Stomach stapling sounds terrible and unnatural but for some its their only option.
Its like lifting weights. If you lift weights for a while and don't see results then you are likely to give up. Conversly if you see big results you would be more apt to push yourself harder and stengthen your workout. The stapling gives near immediate results which is usually accompanied by increased confidence and self esteem.

I agree with this, however you point out something that is inherently 'wrong' with our modern culture. People, in general, nowadays want a quick solution. I know I see it all the time with people who are even a little overweight or unfit. They exercise for a couple of weeks or months, and then quit because they don't 'perceive' a big result.
In actual fact it takes a very long time for your body to adjust and react to a new lifestyle. For instance, when exercising & dieting, the first thing that will happen is, generally, a big weight loss due to loss of retained water. This is a relative quick reaction, and spurs people to continue. After this you get to the dreaded 'plateu' where you weight will drop very slowly, or even maintain itself. It is at this point that most people quit, because they don't see a continued change. What is in effect happening is that their body is slowly adjusting, increasing metabolic rate for instance. You'll find also that many people concentrate on their weight as opposed to their figure (or fit of clothes), golden rule here is that muscle weighs more than fat.

1998.5 T-Red on Midnight Blue SVT Build Number 5320 of 6535
D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by Fmr12B:
I am not against the procedure, but I am against insurance covering the procedure and people being able to use disability while recovering.

Now while I kinda agree on the above statement it is probably saving the insurance companies in the long run as these overweight people develop other more costly health problems. (High Blood Pressure, Heart Disease & Diabetes to name a few)

This $10K one time fix has some good results. It's not just that these people feel full, they will be physically sick if they eat too much.

Now, the long term effects are unknown, and this is the primary reason I have not opted for Lasik surgery.

I wouldn't dare compare this to lasik!!! Nothing experimental really about lasik. Its about understanding lenses and focal points. Laser reshapes cornea so light refocuses properly. Just like setting a broken bone and putting in a cast. I have had laser corrected vision for 5 years now. IT is awesome. It is corrected to 20/12.5 I compared it with friends by trying to read some sighns ans my vision was better than everyones

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Originally posted by DJ Capp 911:

I wouldn't dare compare this to lasik!!! Nothing experimental really about lasik. Its about understanding lenses and focal points. Laser reshapes cornea so light refocuses properly. Just like setting a broken bone and putting in a cast. I have had laser corrected vision for 5 years now. IT is awesome. It is corrected to 20/12.5 I compared it with friends by trying to read some sighns ans my vision was better than everyones

So by 'long term' you look at five years?

They reshaped your cornea but cutting some of it away! Any idea what the long term effects will be and if your vision worsens then what?

And ZoomZoomDiva, my insurance does cover a percentage of the lasik. Hell my Dental insurance covers orthodontics. Both Cosmetic elective procedures.........

Money doesn't always bring happiness. People with ten million dollars are no happier than people with nine million dollars ~ Hobart Brown
D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by DJ Capp 911:

So by 'long term' you look at five years?

They reshaped your cornea but cutting some of it away! Any idea what the long term effects will be and if your vision worsens then what?

And ZoomZoomDiva, my insurance does cover a percentage of the lasik. Hell my Dental insurance covers orthodontics. Both Cosmetic elective procedures.........

Considering after 5 years my vision hasn't worsened one bit, i think that is a good preliminary statement. The only healing process involved is healing the cornea flap that they cut to reshape the cornea. Think of knee surgery when you tear a minisucus. They cut some of it away. IF you reinjure it, they will have to cut more away and you will wear some down over time as well I wouldn't call cornea's a wear item

My lasik was completely covered by insurance, thats why i got it done!!!

J
JB1 Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
agreed, lasik is different than gastric bypass. i also had it done five years ago. through no fault of my own i could not see without my contacts. no amount of exercise was going to fix that. gastric bypass on the other hand is weak mans way of getting results. an example of the right way: 14 years ago one of my buddies decided he wanted his wife and son more than he wanted to be an alcoholic, so one day he just put the bottle down for good. 14 years later he still doesn't drink.

the subject of this thread has has been told many times by me that there will be no weight loss without exercise. yet she continues to refuse to get up and seriously exercise despite having run track all through high school and college. for this reason i am completely against this decision which has caused some family tension. oh well, i stand by my judgement.

Quote:

Considering after 5 years my vision hasn't worsened one bit

my vision was perfect after the surgury and has since improved even further.

Last edited by my csvt; 02/10/05 01:56 AM.

00 black/tan svt, #2052 of 2150, born 2/1/00 formerly known as my csvt "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King, Jr.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard