Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1175241 02/04/05 02:07 AM
B
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
I'm looking at buying a big screen TV (52"), and I'm torn between conventional CRT rear projection models and the new DLP rear projection models. DLP's cost twice as much as CRT models, but the weight and depth advantages are obvious.

I read this month's Consumer Reports, and they indicated that the CRT type projection models are old technology, but fairly well proven and reliable. The DLP models are unknown as far as reliability goes. I don't trust getting advice from Best Buy or Sears, since they probably won't know squat. Don't try to sell me on plasmas or LCD panel models, I'm definitely not interested in that much money. Just looking for a decent bigscreen that will outlast the payments. Anybody out there own one of the DLP models yet, and if so, what do you think of it?

-Mark- '99 Mystique LS, totally original (including the original water pump and the premium stereo)! Bought new in December 1998 for $21,000. 208,000 miles
#1175242 02/04/05 02:34 AM
D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
Friends have DLP's very nice , much better than rear projection. REar projection sucks unless it is brand new and you are sitting directly in front of it. DLP has much better viewing angles. Keep researching plasma and LCD, you may be surprised, prices have come down quite a bit over the past couple of years

#1175243 02/04/05 02:40 AM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Is this TV going to be HD? If it isn't why don't you get a 30-36" widesceen HDTV?

95 SE MTX svt exhaust intake deer killer
#1175244 02/04/05 03:34 AM
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
listen i've been selling these things for about five years,dont tell me your one of those"i dont want a plasma b/c my friends friends dad said they only last three years"...and as far as dlp,i'd think about that choice,take alook at the lcd projections, cleaner picture,sharper picture, and no moving parts inside like the dlp. The advantage to the lcd prj/dlp is no screen burn in and wider viewing angle than conv projo's. the down side is your going to have to buy a new bulb every 4-5k hours, the price is between 175-300 dollars,and under no circumstance are they covered under warranty another thing you have to worry about are dead pixels, they will happen is we are starting to find out at work,and thats not covered either,although we did have this pia customer who had a pixel died called hitachi over and over and finally hitachi replaced the tv w/one circustance he was never to buy another hitachi tv!!!!anyways you cant beat the color and depth of plasmas,the viewing angle and versatility,i.e computer monitors,hanging,etc we've had a pioneer in the store for over three years running 11 hours a day and it looks just as good as almost any of the new model,down side screen burn in,although its curable on some of the better models

"Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but STUPID lasts forever."-Aristophanes. --93 pgt,headers,intake,borla=14.9 1/4mile
#1175245 02/04/05 03:37 AM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Gen1 DLP projection TV's caused headaches (literally) for some people, and even with current- gen models, a "rainbow" effect can be seen, although it's very rare.

Toshiba DLP has been the best quality I've seen so far, with a VERY respectable price:technology ratio.

There are two other options- RP LCD, which isn't quite as bright or offer quite as wide a viewing angle, and LCoS (Liquid Crystal on Silicon) which is supposed to be cheaper and at least equal to DLP in quality.

My advice- bring a notebook and go to a Best Buy or Circuit City... or any other higher-end shops around (Tweeter isn't bad), and just take a look. Make note of the size, weight, capabilities (how many inputs do you need vs. how many will you use), color depth, black depth, brightness, and viewing angle. Also bear in mind viewing distance is important to the size of the screen you get. If you're sitting 4' away, a 60" TV will be a waste of money.

1998 SVT Contour Silver Frost for sale in Classifieds.
#1175246 02/04/05 03:37 AM
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by tour96se:
listen i've been selling these things for about five years,dont tell me your one of those"i dont want a plasma b/c my friends friends dad said they only last three years"...and as far as dlp,i'd think about that choice,take alook at the lcd projections, cleaner picture,sharper picture, and no moving parts inside like the dlp. The advantage to the lcd prj/dlp is no screen burn in and wider viewing angle than conv projo's. the down side is your going to have to buy a new bulb every 4-5k hours, the price is between 175-300 dollars,and under no circumstance are they covered under warranty another thing you have to worry about are dead pixels, they will happen is we are starting to find out at work,and thats not covered either,although we did have this pia customer who had a pixel died called hitachi over and over and finally hitachi replaced the tv w/one circustance he was never to buy another hitachi tv!!!!anyways you cant beat the color and depth of plasmas,the viewing angle and versatility,i.e computer monitors,hanging,etc we've had a pioneer in the store for over three years running 11 hours a day and it looks just as good as almost any of the new model,down side screen burn in,although its curable on some of the better models

I sat in front of a LCD Rear Projection TV the other day, and the viewing angle is EXTREMELY impressive. I highly recommend it!

2005 Subaru Legacy | Ban Them Forever
#1175247 02/04/05 04:28 AM
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
There are two other options- RP LCD, which isn't quite as bright or offer quite as wide a viewing angle, and LCoS (Liquid Crystal on Silicon) which is supposed to be cheaper and at least equal to DLP in quality.
actually most people who come in find the lcd "easier" to watch, and LCoS is interesting to watch, its really more like watching something in 3d, once you get used to it the pic is great

"Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but STUPID lasts forever."-Aristophanes. --93 pgt,headers,intake,borla=14.9 1/4mile
#1175248 02/04/05 04:41 AM
M
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
M
what about front projection?

02 Mustang GT... Tuned by Nelsons. Low 12's, anyone? .....______ ___|______\_____ |/-\_________/-\_| .\_/...............\_/
#1175249 02/04/05 05:04 AM
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
they're becoming a good/popular choice, but they really require a certain setting/setup to get the optimal picture, plus they might be more than he's willing to spend?

#1175250 02/04/05 10:57 AM
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by bishop375:

My advice- bring a notebook and go to a Best Buy or Circuit City...

Remember the time when this guy did the same thing as he was taking notes at Best Buy for the item he wanted to buy by comparing with other brand and prices and he got busted by the Best Buy security? Then he sued Best Buy for doing this to him? You should do this! Maybe youll get away with a brand new TV if ya fight back! lol

-dan

98 CSVT 484/6535,18" MI Rims,Nitto NEO GEN Tires,Pioneer DEH-P7300,Custom Cougar CIA,CF Hood,McCULLOCH HID 6K,Custom painted red calipers,Flowmaster 40s mufflers,Drilled Slot rotors,K&N 9" air filter,Brullen HiFlo Y Pipe & CAT,Magnaflow Res
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard