Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Kirill Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hi,

I read on this board that Kappas 693.3i should go fine in to front doors - how you do it ? It looks like you need to get about an inch of metal off.

I got a 98 Contour SE

Regards,
Kirill

Regards,
Kirill
98.5 Contour SE Silver Frost (powered by Duratec 2.5L)
Nakamichi CD-45Z -> Phoenix Gold XS4300 -> Infinity Kappa 693.3i
\_ Blaupunkt ODx694
S
S
Make a baffle using 3/4" MDF. It should give you enough clearance for the Kappa's basket to drop into the existing hole without cutting up your doors.

1999 SVT #900/2760
Born on 1-20-99
Silver Frost/Midnight Blue
A few aesthetic and audio mods
K
Kirill Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hi,

Thank you for advice. Just to make me feel better - will door plastic fit ok over 3/4" MDF and speaker ?

Regards,
Kirill

Regards,
Kirill
\_ Blaupunkt ODx694
S
S
Quote:
Originally posted by Kirill:
Hi,

Thank you for advice. Just to make me feel better - will door plastic fit ok over 3/4" MDF and speaker ?

Regards,
Kirill

Yup. I used 3/4" MDF to mount my 6.5" drivers.

1999 SVT #900/2760
Born on 1-20-99
Silver Frost/Midnight Blue
A few aesthetic and audio mods
T
T
I put the Kappa 693.3 into my Contour with no problems. I had the older ones with the green cones and they came with a plastic spacer that went behind the speaker frame. Do the newer ones not come with this spacer anymore? Please let me know as I am considering this speaker for my second Contour as I really liked the sound.

take a ride, take a shot now

Black 98.5 SVT (sold)
Silver 99 SVT (work in progress)
K
Kirill Offline OP
OP Offline
K
No,

New one is kind of silver - and it doesn't go in a standart speaker space in front doors. Not even with 3/4 MDF. I am curently cutting mettal to make hole a bit bigger. I bought thoese in september and my car was in a shop for 4 months (damm Allstate) so i can't return them.

I don't think SVT and non-SVT doors are diferent ?

Regards,
Kirill

Regards,
Kirill
\_ Blaupunkt ODx694
J
J
Rant on. In regards to this upgrade on speakers......it sux and does not work.....the only way those speakers will fit is if you dont open your windows again and cut a very large hole in your doors. I bought these speakers yesterday because someone said "they fit with no mods and no cutting" <----- THIS IS A FLAT OUT LIE!!!! Man I was so mad when they didnt fit. Do not waste your time with the infinity speakers unless you are looking to cut up your doors bigtime! Rant off!

Always looking for a good race or show! 1998 SVT EO #513 KKM Intake, Deleted Resonator, Pioneers up front, and in the rear,Silver Dash, Custom Tail Lights......more motor to follow!Check out some of my pics. http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4292274257 Email me. GTiHawk@AOL.COM
K
Kirill Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Quote:
Originally posted by John Luna:
Rant on. In regards to this upgrade on speakers......it sux and does not work.....the only way those speakers will fit is if you dont open your windows again and cut a very large hole in your doors. I bought these speakers yesterday because someone said "they fit with no mods and no cutting" <----- THIS IS A FLAT OUT LIE!!!! Man I was so mad when they didnt fit. Do not waste your time with the infinity speakers unless you are looking to cut up your doors bigtime! Rant off!

Well, i got mine in. The trick is you need to put grill support behind speakers to get about 3/4" clearance from the door - otherwise you may get problems with your windows, but that still not enough and you need to cut some metal off - not a lot, about half inch, and only on a half of standard place. Another good advice is go to Home Depot and get 2" self drilling metal screws and a rubber washers (from pluming department).
I was very disappointed and said many f-words while putting my first speaker, but i installed my second one in under 2 hours.

Regards,
Kirill
\_ Blaupunkt ODx694
D
D
Kirill is exactly right. You need a .75" to 1" spacer made of MDF or plywood. Mount that to your door then the speakers to the adapter you just made. No cutting aside from drilling some new holes, and the windows will still work.

J
J
Well thanks for the input guys but I already returned the speakers and Im going with componets front and rear.....I wasnt looking to cut at ALL that was the whole thing. I know Im not going to hear as well as Id like but Ill have to make do.

Always looking for a good race or show! 1998 SVT EO #513 KKM Intake, Deleted Resonator, Pioneers up front, and in the rear,Silver Dash, Custom Tail Lights......more motor to follow!Check out some of my pics. http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4292274257 Email me. GTiHawk@AOL.COM
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard