Next Thread
Print Thread
#1045243 09/07/04 10:35 PM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Was driving on a 6-lane highway over the weekend, and found that my brakes are not as good as I want. They didn't haul me down nearly as quickly as I would like, and had terrible initial bite. Given that the pads and rotors are roughly a year old, and I didn't cheap out on them (all Euro Rotor stuff), I am thinking that the car should be stopping better than it is. One thing that I noticed is that the front rotors are really shiny, which could be hurting that initial bite.

I have yet to do a full inspection, but would welcome any and all suggestions as to what I can do to improve the current brakes' performance. Worst comes to worst and I have bad calipers, SVTF pack is going on.

98 Silver Frost SVT 97 BMW 540I Sport, six speed "Blue is for sky, black is for soil, and white is for simplicity, purity and hope for the future" "A coveted car should never stunt your life, but should make it more rich and interesting."
S
Zippy Zetec on his last legs.
Zippy Zetec on his last legs.
S
have your rotors "glazed over"??? thast what it sounds like....im believe its caused by excessive heat.

Regards, Cole. Relegating to troll status sometime this week. New Whip: 1990 Lexus ES250. Old Hotness: 1995 GL MTX Zetec *IN TRIAGE* "I had a little friend once, but it dont move no more... "
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
And how would I properly fight this problem? Pull the rotors and rough them up with sand paper? Use those 3M scuffing discs?

98 Silver Frost SVT 97 BMW 540I Sport, six speed "Blue is for sky, black is for soil, and white is for simplicity, purity and hope for the future" "A coveted car should never stunt your life, but should make it more rich and interesting."
B
Learned patience the hard way
Learned patience the hard way
B
First thing I'd suggest is bleeding the brakes. It doesn't take too long for brake fluid to start adding moisture. Secondly, after the inspection and bleeding as long as all appears fine and you aren't getting an pulsation in the pedal, I'd go re-bed your brakes. Basically do 3-4 65-0mph panic stops back to back and then drive down the highway for a good 20 minutes to cool them back off. Those two items should help you regain some better braking.

Rick

Owner of 00 #1611 Silver (Totalled) 98.5 T-Red SVT #6180 Buckshot77@msn.com Misc 3L parts for sale
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
I intend to bleed the brakes ($39 Cdn. at my Ford dealer -- easy annual maintenance), but will wait for my inspection. I have some concern that the calipers are not squeezing equally: that is, the inside pad is wearing faster then the outside pad. If that is the case, I have some work to do.....

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
yea Phil Rohtla read my post on getting out the old red brake fluid and replacint it with clear fluid from the master cylinder to the abs system to the brake lines of the car.

L
Webmaster
Webmaster
L
Originally posted by Phil Rohtla:
I intend to bleed the brakes ($39 Cdn. at my Ford dealer -- easy annual maintenance), but will wait for my inspection. I have some concern that the calipers are not squeezing equally: that is, the inside pad is wearing faster then the outside pad. If that is the case, I have some work to do.....

Sounds like the calipers aren't floating on the pins.

Also, are you sure the caliper springs are installed correctly?

-Lance

Lance Kinley CEG Webmaster 95 SE, "Cassandra" 10 years!
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Caliper springs are on correctly (went back and forth when installing for refernce). The pins are worrysome. Will check this weekend, weather permitting.

G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Go here.... StopTech.com
Read FAQ #1, part 1.

Last edited by gearhead; 09/13/04 03:00 AM.

'99 Sport TropicGreen,Duratec, SVT exhaust, Brembo rotors, Ceramic pads, K&N filters(oil & air), Alpine CDM7874, Polk DB570 speakers front and rear. Fog light mod. 50% Formula One tint.

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard